let's make an introduction thread

Discussion in 'BOARDANIAN ROLEPLAY GROUP' started by Garner, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I sincerely hope that our role play group can expand and grow over time. We don't all have to play every single game with each other, and we might even see people join the group who never post on the boards.

So, I think it'll be a good idea if we have a simple intro thread with some helpful explainations of what we do and how we do it.

would anyone like to contribue some suggestions to it?
  2. Mynona Member

We should have one post about what roleplaying is and then one post about what game we're currently running and perhaps even those we're planning on running. I think, note the 'I', that in those post we should also state who's DMing and which people are playing.

This is just my thought on the matter
  3. fairyliquid New Member

Please do, I have been trying to figure it out for a while but can't. It sounds interesting, an explination thread stickyed to the top would attract more newbits to this. I have no idea what this is but am interested in finding out.
  4. Roman_K New Member

We need to build a FAQ of sorts, not just a mere introduction thread.

Keep in mind that when I say build, I mean shamelessly steal stuff regarding the various settings we use and put them here, in addition to a guide on roleplaying and so forth. We need to make this place a bit more organized, especially if we want to attract more DMs.
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

In the old thread, Garner wrote a long but excellent explanation of roleplaying using D&D 3.5. And I wrote a brief but excellent beginner's guide to inventing a character.
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i've got that thread bookmarked still, if anyone wants to go take a look at it during the next six to eight years when i'm too busy and/or lazy to deal with it myself, they can access the old thread here:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004573

also, the Wizards of the Coast D&D webpage has a brief introduction to D&D and role playing in general:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/whatisdnd

myn, those were good suggestions. in six to eight years, i hope to have made use of them
  7. Rockycog New Member

oooooooookay. So for a lil newbit like me... I'm going to ask some questions so I can understand this thread.

What is DMing?
    What is D&D (I went to the websites garner put on but that didnt make a whole load of sense either).
    (and having looked on one the web links?) Why do I need AOL messenger... and will that change or what?

Anyways, hope you work out this thread of roleplaying cause I obviously don't know what it is going on about so will be in need of it! If I could help I will...

Yours in confusment, Rockycog ~

Ps. If you want me too shh and just wait till you can explain it all later on then I will. Thankyou!

Edit: To ad the Ps.
  8. Cynical_Youth New Member

D&D:
    Dungeons & Dragons, which is a pen-and-paper (also miniature-based sometimes, I think) roleplaying game.

DMing:
    DM stands for Dungeon Master. The Dungeon Master is in charge of the game, puts together the story and the monsters, leads the players through the game etc etc...

You use AOL Messenger as a means of communicating (instead of getting together around a table, which is not possible for an internet group because people from different countries are involved).

I'm a newbie to the whole thing myself so I hope I explained it all correctly. :)

If not, I'm sure more experienced players will correct me.
  9. Rockycog New Member

Ohkay thankyou, that makes it a bit easier to understand now.

Dungeons and dragons.... all sounds a bit scary to me!! It sounds intreging (sp?) anyways.

I shall await with intrest.