Expiration date for threads

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Hsing, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Hsing Moderator

I've got a technical question:
    Is it possible to set an expiration date for threads and close them after, say, a year passed without anyone posting in them? Something not too work intensive, of course, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I'm asking because time and again, threads that rested in limbo for ages are being revived with a post that either adds nothing really new or repeats previous statements. I realize that it is sometimes easier to chime in an existing thread, and the relative smallness of some of the book sections invites to it seeing you still see old threads on page 1... but the posting experience following such resurrections usually is that no one really responds because everyone was over that thread already, and wandered away to different areas of the board. Having to start a new thread and referring to the old one would probably result in more responses.

We would have to be tolerant of similar threads being created as people come and go, but I'd say that's preferable to warmed up discussion. Of course, if there is no technical possibility to do this without lots and lots of work on Mal's side, this thread is moot and I excuse for taking up your time.:smile:
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I went and asked but It's not possible to do that, sorry. It is a good idea though.
  3. Hsing Moderator

Aw, pity.

Do we have an agreement on really old threads, actually? Ressurect or recreate?
    If someone would invest the time and close some old forgotten ones, would that be agreed upon?
  4. Maljonic Administrator

I did suggest for it to be included as a future feature, so you never know one day. :)
  5. Hsing Moderator

Oh, you can suggest features for future versions?

Then here's another one: After a few days, say, a week or so, the possibility to edit a post of your own should run out for normal user.
    Come to think of, a user shouldn't be able to edit their posts after three days. Mods should be able to edit posts at any time, so codes can be fixed after updates no matter how old the threads are, etc. But if there's something wrong with a post, you notice within three days, and if there's a reason it has to be changed after that time frame, a copyright infriction, or the request of another user, then a mod can do it.

It's not an issue on this board right now, but I keep stumbling on posts on other boards where people significantly change posts which are really old and make older, but still read discussions look bizarre.