Inter-board relations

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

On a whim, I checked the Stamps forum to see if we'd attracted any new attention for moving here. We did indeed, in the form of someone congratulating the Stampers for having forced us off the Harper Collins site.

Judging by the tone, I'm not 100% sure if they were bragging, blaming, praising, or what, but it looks like some of the pre-Tonyland refugees Stamp regulars are sick of hearing about the Harper Collins boards.

I'd like to reiterate that if anyone wants to join their community from ours, PLEASE do not try and stir up trouble. Please respect their community as we would want anyone visiting our forum to respect ours.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

It hadn't even occurred to me to look at the stamp place, I've only looked at the old HP board to see if anything is happening, which it isn't really. I don't think any of us need to lower ourselves by sneering at or deriding any other message boards in any way, just get on with building our own community and let others do and say whayever they like in their own communities. :)
  3. Hsing Moderator

I didn't check on their board either. Good to reiterate the point about leaving them alone, although I can't see any of us causing trouble out of spite. Well, I can imagine an urge of some people to answer to some of the things posted there in a way, but the best amends would rather be to make this place thriving.

Edit to add: Broriens post seemed pretty much on our side, stating that the user (who calls himself Ad Astra over there) either should get his facts straight, or admitted to be one of our trolls, in which case he needs someone else now to take out his spite on now that we left. (The troll from their community he was probably referring to was, likely, Stu.) The rest of the user stated they rather don't care to much as they have nothing to do with the Olden Boards, and just want to enjoy themselves.
    That's how I got it. I'm not 100% sure about ot, as I just checked " "our" thread. Corrections?
    "Ad Astra" may be one of our trolls, from what he posts, and in that case he shouldn't get a response from us, either.
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

it didn't SOUND like one of us over there. my suspicion is that it's Jugghead or one of his spiritual compatriots hoping to cause conflict between the two communities.

I just wanted to make sure we had a clear stance on this:

Do not go trolling on other forums.

actually, i'll probably want to take this up in the Temple forum, but as a tentative and working guideline/rule...

'We don't have any problems with you belonging to other forums while you're a member here, provided you do not slag us off on other sites or troll them in any way.'

I think either behavior would be grounds for a warning leading unto a banning if it persisted.
  5. Hsing Moderator

Cross-edit with Garner.
    Generally a good idea, although I find such things hard to grasp; well, everyone should be except to piss people off when they find him/her badmouthing them on another page while fine here. At least he/she should be confronted about it. But that is more a natural thing to happen - the confrontation, I mean, not the badmouthing.
    I guess the rules we sat up or will set up are all about behaviour. Banning someone who trolled on other pages, but behaved well on this one is a good idea, seeing out history - who if not we should despise trolls?

In case of badmouthing though, maybe we should deal with the case when it happens, but see the single case instead of setting up strict rules. There's a wide range from "gods, I needed a break from that place" to personal defamation, and right now, from the top of my head, I wouldn't know any rule to cover it all with.
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

ehh...

"If you have objections about our community, do not voice them on other forums without having the decency to voice them to us as well. Most of us are mature enough not to go ballistic if you can be mature about it yourself."
  7. Hsing Moderator

Another point came to my mind: As the community as such there didn't do anything to us, I had a sudden urge, when reading Ad Astras post, to warn them about whom they might be dealing with (seeing that the majority of them don't know). If this is Jugghead or Apfelstrudel, he might feel an urge to use them against us, finding everything he can, and try and stir up trouble between the two sites. But that's probably to far thought, and when posted there, it would only sound paranoid.
  8. Hsing Moderator

Oh.. er. Okay. Sounds great!:)
    I was thinking around too many corners again.
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

my take on the stamps forum is... they've got moderators. they've got an established community. MOST of the refugees have fit in quite well. They will be able to deal with any who don't.

we don't have a problem with them or their boards.

I'd like to think that we don't even have a problem with the refugees and tonylanders provided they stay on their new site.

at least, not such a problem that we'd go over there and cause trouble. that would be wrong of us.
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Would it be worth (though probably not) Garner making a post saying that we're not cuasing trouble and we don't want to cuase trouble. It might just cuase more hassle though.
  11. sampanna New Member

He's already done that. Repeating it would be pointless, I think. Best if we leave them to their own devices.
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i agree. the most I'd be prepared to do is PM or email one of their mods to reassure them, and frankly I think even THAT would be a bad idea.

besides, not sure I can remember what password I registered with, or what email address I used to register it....
  13. Saccharissa Stitcher

I am of the same mind. They've got moderators, so if the old-established members complain how they are sick of hearing about the beef the others are having with us and the trolls try to mess them up too, the mods can ban their accounts, their IP adresses, their cell phones, telephones, loudspeakers, rolled up cartons and their talking parrots.

I disagree with sending an e-mail to the mods, as we cannot know if a member, present or future, of this site will decide to go over there and stir up trouble. However unlikely this case may be, it would pay to avoid aything that can be used as an excuse to accuse us of hypocrisy.
  14. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Well, I definately think we should look at booting people out for trolling other forums in any guise. If you recall, when the trekkies came here to stick up for temple maiden's non-existant honor, their moderators (one of em, anyway) locked their threads where they bragged about it because they didn't want to have another invasion on their site.

I think if we ever hear anyone proposing something like that on our boards, we lock the thread and warn the person suggesting it. If they go ahead and do it, they're out of the community for at least a short term period.

Who better than us should know why trolling is bad? Who indeed.
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think it would be a good idea to PM one of their mods to say something like the following:

"Sorry to bring this up again, as I am sure you are sick of hearing about the HC boards. We saw that a user named Ad Astra was trying to stir up trouble here in your community. We wanted to assure you that no one from our community has any intention of causing disruption in yours, and that any person like Ad Astra should be treated as a troll, and not assumed to be a member of our community. We dislike trolling as much as you do! I hope this idiot's posts have not cast any doubt over our promise never to troll your boards. Thank you."
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Well, I don't want to submit such a PM. I also don't think its necessary, and trying to imagine how they might feel, I can't expect as they'd care a great deal either. Still, if anyone else wants to give it a go, I don't object provided you stay polite, and they don't get inundated with PMs.

On another note, I motion to sticky this thread in the Boardanian forum. Any seconds?
  17. sampanna New Member

I don't think this will be needed often enough to warrant a sticky here. Maybe part of the Temple forum .. ?
  18. Garner Great God and Founding Father

we can make it un-sticky later, but I think it's extremely important that we clearly state right now and up front that there's a zero tollerance approach to people stirring up trouble on the stamps forum, or any other site.

if anyone actually disagrees with that, then lets discuss it, as I'll be quite interested to hear any arguements in favor of that delivered with a straight face.
  19. Marcia Executive Onion

The entire thread about us on the Discworld Stamps board seems to have been deleted.
  20. sampanna New Member

And that is why I don't like moderated forums! Our definition of a moderator is nice and limited to spam/trolling luckily.
  21. Marcia Executive Onion

Didn't the moderators on the Trekkie board delete a thread about us as well?

I think the people who prefer boards with that type of strong moderation probably need boards with that type of strong moderation.
  22. Garner Great God and Founding Father

the trekkie forum had some threads locked, I dont think they were deleted.

I'd venture to guess that some of the pre-Tonyland exodus regulars on the stamps forum finally got sick of hearing about harper collins. Can any of us blame them?

hopefully that will serve as a strong message to our ex-pats and be the final seal on a long and important episode in our cultural history as a community.

our new era has already begun, and the future is indeed so luminous that i've been required to wear tinted lenses.
  23. Electric_Man Templar

I see no real need to contact them, I think Darren etc know the score.

This might be something to add to the FAQ, but no necessity to sticky it as an individual thread.

An FAQ entry would be something like:

"We do not advocate trolling in any shape or form, if you are deemed to have trolled this board, or even any other board, we will block you from entering this board."

Only worded better
  24. Roman_K New Member

I second Ben. Also, as Garner said, the moderators there probably know the score already.

If they thought he was one of ours, they would have sent us a message already.