A few issues worth deciding on: Spammers

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Garner, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Okay gang, this stems from email conversations while I was at work, a CC list that includes myself, Electricman, Rinso, and Buzzfloyd. (if anyone else wants on that list for debating board policy during the day, let us know).

This issue is about spammers.

I would like to propose a definition of "Spammers" for our boards:

There are two varieties, unrelated and related. Unrelated spamming is the worse crime, and in these cases is defined as PayPal abuse, pyramid scams, ponzi schemes, and any 'first post' advertisements for anything unrelated to the community.

I would think these posts can be immediately deleted by a moderator without requiring deliberation from the community. That's what we've said a mod's chief job should be from day 1.

Related spammers are those whos first post advertises something discworldy, or related to the community in other ways. I feel this is not such a blatant crime and would frequently stem from a misunderstanding or an unawareness of our rules.

I think they ought to be given a warning based on the specifics of the case, and maybe a nudge to the stamps forum for some.

It's worth pointing out that only one or two of the paypal spammers on the old site ever posted more than one topic, and thus deleting their posts is likely to be far more effecient than getting the administrator to ban each and every one of them, but I would like to suggest that if we ever see one posting multiple ads for their illegal get rich quick schemes, taht we delete all posts AND ban the account.

There is an alternative to deleting spam posts, which is that we lock the thread and move it to the Dungeon Dimensions. This may be more appealing to those with an extreme distaste for deleting anything whatsoever.

Personally, I only think that would be appropriate for someone advertising their discworld ebay auction or the like, where the poster might want to join the community after they learn our rules, but not want to have their first post deleted.

How do people feel about this? I'd rather just hear oppinions right now than actually set up a poll.

Oh, and Ben, Damien, if i left out anything important, please add it in!
  2. Maljonic Administrator

Sounds reasonable to me.
  3. sampanna New Member

Sounds ok to me .. deleting unrelated spam outright is fine. Related spam, as you say, might be better directed to the dungeons.
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

that sounds good to me.

PayPal spamming automatic ban.

Discworld spamming, lock and move, direct the person to the rules.
  5. colonesque10 New Member

Sounds good to me too.

GGG, you can add me to that e-mailing list for the next 4 days if you wan't because i'm off work. :)
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm one of the people who normally objects violently to anything being deleted. However, I hold the opinion that there are certain kinds of post that constitute a 'non-post'. The only two that I would currently include in that definition are unrelated spam posts and double posts. I am happy for both of these sorts of post to be deleted straight away without checking with anyone.

Related spam posts should be locked and moved to the DD.
  7. Hsing Moderator

Sounds perfect.
    Deleting is, in the cases of unrelated spamming, to be preffered from placing them in the Dungeon Dimensions. What would it be worth to archive the content of a massive spamming wave in a forum, even if its the one for dead threads?
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

okay, i'll clarify a few things then.

1) Kenny, we'll need your email address. I'm too lazy to look for it, so make sure rinso or grace has it.
    2) Double posts should be up to the poster to delete, not mods.
    3) only 'related spam' should be moved to the dungeon dimensions, otherwise as Hsing says, we'll wind up with a folder full of six hundred variations on "MAKE MONEY NOW USING PAYPAL! IT REALLY WORKS!" and two posts by rinso, one titled "Xo I gog drknu agaain an the gods police pup thin g dosdw" and another titled "Stop showing them fotphos of the Happy Retarrd"
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:377f712189="Garner"]2) Double posts should be up to the poster to delete, not mods.[/quote:377f712189]
    Yes, I was just giving it as an example of the kind of post that is OK to delete on sight. I wasn't saying that mods should be in charge of deleting them. Bugger that!
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*nod* didn't think you were, just wanted to clarify.
  11. Cynical_Youth New Member

All very sensible, I agree.
  12. redneck New Member

Sounds good to me.
  13. Ba Lord of the Pies

Sounds good to Ba.
  14. Roman_K New Member

Sounds good to me, too.
  15. Garner Great God and Founding Father

If there are no objections or nothing new to be added, I say we table this and slip it into a revised guideliens at the first opportunity.
  16. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:f3743530ae="Garner"]If there are no objections or nothing new to be added, I say we table this and slip it into a revised guideliens at the first opportunity.[/quote:f3743530ae]

Second it. If thats required. Basically I agree with it. :)
  17. Garner Great God and Founding Father

well, we'll keep it open until we've gotten around to putting it into the rules, for folks to object on now, but they'll get another chance to object on it once we reassemble the guidelines.
  18. Tephlon Active Member

I "many" it.

Could you add me to that list? I don't always have time/opportunity to go on the board, but I can usually check my e-mail during working hours.

You've got my e-mail adress, Garner (You sent the GarnerChess rules to it.).
  19. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I only have that address at home, I'm afraid, but I'll try to remember to make a note of it. You'd be better off PM'ing it to E-man, really. He can check the boards while he's at work, I can't.
  20. Electric_Man Templar

Also note that we english get a bank holiday on monday, so it won't start up until tuesday.

But PM away if you do so wish.
  21. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Warning:These e-mails consist of ALOT of inane chatter.
  22. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:5ffdc9785b="Rincewind"]Warning:These e-mails consist of ALOT of inane chatter.[/quote:5ffdc9785b]

That is really only when your involved in them Rinso. :)
  23. OmKranti Yogi Wench

It all sounds good to me. Thanks guys. :)
  24. gladius New Member

Thats not enough. Recently a biggest Russian spammer has been killed. This seems to put some real meaning into the words "SPAMKILLER". :lol: