Moving Pictures.

Discussion in 'GODS, DESERTS, IMPS, LETTERS AND WAR' started by drunkymonkey, Jan 6, 2006.

1. drunkymonkey New Member

I think this is probably my favourite Discworld book, either this or The Reaper Man.
    I have always loved Holly Wood, or at least the idea of it, and this was one great book. It mirrored our world really, about how people act differently there and I loved all the little nudges towards our movies, Blown Away, haha.
    What did other people think of this book?
  2. fairyliquid New Member

I loved all the little referances that are hidden in this book, it's really what makes it.

I can remember going to see War of the Worlds at the cinema and listening to the soundtrack on the way there and I had just recomended this book to my friend who was reading it on the way. We started the cd and she looked up from her book in hysterics. She was reading the passage in the book (I have no idea what page...) and it was the same as the opening with a few words here and there changed

i.e.
    "No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th centuary..."
    "No one would have believed in the last years of the centuary of the Fruitbat"

I'll never forget it.

I just love some of the referances, though I am sure I missed 50% of them...
  3. koshu New Member

Ya i know i missed most of them aswell, but that just gives me an excuse to re-read my books, because some of my friends just think its weird to re-read books, oh well there just mad. :lol:

there is not much more i can say on this topic that isn'y a spoiler, so if u haven't read it yet, I strongly recomend it!! :)
  4. Sir_Vaims New Member

In Moving pictures,Terry shows how the society can be ''blinded'' by the pretty lights that the Holy Wood cameras could create and that could be found in the simple thought of the Patrician who was wondering what was so special about Victor and Ginger to justify their seats next to him. It is a wonderful book
  5. Hsing Moderator

Yes, although it's going to be the one I'm going to re-read in front of my computer screen next time, with L-Space in my browser, because it's the one where I got the least references.
  6. Plugger New Member

i like the refrences about been hypnotised by tv and the cinema and i think that just about sums me up :) , oh and i also really would like to know if anyone here can tell me why celebs are so idolised
  7. OmKranti Yogi Wench

"WITH A THOUSAND ELEPHANTS!!!!"

I really wish they had've used the elephants man!
  8. Hermia New Member

I'm about halfway through Moving Pictures at the moment. It's really not my favourite. I'm enjoying it a lot, but that's not quite enough - with most Pratchett books I could never post to say I'm halfway through it because I'd be too busy reading it!

Maybe I just don't get enough of the references; certainly the ones I have got have been the best bits.

Top hilarious moment: the bit where Detritus says he's going to make Victor a star. "Is that troll mean or what?"
  9. Guest Guest

Isn't this part of the wizards arc? surely it should be in that forum?
  10. Guest Guest

Fave part has to be the King Kong pastiche at the end :D
  11. edster New Member

yeah king kong part is the best of the book.
  12. alice New Member

moving pictures

I like the talking animals...the references to Benji and Lassie are great