Clacks or Piggly Moos?

Discussion in 'POLLS AND ELECTIONS' started by Maljonic, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

The Private Messages got renamed Piggly Moos because of a funny thread, but do we want to keep calling them that? It has been suggested that Clacks would be a good name for them, which is in keeping with the Discworld theme, but I think Piggly Moos has a nice ring to it - it also means the PMs are still PMs. :)

Rincewind says it all for me really:

[quote:fddc55c4c1="Rincewind"]Clacks makes more sense. But Piggly Moos is more us. It just really makes me luagh. Vote away![/quote:fddc55c4c1]
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Piggly Moos. Well done CJ!
  3. Electric_Man Templar

I thought the point was that we weren't creating a 'Club Board'.

edit: Mal, you've spelt neither wrong
  4. Cat New Member

I don't think the term piggly moos is too 'clubby'. The rotating envelopes indicate clearly that this is de PM-box.

We already have a history together, and I think we are entitled to make that show on this board. Still, it's good you mention this point Ben, because we do have to be carefull not to put to many inboard-references in the general fora. But, as said, I doubt piggly moos will make us clique or clubby.

It's the way we help newbits settle in and answer their questions that will (or -preferably- will not) make us clubby.
  5. Cat New Member

Edit: double post. Which I only noticed after 7 hours.

O well, someone has got to be the first. :roll:
  6. Tempus New Member

I just got my first piggly moo. Woohoo! I was a bit slow on the uptake, but I've nothing against the name piggly moo at all.
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Maybe have Piggly Moo (PM), too help spell it out. While i can see EM's point of not having a 'club board', making Piggly Moos part of the actual board opens it up to everyone. Instead, we'll call them clacks, but refer to Piggly Moos and the newbit won't have a clue what we're talking about, thats more clubby.
  8. Marcia Executive Onion

My concern is that someone who is new to message boards wouldn't know what a Piggly Moo is. The term "private message" is obvious, and someone who is familiar with Discworld would know that a Clacks is related to a message or news in some way.

Someone who hasn't been on a message board before might never have heard of private messaging, so wouldn't think, "Piggly Moo must be the word this board uses for private messages", since they don't know that private messages exist. They would understand when they got a Piggly Moo, but if they wanted to send one, they woudn't know that they could.
  9. Electric_Man Templar

I'd just like to remind people of (one of) the first rules of web-design "Make the site as simple to use and easy to understand as possible"
  10. chrisjordan New Member

Let me just say that you are all crazy for taking it this far.

Having said that, I don't think we should make every little quirk Discworld-related, because that's not all the boards are about. The term 'newbit' came about randomly. I think that's been questioned by new people a couple of times, but that hasn't caused much confusion. Then again, it's more obvious what that means.

I also think it's something that can easily be added to the FAQ, unless you see that as a needless complication.

I don't know...is it a joke that will get old fast? Do you need to have seen the original thread where it came about to find it funny at all?
  11. Delphine New Member

It is crazy, I thought it was just a throwaway joke of CJ's.

But I like it. Maybe if we have something like an FAQ here we can put it in there. I think it's amusing. :wink:
  12. Maljonic Administrator

If you look at the Monastery section it does mention private messages with piggly moos in brackets. I think we also need to keep in mind that this board will be run by us so, if it does become obvious in the future that the PM thing gets too confusing for new comers, we can always change it back, or to something else. We can change anything on here whenever we like. :)
  13. Electric_Man Templar

Again, the problem with changing it all the time is it gets confusing pretty quickly even for the regulars. Consistency is another feature of good web-design.

I know I'm sounding like an old grump, but think of reading Piggly Moo's for the hundreth time at the end of the month, is it still going to be amusing? (or has CJ said this already?)
  14. sampanna New Member

Ya, I voted with neither .. I think PMs should keep meaning PMs.
  15. Ba Lord of the Pies

Clacks or simply Private Messages. Piggly Moos sounds like someone was brain-damaged. Ba realizes this is true, but he's unsure that the board needs to advertise this fact.
  16. Hsing Moderator

Everyone who stumbles across a PTerry-Board and feels inclined to stay should be able to decipher what's meant with "clacks". "piggly moos" is fun right now, but that might waer of a little, and besides that, should we ever draw new people, the inevitable question about the meaning os "piggly moos" might one day get on our nerves.

In the state we're in right now, it shouldn't be that important, because this is still more a back up for emergencies, and drawing new people is, if I got it right, not even the plan. Honestly said, if I was to PM any of you, I'd switch to the Boards to do so. So we can, for now, call it whatever we want.
  17. chrisjordan New Member

Right, I've finally decided, and I'm going to vote for Neither.

I say no to Clacks because I still don't think we should make everything Discworld-related, for reasons I stated in my last post.

I say no to Piggly Moos because it was just a throwaway joke and probably should have stayed that way. I still don't think it would have been difficult to figure out what a Piggly Moo was, but any comic value that it had, if there was any after the time it was originally used, will have been completely destroyed because it's been debated about like this.

I think I'm sick of it already. :rolleyes:
  18. Maljonic Administrator

I'm sort of thinking that Clacks might not be so bad after all, I'm a bit sick of it myself now. I didn't expect everyone to debate the topic to seriously, I just thought we'd get some yes I like its and some no I hate its. Now we need a couple more votes for Clacks to take over, or a few more than that for something else. There's plenty of people who haven't used a vote yet that could shift it, if anyone would care to petition them? :)
  19. Cat New Member

[quote:41b06a8516="Maljonic"].....Now we need a couple more votes for Clacks to take over, or a few more than that for something else. There's plenty of people who haven't used a vote yet that could shift it, if anyone would care to petition them? :)[/quote:41b06a8516]

Heh, democracy at it's finest. :wink:
    This is not ment as a negative comment, but it's a reminder that we should think very carefully before we vote. I must admit that, although I am still in favour of the piggly moos and voted for them, I think the comments Hsing, Chris (and others) made make sense.

But, once we decide on a feature we should stick to it. At least for a while to try it out.
  20. Roman_K New Member

Either Clacks or Private Messages. The other option's just so... well, Ba said it already.
  21. Tephlon Active Member

I've voted for the other option "Niether" [SIC] because I think PM should be Private Message.

However, if "Piggly Moos" gets the majority vote I would suggest to put "Piggly Moos (PM's)" or something similar to make it slightly more obvious.
  22. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Piggly Moos is getting dull now. too much dicussion kills the humour. I say just PM's. I'm not a big fan of disc-ing things up. It's a bit...i dunno....geeky? :?
  23. Tonyblack Guest

I've voted 'Clacks'. Piggly Moos made me laugh as well, but Clacks is a more logical name for messages on a Discworld Message Board. People that are new to Message Boards may have a problem knowing what a PM is, let alone a Piggly Moo.
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:5de3a937aa="Electric_Man"]edit: Mal, you've spelt neither wrong[/quote:5de3a937aa]
    *reiterates*

I think it's fine to keep Boardanian jokes. We're *not* creating a club board, but that doesn't mean forgetting that we ever knew each other or had any history. How stupid and joyless would that be?

However, I probably won't be referring to PMs as piggly moos, and I think that's an example of something that could be too confusing for new people.

Maybe we should have a Boardanian glossary in the mods section.
  25. Maljonic Administrator

Well I'm glad that the Necromantic Intelligent Extrapolating Transmitter and Halting Effervescent Receiver option didn't get too many votes. :)
  26. Cat New Member

Good one Mal!

I noticed in the Clacks-department you forgot to delete the word Piggly Moo in the title of the page. Well, not actually the title, but the bit that comes next before the...

Oh well, just try and send me a PM/Clack and you'll see what I am talking about. :)

Or was that intentional? I am under the impression we left the pigggly moo-idea completely though.
  27. Maljonic Administrator

Oops, I forgot about that, fixed it now. :)