Language-related questions (minor spoilers for Thud)

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by Hsing, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Hsing Moderator

I've got a few language problems where my dictionary doesn't help me at all; maybe one of you finds a minute time for patient explaining. :)

The first sentence I don't quite understand is this one (p21):
    [quote:4926933562]You're not a vampire, Doreen! You're [i:4926933562]married [/i:4926933562]to one, yes, but he didn't become one until a time when it is beyond human imagining that he could possibly have wanted to bite you![/quote:4926933562]

I get the situation, but this sentence as such makes no sense to me. The grammar just won't fit in my head, or something...

More questions to come...
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It means that She's not actually a vampire, only married to one. And at the age that her husband was transformed into a vampire, the idea of doing anything to his wifes neck wouldn't appeal to him, let alone the peudso-sexual act of biting it.

It makes more sense if you know there back story from 'reaper man'.
  3. Hsing Moderator

Ah, it was the age thing I didn't get... Thanks.
  4. Nox New Member

Holy...
    I seriously didn't realise that was the same couple! Reaper Man is one of the few Discworld books I actually own, and I actually missed that. I just thought they were very similar.
    Arthur seems more confident, though.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:175e21283d="Hsing"]Ah, it was the age thing I didn't get... Thanks.[/quote:175e21283d]
    I was thinking it was also to do with the whole "vampires preferring to drink the blood of young and good-looking virgins in floaty nightdresses" thing...