Do we want a general (non-Pratchett) literature section?

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Maljonic, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

Just a place to discuss other books/poetry/comics/whatever we might be reading (or writing perhaps).
  2. Tephlon Active Member

Why not.

It kind of gets lost in the "what are you reading now" thread.

Should be good.
  3. Ba Lord of the Pies

Sounds good to Ba.
  4. Roman_K New Member

I support it.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, there isn't a "why not" option, so yes :)
  6. Hsing Moderator

Sounds fine.
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

8. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, it's been made a totally seperate section so it doesn't get confused (hopefully) with the other stuff, see how it goes. :)
  9. Electric_Man Templar

I don't really know whether that section should be included or not to be honest. I'm undecided as of yet.

But... I think where it has been put makes it look a bit weird all on it's own. Considering the "Terry Pratchett Books" section contains Intros, Boardania and RP, maybe the whole section should be retitled to "General" or something similar and the "Non-TP Books" included in that or there could be a "TP Books" section and a "Other"/"General" which includes Intros, Boardania, RP and non-TP.

Picturing that in my mind, I'd prefer the former.

edit: another thing, why are those old fools guild threads in there?
  10. Delphine New Member

I'm not actually in favour of this, purely because i thought Boardania WAS the off topic section, and that it encompasses everything non Pratchett, including other authours. But oh well.
  11. Orrdos God

I can't see any point to it at all. Not one. No merits, nothing.

We don't even talk about Pratchett much, let alone any other authors. The off topic section should more than cover for that type of thing.

Can't see any point in a section for other authors at all. The "what book are you reading now" thread seems to be the extent of peoples interest in other books, and there's certainly no harm in starting a new thread on the main board on literary matters if for some sudden reason people want to actually talk about books for a change.

Unless the main board is purely for mindless crap these days?

I'm also slightly perturbed that something stupid like "should we have sex in the profile" can be debated for days, but a fairly major structural change can be put through in a few hours.
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*Shrug* people care more about sex. also there were whiney teenagers involved, and they tend to fluff up the page count a bit.

anyway, I'm in favor of a specified location for discussing other authors or books or whatever. I'd suggested we could just have official threads for them, linked to like doors did with the other official threads, but a forum of its own for this stuff seems fine to me.

i do agree with ben, however, that it looks a bit odd. if we have a new superforum for non-pratchett discussion, things like the role playing forum and even the boardanian forum suddenly become a bit out of place.

now, i suppose we could have a 'general' forum, then a 'pratchett' forum, then a 'non-pratchett books' forum, then the temple, but that might be more work than its worth and i just know someone would complain that it means the site isn't about pratchett anymore.

well, back when we were originally talking about new boards on the old site, i'd been thinking any new place should probably just be named 'boardania.com' or something. the domain name we have was never one i'd have chosen, and i've never really fallen in love with it.

but you know, at the end of the day i don't care? it's not that big of a deal. there's pros and cons to it as it stands, and to any possible change that could have been made when changes could have been instituted. furthermore, there's ALWAYS going to be someone who's unhappy with the way things have worked out.

now, once i get a bit bored with Oblivion, i intend to make use of that non-pratchett forum. i've outgrown a lot of my pratchett fanboyness over the past few years (got a wife out of it, then put it behind me as it were), but i've been getting back in to Robert Jordan lately. buzzfloyd's been reading Harry Potter to me and i'm enjoying those stories a lot. in the past, I always had to sit out any discussion on them. Buzzfloyd's been reading R R Martin's A Game of Thrones, and she might enjoy discussing it with other fans, if we have any here. If not, i probably would once I get around to reading it.

so, at the end of the day, I'm very happy to have a demarcated territory where i can easily chat about books or authors where the threads wouldn't get burried unrelated but no less interesting stuff that we have in the Boardanian forum.
  13. Sir_Gawain New Member

[quote:bad860fd1c="Garner"]*Shrug* people care more about sex. also there were whiney teenagers involved, and they tend to fluff up the page count a bit. [/quote:bad860fd1c]

:oops: Sorry, I lost my temper. I did try to steer it back a few times...

I think it isn't a bad idea to have a forum for other books. Like we have one for the Watch, and so on. If people object, there's always the fact that the Pratchett forums would out number the other books one vastly.

Edited to say: Oh, look. We have one now. Observant, Gawain. Very observant. :roll:
  14. Garner Great God and Founding Father

heh!

well, thanks for the apology, and I hope you don't feel like i was having a go at you.

i *was*, but it was good natured, i assure you :p