Board clacks tower

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Ecksian, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Ecksian New Member

Is there any way to add a clacks link to the top of the boards to let us know when we have new messages?
    I don't often go the the homepage, my bookmark is for the boards themselves, and I just dicovered that I had a clacks from Cynth that is nearly two months old. [b:9b90d2915d][u:9b90d2915d]Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:26 pm[/u:9b90d2915d][/b:9b90d2915d]
  2. Electric_Man Templar

There's a pop-up message thing that you can enable to alert you when there are new messages in your inbox.

Go to "Your Account" > "Your Info" to find this option
  3. Ecksian New Member

Yeah, I know about that, I intentionally disabled it because I hate pop-ups with a vengance.
    I was thinking of just a discrete link at the top of the board, somthing along the lines of 'you have x new clacks' near the 'view posts since last visit' link.
  4. Electric_Man Templar

It's strange to say it, but pop-ups are actually useful things. People just forget that they are because they get abused by advertisers. This board uses pop-ups how the original designer (probably) wanted them to be used.

In my experience the pop-up that we have is non-invasive and completely welcome because of it's informative nature, it appears only when you access the page that lists the forums (i.e. http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/forums.html ) so it doesn't even obscure anything that you might be reading.
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

We already have the feature you're describing, Ecksian. On the panel on the homepage that's headed 'Discworld fans online', there is a summary of your Clacks box, telling you how many messages are read and [i:1163e6d332]unread[/i:1163e6d332]. Unread ones, obviously, are new.

Edit for minor corrections. Stupid 'Insert' key!
  6. Ba Lord of the Pies

Grace, she knows about that. The problem is that she rarely visits the homepage.
  7. Electric_Man Templar

[size=8:e15a985f91]some big-eared kid just alerted me to this[/size:e15a985f91]

[quote:e15a985f91="Ecksian"]I just dicovered that I had a clacks from Cynth that is nearly two months old. [b:e15a985f91][u:e15a985f91]Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:26 pm[/u:e15a985f91][/b:e15a985f91][/quote:e15a985f91]

er... october the twelth wasn't two months ago and Cynth has been here only one anyway... *scratches head*
  8. chrisjordan New Member

Way to go, Electric_Fool. This discovery was supposed to remain secret so that we would be able to feel intellectually superior to everyone, without anybody saying that we aren't (although in your case this would have just made you feel like a moderately stupid person instead of a really stupid one.)

Next time I make a massively big discovery of this nature, I certainly won't be telling you. :rolleyes:
  9. Ecksian New Member

[quote:31fee5ae7a="Electric_Man"]
    [quote:31fee5ae7a="Ecksian"]I just dicovered that I had a clacks from Cynth that is nearly two months old. [b:31fee5ae7a][u:31fee5ae7a]Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:26 pm[/u:31fee5ae7a][/b:31fee5ae7a][/quote:31fee5ae7a]

er... october the twelth wasn't two months ago and Cynth has been here only one anyway... *scratches head*[/quote:31fee5ae7a]

Oh bollocks, well I [i:31fee5ae7a]was[/i:31fee5ae7a] half asleep when I posted that. :oops:

[quote:31fee5ae7a="Ba"]Grace, she knows about that. The problem is that she rarely visits the homepage.[/quote:31fee5ae7a]
    He. :evil: My avatar isn't meant to imply that I am Miss September, just that it is an Austrailin pin-up.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:7923bebc93="Ba"]Grace, she knows about that. The problem is that she rarely visits the homepage.[/quote:7923bebc93]
    Sorry, I misread the first post. And, yes, Ecksian's a bloke.

Sorry, Ecksian, but as far as I know it's a question of either checking the homepage or enabling the pop-up.
  11. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ecksian should be thankful Ba acknowledged he has gender, the ingrate.
  12. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I've enabled the 'pop-ups' but they still don't pop up*

*Granted no-one ever PMs me. But still.
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

They only pop up if you're not on the homepage. Maybe you see them and click on them before going on to the board?
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

15. Electric_Man Templar

Also check that your browser isn't set to block pop-ups.
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i just have it set to email my hotmail account. thus if i'm logged into MSN Messenger, i get a non-obtrusive pop up, and if i'm not logged in, i find out the next time i check my email.

also, if the problem is one that you never check the home page and, for some horrible reason that doesn't bear speculating on, your higher brain functions were crushed out of you with a hammer into the soft spot shortly after your birth, try this:

Redirect your bookmark/favorite/shortcut/link whatever that you use to access the forums to point to the home page so that you go there every time you want to acecss the boards.