Highway Code for and from a Newbit

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by sleepy_sarge, Aug 22, 2005.

1. sleepy_sarge New Member

Evenin' all - Hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Please feel free to movie it or get rid of it if you think it is inappropriate

I've been watching here and the "other place" for a little while, and it is interesting to be a newbit. On other boards/places I am a more venerable type, and part of the scene there. Here I am happy to be new. So from that perspective, here are this Newbit's two-bits.

When talking about what the rules should or shouldn't be (in those places). I can think of only one. Rocket science it certainly aint.

[b:6b7307384b]Do not act any differently in a forum to the way you would in real life. [/b:6b7307384b]

If you stick to this rule, then people can decide if they like you or not.
    If they do, then life will be just fine. If some of them do not, then fine, don't try to change it, just stick with those people with whom you have a rapport. If no one seems to like you, then be on your way, there is nothing for you here.

Board life for me is best illustrated as a Real Life bar. ( says plenty about me I suppose).

You wander into a "local" bar. There are a crowd of regulars there, discussing their favourite topic.
    Do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) listen to the conversation for a while, since it is a topic that interests you,
    b) tell them they are all talking nonsense, that they should be discussing your favourite topic instead.[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    The regulars are having a joke. One hurls an insult at another - and everyone laughs. Do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) smile at the joke, but don't venture an opinion since you don't know the people involved or
    b) insult the target yourself.[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    You've been listening to the topic for a while. You don't agree with the point someone is making. Do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) politely take another point of view - backing it up with reasons or
    b) ridicule the person that made the stupid remark[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    You know that there are certain topics the regulars don't like. This is a pity, because it is a favourite topic of yours. Do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) find another place to discuss this topic. or
    b) barge in and force the conversation round to your topic. After all it is a free country isn't it?[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    You make a remark that offends someone. Now you certainly didn't intend this, but still - offence has been taken. do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) apologise immediately for causing offence - unreservedly, perhaps going on to explaining what you meant. or
    b) refuse to apologise because the person must be stupid to take offence at such a remark.[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    You've been given a chance, but clearly you and the group are not getting along well. Do you
    [list:6b7307384b]a) Move along and find a more friendly bunch who discuss things that interest you or
    b) Argue and cause trouble, thinking that spoiling their night out will somehow make yours a little bit better[/list:u:6b7307384b]
    Mostly a's - Board life is for you
    Mostly b's - Stay off this board - and by the way stay out of my bar!
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Good post sleepy. I think there all reasonable points.
  3. Mynona Member

A very good post, really.

And it's nice to see a 'newbie' suggesting this. :)
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

looks good indeed. only skimmed it so far (trying to catch up on too many threads too quickly), but if it's solid gold all the way through, would you object to us making use of it in the future, Sleepy? We'll of course give you full credit for suggesting it
  5. Hex New Member

I like it Sleepy. It's clear and it makes sense. Nice work. :)
  6. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:7b587975da="Garner"]looks good indeed. only skimmed it so far (trying to catch up on too many threads too quickly), but if it's solid gold all the way through, would you object to us making use of it in the future, Sleepy? We'll of course give you full credit for suggesting it[/quote:7b587975da]

Sure - or feel free to edit it and/or forget about the credit....just happy to help
  7. Roman_K New Member

This is cool, Sleepy. I feel it should be expanded a bit, as having four options instead of two looks far better, but I can't for the life of me think up more answers. It's pure gold as it is, though.

I feel this should become a part of the FAQ. Objections, anyone?
  8. Electric_Man Templar

I don't think it should be put in the FAQ, basically because of the length of the thing. An FAQ is more likely to be read properly if it's short and to the point. Any expansions on the points should be done by links.

This would be a good reference point to link people to though.
  9. Roman_K New Member

Something in the way of "If you wish to test your understanding of the FAQ go HERE"?

Yeah, sounds good.
  10. Electric_Man Templar

Maybe, only less fun sounding. We should make it seem like a gruelling test that only the best can pass. And we should make them do it with a lamp shining in their face.
  11. Rockycog New Member

Wheee I got all a's!

Thanks Sleepy_sarge, it was nice to hear from a newbit. Plus, it makes it more fun than jus readin a list of stuff you shouldn't do. Explains stuff too, so its just like use your commone sense and I'll get along fine. I hope.

Anyways Im rambling bout nothing, Rockycog ~