Do you kiss your motherboard with that mouth?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

So, buzzfloyd made the mistake of saying I could upgrade my computer for christmas.

Initially we were looking at just replacing a fan and maybe a DVD drive with a bad bearing or two each.

The current total is expected to exceed one thousand pounds before all's said and done now.

Thanks to the help and advice of (and occasionally beatings upon) Roman and E-Man, I've assembled a tasty selection of components that should last me another four or five years with only two major upgrades in a year or two to keep the thing coasting smoothly.

We'll also, hopefully, be able to cannibalize the two existing PCs in the garner household to give buzzfloyd a slightly better PC than the one she currently has (half a gig faster clockspeed and half a quarter gig more memory... maybe.)

anyway, that's the dream. the reality has been more difficult, and is becoming something of a nightmare.

see, i like to get my computer components in the states. cheaper there, and usually more available. but my usual supplier won't ship internationally anymore, so it's a phone call to the parents and promises of remunerations before orders are placed, and then promptly cancled because the supplier won't ship to any address other than the billing address, and parent 1's billing address is about a 10 hour drive from his residence.

parent number 2, being more patient in these matters, arranges for the delivery with the intention of redirecting the delivery to her office where she can collect it during the day. but the supplier was wise to this tactic, and told the shipper to refuse to allow redirection. and the shipper's christmas rush staff appearantly think parent 2's office and/or home address doesn't exist. joy.

meanwhile, back home in blighty, i'd gone to get the case and motherboard locally, as these will be far too unrealistic to ship over.

carrying them home down a long hill in the evening was not a pleasant task.

finding out an hour later that i'd picked up the wrong model mother board by mistake was even less pleasant.

luckily the local supplier was happy to refund my purchase price and said they'd try to order in the model i wanted in the first place.

unluckily, there are a grand total of, appearantly, zero of these things available in the UK at present.

they MIGHT be able to get one next week. might.

they'll find out on tuesday and, hopefully, give me a call to let me know.

ug.
  2. Electric_Man Templar

That mo bo is one mo fo for procuring.

Try Japan!
  3. Pixel New Member

It sounds like whoever's running that "supplier" in the States went to the Basil Fawlty School of Customer Relations - the last thing they seem to want to do is "supply"!

I think the score at the moment is UK supplier one, US supplier nil! :)
  4. Bradthewonderllama New Member

[quote:09a398be25="Pixel"]It sounds like whoever's running that "supplier" in the States went to the Basil Fawlty School of Customer Relations - the last thing they seem to want to do is "supply"!

I think the score at the moment is UK supplier one, US supplier nil! :)[/quote:09a398be25]

.... Go eat some brain and kidney waffles

;-)
  5. Pepster New Member

Try www.techbuy.com.au I source all my computer parts through them, further the currency exchange would probably favour you aswell.
  6. spiky Bar Wench

Or you could go low tech and just beat a drum or send up smoke signals... Probably more reliable.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Methinks our lord garner may need a little help in choposing computer hardware, so pray let me suggest a helpful keyboard :

[img:0fe54f1087]http://www.helldesk.dk/keyboard-ctrl-alt-del.jpg[/img:0fe54f1087]
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*reboots katcal*
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

oh, pepster, just checked that link you suggested, and it's not 100% clear if they even have it in stock, but it'll work out to about 20 pounds more expensive than what i might pay locally BEFORE i add in shipping...

still, if they could guarantee it was in stock, i'd probably consider it at this point
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:01935a3ce9="Garner"]*reboots katcal*[/quote:01935a3ce9]
    Hey, God, hands off my reset button !! :D
  11. spiky Bar Wench

Oh god. Thats just wrong. :?

(by god I don't mean Garner I am true to the church of Doors. Drinks anyone?)
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*uses steel capped boots for rebooting purposes.*
  13. Hermia New Member

www.ebuyer.com. That's what I use for everything, and they deliver quickly too. Buy then, Alastair's probably already told you that.
  14. Garner Great God and Founding Father

already tried em, i think.
  15. Hermia New Member

That's it then, all is lost. Maybe you were a naughty boy this year and Father Christmas is punishing you.
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I blame [s:5ae08beb7a]mircosoft[/s:5ae08beb7a], [s:5ae08beb7a]Father Christmas[/s:5ae08beb7a], [s:5ae08beb7a]Jesus[/s:5ae08beb7a] Doors.
  17. shadowgirl New Member

[quote:75ca845911]Katcal
    Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:14 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Methinks our lord garner may need a little help in choposing computer hardware, so pray let me suggest a helpful keyboard :
    [/quote:75ca845911]

hahahaha!! That's a great picture. Don't get a new computer, new computer equals faster. At least wait until I replace the hamster that keeps mine powered.
  18. Roman_K New Member

That keyboard is also one of the oldest and most widely-known Microsoft-related jokes in existance. It's also not one of the best. One of those few and proud Microsoft jokes from the olden days is The Last Man Without Windows 95.
  19. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba already told Garner how to get ahold of this motherboard.
  20. Hermia New Member

Any luck? Are you going to go for the one that can arrive on the 27th?
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

well, it's a bit iffy. the website says they have 72 coming in today. they said 71 yesterday when i ordered, and 70 the day before that. it's a bit.. odd.

still, they offer next working day delivery, and the projected delivery of the 27th is based on the fact tht they're not in stock yet. they MAY ship later today actually.

and, of course, they may ship tomorrow for delivery on the 23rd when we won't be home, so I may need to ask you to come wait around at our place on friday morning :-x
  22. spiky Bar Wench

No worries will be there at 6am prepared to wait all day long.
  23. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Not *you*, dammit.

:p
  24. Orrdos God

[quote:22c09f93ac="Hermia"]www.ebuyer.com. That's what I use for everything, and they deliver quickly too. Buy then, Alastair's probably already told you that.[/quote:22c09f93ac]

Yes, that's my computer bits website of choice.

After the festive period, I shall be buying a nice new monitor, the sort that doesn't cause a hernia when you carry it from a car into, say, a new flat.

Also: wireless keyboard and mouse
  25. Hermia New Member

[quote:832334eb93="Orrdos"]After the festive period, I shall be buying a nice new monitor, the sort that doesn't cause a hernia when you carry it from a car into, say, a new flat. [/quote:832334eb93]

Doesn't do what?? Oh, right, hernia.

And yes Clay, just let me know. Although it would be more fun if Spiky could pop across to keep me company! :)
  26. Orrdos God

[quote:8e999d4679="Hermia"]Doesn't do what?? Oh, right, hernia.
    [/quote:8e999d4679]

Yeah, it would be a tad strange if I picked up my monitor and PING! You're standing next to me :)
  27. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:ab85fbc703="Hermia"][quote:ab85fbc703="Orrdos"]After the festive period, I shall be buying a nice new monitor, the sort that doesn't cause a hernia when you carry it from a car into, say, a new flat. [/quote:ab85fbc703]

Doesn't do what?? Oh, right, hernia.

And yes Clay, just let me know. Although it would be more fun if Spiky could pop across to keep me company! :)[/quote:ab85fbc703]

I'll see what I can do but I cant guarantee anything. You know the traffic is murder on the M25 at this time of year :cooler:
  28. Hermia New Member

Beside, Spiky, you might come all the way over here just for me to get Pinged to Scotland!

Ok, this is one of those bizarre conversations, isn't it?