Pick your biker name

Discussion in 'MORE TERRY PRATCHETT NOVELS' started by Katcal, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

Referring to the four bikers of the apocalypse in Good Omens (being War, Famine, Pollution a.k.a pestillence, and Death, of course), and the "other four bikers of the apocalypse" who all had really good names, even though they did change their minds several times on the way...

So, what would your biker name be, if you were to pick one today ?
    (meaning you can change it tomorrow if you get a better idea !)

My pick of the day would have to be Spots In Awkward And Painful Places Especially Eyebrows, and Reg (my husband) voted for Having To Get Out Of A Soft Warm Bed Early On A Cold Morning To Go To Work.

(edit to remove typo in title ;) )
  2. Tephlon Active Member

Today I would be "Houses without central heating"
  3. sleepy_sarge New Member

Mine for today would be "Human Resource 'professionals' and other talentless parasites"
  4. Orrdos God

"NTL Customers"

A special breed of people.
  5. Cynical_Youth New Member

:D

For today, it's "That Faint Yet Incessant Feeling Of Frustration When You Rediscover That Your Country Is Run By Idiots"

Yesterday, parliament passed a motion that is in direct violation of the constitution through the support of about 90% of the coalition cabinet. They don't even realise that it's not legally possible. Morons.
  6. koshu New Member

mine would hab to be 'bloody freezing weather for all south africans'

gosh i hate this weather :lol:
  7. Andalusian New Member

This whole holidays mine will probably be: "Younger Siblings That Squeal To One's Parents When One Clobbers Them Over The Head"
  8. koshu New Member

ahh the notorious sibling rivalry!!!!! :)
  9. mowgli New Member

I'd be the Plague of Dark Undereye Circles and Occasional Moments of Psychosis Brought On By Sleep Deprivation
  10. Hex New Member

Novacaine Numbness Brought On By Getting A Filling.

That's me for today. My tongue is numb also. It is not a fun feeling at all :(
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

This morning, I am definitely Stupid Public Transport Timetables For The School Holidays... with a touch of Missing Your Only Bus And Having To Walk When It's -10°C And Foggy...
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm Network Operations Centres That Don't Know How To Ping Or Traceroute.
  13. Venerico New Member

Today I'm:
    "Haven't Learn Biology And Teacher Is Giving The Test"

H E L P !
  14. shadowgirl New Member

Today mine is "Oh frig it's Christmas on Sunday? I better get the shopping, christmas cards, wrapping in. I wonder if Marks + Spencers have any turkey left. Oh frig, oh frig, oh frig."
  15. KaptenKaries New Member

You lucky bastard, for us Swedes it's Saturday that's the big day. Although we skip the turkey, extra ham.

Edit: fixed typo
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Today, you may all call me Malfunctioning Alarmclocks. :cooler: :lol:
  17. koshu New Member

today, im "Parents who hate their children and won let them do anything" :(
  18. Sir_Gawain New Member

I am 'Addictive Time Wasting Such As Drawing Or Browsing A Website While There Is Homework To Be Done'

But I think I may just be 'Lack Of Scanner' I have an adorable picture of Aziraphale I want to put up. (yes, that was the 'addictive drawing' part)

Eh, Koshu, buck up! They are just being worried and concerned and all those things that make sure you survive to escape to collage. :lol:
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh dear... Gawain really has been overdoing the drawing... :D

Cheer up koshu, parents don't hate their children... for long... at a time. :D ;)

Humm, biker name for today... I'm hesitating between Carpal Tunnel Syndrom and People Bringing in Delicious Homebaked Cakes to Share For Their Birthday... The first is painful and annoying, the second is... Delicious and fattening :lol:
  20. fairyliquid New Member

My biker name of the day (or next few weeks at least)

exams immediately after the winter break so you end up putting off studying untill the last week

It's just GCSE mocks.... :?
  21. koshu New Member

Today im ' parents who love there children but still wont let them do anything' or even 'parents that make there 15 year old daughter fix the garage door that they broke' :)
  22. Willmolly3 New Member

Today I am "Clueless Commercial Officer in New Job on Promotion"
  23. koshu New Member

today im "mom who dosent do the laundry so obliging daughter does it for her only to get shouted at beacuse something went wrong, even though the daughter has never done the laundry before and thought the mother would be pleased"

I balme Doors (17 :D )
  24. Sir_Gawain New Member

:lol: Pick not on my spelling, unjust critics!

Today I am: Homophobics. :x
  25. Plugger New Member

today i am
    "Swimming tomorrow aww damn have got my kit" or
    "Not the bus again... :evil: :evil: :evil:
  26. Sir_Gawain New Member

Today I am Earth Science.
  27. peapod_j New Member

today and for the next few weeks im "arrrrrr save me highers, not done sudying arrrrrrr" :?
  28. QuothTheRaven New Member

I am:
    English teachers who mean well, but have no Idea how to effectively teach and would probably be more suited to being literary critics, as they apear to have mastered the art of the hatchet job.
  29. Tephlon Active Member

I am "bloody CSS"
  30. Human New Member

I am "Limited Computer Timeshare."
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Come come, Tephlon, CSS is a noble art by which you may finally, if your heart is pure and your coffee strong, reach the final enlightenment of the Holy W3C Standards compliancy !
  32. KaptenKaries New Member

Stay away from evil table layouts and don't forget to validate.
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yarrr, table layouts !!! **shudder of disgust** All hail the almighty box model and the floating div ! :supz:
  34. KaptenKaries New Member

Divs tend to fuck up markup aswell. True, there are some cases when a div is necessary, but truly beautiful markup has no tags related to design, where every tag makes conceptual sense.

Compare:

[code:1]
    <div class="menuheading">Menu</div>
    <div class="menu">
    <div class="menuitem">
    <a href="bathroom.htm">Bathroom</a>
    </div>
    <div class="menuitem">
    <a href="kitchen.htm">Kitchen</a>
    </div>
    <div class="menuitem">
    <a href="bedroom.htm">Bedroom</a>
    </div>
    </div>
    [/code:1]

With:

[code:1]
    <h1 id="menuheading">Menu</h1>
    <ul id="menu">
    <li class="menuitem">
    <a href="cat.htm">Cat</a>
    </li>
    <li class="menuitem">
    <a href="dog.htm">Dog</a>
    </li>
    <li class="menuitem">
    <a href="platypus.htm">Platypus</a>
    </li>
    </ul>
    [/code:1]

Far too often I see markup similar to the first example. CSS will let you style both markups in exactly the same way, there is nothing you can do with the first example that you can't do with the second example.

So why do we prefer the second example to the first example? Because browsers not supporting CSS would be able to render the lists and headings so that they actually make sense to the reader, instead of confusing blocks of text, all styled the same way.

I built our company website with this in mind (I admit I used two or three divs in places where it was necessary), and one of the advantages is that it will degrade beautifully to mobile devices (as long as they support xhtml, of course), where heavy graphical designs are not as important as quick access to the true content.

Edit: fixed broken markup in the code examples.
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

That is of course true, but then anything used too much or in the wrong place is a pain in the back side... I have seen people use h3 titles for most of their text with the thing redesigned in the CSS and then use a span to define the titles, which structurally is dead stupid.
    If you don't know it, there's a great site for CSS design here, I found it quite inspiring...

But let us return to the thread at hand...

In fact, just for that, I'll be Thread-Hijacking Swedish Pirates today :D
  36. KaptenKaries New Member

Hehe. :-D Yes, CSS Zen Garden is a great site. I consider myself an unofficial prophet of the zen preachings.

This morning, I was wet-snow-in-the-middle-of-April-when-it's-been-10-degrees-for-weeks-and-you-thought-the-winter-was-finally-over.

But now, I'm locksmiths-who-can't-bloody-copy-a-key-right-when-you-need-to-travel-20-km-to-test-if-the-key-works.
  37. Twoflower New Member

I think i'll be.... *thinks* .... Resteraunts-Who-Sell-Flat-Coca-Cola-Yet-Still-Charge-Full-Price, I hate it when that happenes...
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

Woah... That's bad... :shock:
  39. Twoflower New Member

Hmmm.. should I be that or
    People-Who-Add-Me-On-YIM-Or-AIM-And-Ask-For-Help-On-The-Various-Games-I-Go-On
    *thinks about time taken to type each one*
    nah, first one is shorter and faster to type
  40. peapod_j New Member

i have just thought of a new one for me 9 more school days untill the start of my exams help me
  41. gabba New Member

Today I will be

Tele sales agent

Nothing more Evil in this world

Im turning my phone off :(
  42. Angua_rox New Member

I will be "plastics" (I believe the French equivalent is les Barbies,Kkatcal, if you need translating :D :) :tonqe: )
  43. Dane New Member

I think I will be:

pen running out three questions into an exam without having a spare
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Today, I shall be Idiotic Swedish Collegues. Actually, that's a running character name at the moment...
  45. KaptenKaries New Member

I guess the reason why you're working with them Kat is because we didn't want them around anymore.

Also, in defence of my compatriots, at least we know how to spell "colleague'.
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

Actually, you guessed right on that one. There are idiots in every country and someone has to work with them. Although I certainly wouldn't stoop to pointing out a mere typo to defend an Idiotic Colleague, no matter what nationality they were. :cooler:
  47. KaptenKaries New Member

I had to find something, didn't I? ;-)

But on a more serious matter, the reason I reacted is that I find it the same thing as saying Foul Smelling African Accountants or Vegetable Minded Blonde Secretaries. There are foul smelling and vegetable minded people of all heritages and appearances, but in such a context it's easily (mis)understood as a specific property of that heritage/appearance.

I hear sentances on the line of "Today I was nearly run over at the crossing by an idiot turk in a bus!" from time to time. I have still to hear someone say "That caucatian moron just stepped on my foot". The stressing of nationalities only seem to matter in negative circumstances, when this stressing would support one's preconcieved notions.
  48. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yeah, I get what you mean, but in this case it's just to make the difference with the usual Idiotic Belgian and Idiotic French Colleagues who annoy me the rest of the time... Being pissed off by an Idiotic Swedish Colleague is quite a novelty actually...
  49. KaptenKaries New Member

In that case, catrabbit, I'm happy you're Idiotic Swedish Colleagues.

I guess my biker name for today will be Swedes-Picking-On-Everyone-Elses-Flaws. :-D
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Pleased to meet you then :D **wanders off musing about the name "catrabbit" **
  51. KaptenKaries New Member

52. Human New Member

Regents. Just Regents.

If you see an article in the paper tomorrow about a student killing a proctor, it was me.
  53. Mikor New Member

mine would be Ice
    I dont hate Ice, I like it, just like war likes war, ect
  54. Nox New Member

Really Annoying People.
    Such a general term that works on so many levels.
    Or maybe, Keyboards With Broken Or Stuck Keys.
  55. Silvermoth New Member

Stubbing Ones Toes In The Middle Of Cold, Scary Nights
    ________
    WEB SHOWS
  56. dididave New Member

Mine would be "The mindless superiority found in medical receptionists".
  57. Katcal I Aten't French !

I've been Unexplicable Pains In The Right Arm for the last 9 months...
  58. mr_scrub New Member

Snagrets, Dweevils And Wollywogs. Enimies from a game that I'm obsessed with. (yes i know i'm a nerd)
  59. mr_scrub New Member

But now I'm Getting a Terrible Cold On The Day You Have To Do A Major Project
  60. Alfonz New Member

Today I would be "limited internet time".