Greebo A Human!!!!!

Discussion in 'THE WITCH BOOKS' started by Willmolly3, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Willmolly3 New Member

Cant believe they turnt him in to a human! HE was violent enough as a Cat. Hope they have the sense to turn him back again. I will probably find out a t lunch when I read my nex installment!
  2. AuntieM New Member

I have seen some really great "Greebo as a man" contestants in Maskerades. He is a bit like Errol Flynn as a pirate! If you can remember Errol Flynn - well just think Johnny Depp then!
  3. Hsing Moderator

That question may be a little ignorant... :oops: but what is "Maskerade" besides the book? Part of a festival (which I assume, because you get to see men in costumes)? :) My bet would be Wadfest, but being from Germany... well, lets say there aren't many festivals like that on our schedule...

Edit: Oh my typing!
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I think it's a Maskerade ball. There people go to balls in fancy masks.
  5. JetsConnor New Member

A masquerade (spelling intended) is basically a ball where everyone wears masks, like the one in Witches Abroad.
    The reference being made in the title of the book Maskerade is obvious to any Phantom Of The Opera fan. The song at the beginning of Act 2 in Phantom called "Masquerade". And the spelling was changed because of the significant role masks play in the story.
  6. Cynth New Member

I think Jonhnny Depp (as he was in Pirates of the Carribean) would make a good Greebo...He should just act a little more "cold"...
    Or maybe somebody like Hugh Jackman or or that English guy Owen something (can't remenber his surname with the black hair and the blue eyes)
  7. JetsConnor New Member

Oh, yes. Johnny Depp could pull it off.
  8. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Depp was too thin in PoC to pull off Greebo. And definitley not feral enough.
  9. Smoking_GNU New Member

Maybe if you threw Greebo at his face he might come nearer to looking the part. :badgrin:
  10. Plugger New Member

yes but they had to use him as a distraction didnt they?
  11. LaughingFire New Member

Yup. And he goes and does it again in times of stress, speaking of Maskerade. Heh. Thought that bit was cool, myself.

My trouble with Johnny-Depp-as-Greebo, besides him being the wrong shape, is that human Greebo is supposed to 'ooze a greasy sexuality,' or something along those lines, and I have trouble picturing Depp doing that, although he's an excellent actor and could probably pull it off fairly well.
  12. Sir_Vaims New Member

Johnny Depp might be able to play Greebo,but i think that the actor who played Depp's opponent(can't remember the name) would be more appropriate choice.
  13. Hsing Moderator

Em.... Orlando Bloom?
  14. LaughingFire New Member

O.O Whaaaat? Pretty Orlando trying to pull off a big, scarred-up, one-eyed, leather-clad maniac? Not his normal style. If he did that decently, I would be...impressed. And surprised. Of course, in all this criticizing I fon't have any better ideas, so maybe I should shut up.

Did you mean Bloom, Sir_Vaims?
  15. Sir_Gawain New Member

I think Vaims meant the guy who played Barbosa, darling Trisak. Er... Fire? What do you wish to be called on this board? But I agree, I think Greebo would be way outside pretty-boy's character. Not that I don't love Will and Legolas, but Bloom plays the pretty young hero. If he were to play anyone from the Disc the most appropriate would be Imp/Buddy from Soul Music. ...That's the third time in two posts the word 'pretty' has been used in conjunction with the same person.

Maybe if Barbosa lost a bunch of weight, got a bit more rugged, and lost the gentleman-like mannerisms he could do Greebo, but methinks he's a bit to old. And to... subtle. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head either.
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Hugh Jackman.
  17. sleepy_sarge New Member

Maybe it's the whole Shrek II thing sticking in my mind (it was on some obscure cable channel here the other day), but Antonio Banderas would be a decent choice also.
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

why did you go and say that Rinso ? I'm going to have to agree with you... :(
  19. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Mwhahahahahahaha!

Though I think sarge is point on with his.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

No. Greebo is not spanish/latino !! Banderas could be Casanunder, he is greasy enough... but not Greebo ! Greebo is a lean (ok, fat) mean mouse-killing machine, Jackman is purrrfect ! (and I would have to go see the film if he was in it, of course) He's got his own fur, and he's already used to having claws... (X-men 1/2/3)
  21. Sir_Vaims New Member

I did think of Barbosa. Nevertheless,you are right Sir when pointig out that he needs more serious shaping.
  22. Sir_Gawain New Member

That you for agreeing with me, my good knight.

I don't think Greebo is fat, Katcal. As least not in his human form. And why couldn't he be latino?
  23. Sir_Vaims New Member

I think that latino would be the best form for him
  24. scif1girl New Member

Is it just me or does the latino race seem the most catlike?
  25. Sir_Gawain New Member

They do. It's something about the preportioning. And the way most of them move. Cat-like is just built in. Not even my 7-month pregnant teacher is an exception.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

He's fat as a cat, not as a human, I agree, but being a mean fat cat creates a personnality that just doesn't fit Banderas at all, to me. Greebo is a "butch" cat, as cats go, and the greasy seductive side of Banderas seems wrong... Jackman is just a natural cat, to me, he even makes Wolverine cat-like, which is saying something... But maybe I should read that part of the book again, I may have completely forgotten some vital details...
  27. Banderas or Jackman would be awesone as Greebo but as i was reading maskerade i couldnt help thinking of Colin Farrell!
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hummmm...

Well... seeing as Greebo "spends most of his time as a human looking for trousers" I can actually quite imagine Colin Farrel OR Hugh Jackman as Greebo. And that's where Banderas doesn't fit in... Just not tasty enough :D
  29. janible New Member

Jackman would be fine, but I've got to disagree about Banderas. Very tasty actor, and he could handle the dangerous/attraction part. Parts of Zorro come to mind, for me!

Latinos can be innately sensual, and cats are sensual to the nth degree. Even Greebo, apparently. Ask all of the lady cats of Lanchre!

Edit:classic dyslexic fingers moment!
  30. scif1girl New Member

Plus the way they roll their rr's, like a purr.

EDIT: And the shape of their eyes, and the shape of everything else too....
  31. Sir_Vaims New Member

:) :D
    Although it could simply mean that he is a sex-machine
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

ok, ok, i've just re-read the description in Maskerade, and I'll agree about latinos, just not about Banderas... Sorry girls, but the guy is getting on a bit, he's just not up to it...
  33. Ekke New Member

I think the "Owen" guy you were thinking about is Clive Owen,
    he played in Beyond Borders?
    Depp will also do it well but not Colin Farrel, he is too short ;)
  34. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

I have no idea why..and Ive checked the books and there is nothing in the books to have encouraged me to think....but I allways pictured Greebo as a tall lithe bald coloured man.
    Kinda like hawk from spencer for hire ( 80's US detective show), with an eye patch.
  35. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Why not settle this one with a poll?
    Here we have some good names all of them showing a lot, but maybe not all, of the requirements to bring Greebo to life.

I have what Terry describes as "Real Cats" in his book the Unadulterated Cat, and although they are a bit podgy they seem to be in great demand with the local lady cats even though they've been neutered.
    Betcha never thought about that aspect? :eek:
  36. jarmara New Member

Sorry folks, human Greebo is alive and well in the form of my fiance. That's not just blind adoration, other Pratchett fan friends agree :D
  37. mr_scrub New Member

Wow thats amazing.
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

What's amazing?
  39. mr_scrub New Member

Jarmara's last post.
  40. toraspanda New Member

How about a picture, jarmara? ;)
  41. FairyHegehOGG New Member

I have a candidate no one else seems to have thought of :Sean Bean. I can totally see him wearing an Eyepatch and he does Bad sooooo good. I've always pictured Greebo with a teeny bit of a Lancashire accent or perhaps a bit of bad boy Liverpudlian. (Besides who wouldn't want to hear Sean say "Rowwwwlll" . (Oh Swooooooooon)
  42. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hah! I can actually see that.
  43. alice New Member

Greebo A Human

David Borianis...Angel the Vampire...He does dark really well
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

I think it's Boreanaz...
  45. Orrdos God

Ah, i've been waiting to use this!

[IMG]

Edit: i should point out that I don't actually mind the ressurrection post, i just wanted to use the picture. Cause it makes me laugh.
  46. mowgli New Member

... And thus the poor innocent newbit is sacrificed to the Sarcastic Humor Gods. It's been a while, and they were getting peckish...

Don't worry, Alice - stick around, and someday you might get to beat up Doors :smile:

(The card thingie was hillarious, though!) :tongue:)
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

Mouarf... I've been looking for a card like that for ages !
  48. alice New Member

Please forgive my phonetic spelling :smile:
  49. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I like it! What's the card game?
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's a spoof of a Magic card I think... Although it would be fun to have a whole game based on stuff like that.
  51. Tiffany New Member

good call fairy hegehOGG - sean bean would be awesome as greebo!
  52. Rewr New Member

Human Greebo: Hugh Jackman, Sean Bean...
    Oozing sexuality
    looking good in leather

Rrewwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Has any of our talented members drawn a picture of Greebo in his human form?
  53. Rewr New Member

I believe our darling Greebo also turned his attentions towards more than the lady cats....
  54. roisindubh211 New Member

55. Silvermoth New Member

I could only imagine Gerard Butler in the role. But thats just me
  56. Sunna New Member

Hugh Jackman or Depp(if he'd be made out to look taller)
  57. Casaninbetween New Member

I think Vinnie Jones would make the perfect Greebo. The strong and silent type, with a bad-guy attitude and a darkish complexion, as well as a British accent.
  58. Gypsy New Member

Yum!

...I keep thinking he's dead after having watched P.S. I Love You (not a spoiler, promise!) Must stop that.

Also agree with the Hugh Jackman idea...he'd be able to do it (but I'm biased, i'm an Aussie and a fan).
    Orlando bloom was a bit Errol Flynn in the end of Pirates 3, but not quite Greebo enough for me.
    I love Depp, and think he oozes sexuality right enough (drool) but he's not Greebo either.
    The Greebo in my head doesn't have a real life counterpart...
  59. TattoedLady New Member

Greebo Comes off as charming

Is it werid that i loved the sound of greebo as a man hahahaa .

Any one no i single man like that !
  60. TattoedLady New Member

I totally agree with you ! i so badly want someone to go ahead and make a movie out of lord and ladies