Rincewind's Random Photo Thread!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'm not sure if I've posted these before...but what the heck.
  2. Thanks Mal!
    mr_scrub, I believe Joculator is correct, it's a Yucca, although I'll have to confirm with my neighbor to be sure.

According to Wikipedia, Yucca's are a type of tree. :D (I didn't know that. I guess you do learn something new every day!)

That picture was taken during a record breaking snow storm we had here last weekend. I believe the storm then moved north to trap Om in her house. Sorry, Om. :)

Hey, Rincewind! In that first picture, are you looking up, or looking down? If I think of it as looking down, I suffer from a wicked sense of vertigo.
    *edited for spelling that Microsoft didn't catch..grr*
  3. Electric_Man Templar

I think he took it across, they look like they are all lying down.

edit: it's probably not up, as he'd probably find it hard to post after being clobbered by all those poles which look like they would destined to fall down...

stupid, non-clobbering poles
  4. Hsing Moderator

Hehe...
    Somethingclever, wicked winter! Ours was like that last year, this year's has been cancelled entirely. (It is January and we didn't have a single frost as of yet.)
    Rinso - Great pictures, again, especially the first one.
    It's always fun to look at this thread, anyway.

And I start thinking about buying a good digital camera after all, because in the long run, this would probably spare me paying for ten pictures per film which aren't so great or similar to two other's I have made, and it might give me the chance to try out a lot.
    If I do that, I want it to be one that's still good in a few years. Even if it means buying one for in rates. I'd appreciate tips, though, because I know what makes an analog camera good, but I don't know about a digital one.
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

Same up here. It's all Om's fault, taking all the good cold for herself.
  6. *tilts head to side while looking at the picture* Okay, I can see how that could be across. When I looked at it the first time I thought it was just some interesting structural material and a fire escape ladder. You never know what people will try to cover buildings with these days. :D

Hsing, sorry we stole your winter, hun. You are welcome to take it back if you like. :cooler: Wish I could help you out with the digital camera, but I'll leave that to more qualified people.
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Rincewind, I think I took a picture of the same building as you:

[IMG]
  8. fairyliquid New Member

Here are some pictures from my recent trip to Indonesia.... The first two are statues from temples. These were taken in the monkey forrest in Uduk, Bali.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rain and ponds...

[IMG]
    These are some of the monkeys from the monkey forest...there are two babies in the photo...if you can see them....
  9. Maljonic Administrator

The monkeys look like they're plotting something. The picture above looks like an idyllic heaven type scenario. :)
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

I have loads from over christmas and new year that aren't on line yet, but here's one that I really like, it's quite rare to get a shot of my husband actually being natural and not pulling a silly face...

[IMG]

And these are the fish starters we made for the new year's meal, ciabatta bread, smoked salmon, cream cheese and prawns... yummy !

[IMG]
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Kat, I'm allergic to shellfish, and my instinctive reaction was to shrink away from the screen! Great picture of Reg, though. :)

Really good new photos, guys. I'm so admiring of the ability to photograph well. Thanks for sharing them.

Anj, I still can't believe all that snow in New Mexico of all places. I don't think anyone can pretend climate change isn't happening any more.
  12. fairyliquid New Member

The pond is in the villa where I was staying....it was gorgeous, except for the rain...

[IMG]

This is a picture of where I was staying...though it was more a picture of the sunset behind than our villa. Either way it was gorgeous. I love living in this part of the world where places like this are so close and easy to get to.

[IMG]

And just because I'm strange, here is a picture of a lovely slimey snail (just to counteract the the lovely sunset)
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Don't be ridiculous, of course I can!. :)
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Snails !
  15. Electric_Man Templar

What is Ella doing in Indonesia, anyway?

So... the topic of this thread was "Random photo thread", right?

[IMG]
  16. Hsing Moderator

That's somehow pretty cool.
  17. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Loads and loads of great pictures guys.

Snails that picture was taken horozontialy (No idea how to spell it), they were on the back of a truck... It was taken in Kenzal Rise where the Hurricane happen. I was out doing some filming there (I say filming, really it was more unbrella holding whle others filmed).

Mal, that was the same building! I took it while going into Tottenham court tube, where was yours?

Hsing, you should definatly get a digital camera- you'll save loads of money in the long run. Also, it means you can afford to try out so many more shots without having to worry about "wasting film." I'm not sure what one would be the best, I think it depends how much you want to invest... The Canon E340 (think I) is a pretty good one... That's what Mal has ( I think)
  18. Hsing Moderator

19. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Curse your german links! Curse them!

I use the Pansonic DMC FZ7 and I think it's pretty niffty. I think it can be weak in macro mode and low lighting but thats probably just my poor photography rather than the camera. The new one seems to have some nice features too.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Rinso> If I remember correctly, Mal has the same as mine, the EOS 350D. It's replacement model is now out, which means you should be able to get it cheaper pretty soon. It's certainly a pretty great camera, and I'm having a lot of fun with it...
  21. Maljonic Administrator

The Canon EOS 350D looks very similar to the one in Hsing's link. I bought the Canon because it came out tops in a photographic magazine round-up article of similar cameras. I think the equivalent Nikon D70 was a close second.

Like Katcal says there is a new EOS out now, this one I think:
    [IMG]
    which looks like the one we have, only silver instead of black. Apart from that I know nothing about it, it's the EOS 300 D.

The numbers are quite confusing, they get more expensive as the number gets smaller, the Canon 50D is over a £1000 I think.

P.S. I just had a look at Rincewind's camera, they all look pretty similar.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

[IMG]
    Just to show off a bit, this is a view of where I spent new year's eve... It was only about 15°C that afternoon, but hey, it looks good doesn't it !
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I can't see it. :(

Edit: I can now. Very nice!
  24. chrisjordan New Member

Wow. That'd make a good desktop.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hey, if you like it I can send you the larger version ;)
  26. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I suddenly had an urge for some bikkits.

[IMG]
  27. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Some new pictures for your watchie peepers.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

They're all black and white, like.
  28. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Great shot of Tower Bridge. Nice framing in the foreground. Somehow I don't think it would look so good in colour.
  29. Electric_Man Templar

30. KaptenKaries New Member

Winter driving can be a real experience.

Since my birthday is in December, I took my car driver's license in the winter. So, somehow, when spring came, I was like used to driving carefully and just felt that relying on the grip was a bonus.

Now, driving a motorcycle when you can't trust the surface, that's scary. Usually, as long as it's not freezing temperature, the grip is good enough, but still, I was a bit cautious on lessons the days it rained. My confidence has grown since then.

My bike has been in winter storage since October. Can't have it parked outside my apartment in the winter, and can't ride it if there's frost, so I took no chances.

And now, winter has hit Stockholm too, finally. We've had -10 C for a couple of days, and it's about 15 cm (half a foot) of snow. A month too late, if you ask me, but at least the days are a bit brighter with the crystals reflecting light.

Darkness up here in the winter time can really get to you. Today, the sun rose at 08:18 and set at 15:45. So it's dark when you go to work and it's dark when you leave work. The snow helps a bit.

I'm picturing a sunny April sunday, just before easter. The last snow melted two weeks ago. I'm putting on the leather jacket and pants, slowly revving up the growling engine, letting it get used to working again after six months. Ease up on the choke, strap on my helmet, gloves on, first gear in, release the clutch. Second gear, close the visor. Third gear, wide grin. :-D

Edit: What music are you listening to, Ben?
  31. Electric_Man Templar

The song is This Place Is A Prison by The Postal Service

My mp3 CD was on random, and I considered changing it, but it seemed apt for the recording. I was surprised how clear it came through on the video, my car speakers aren't even that good!
  32. TamyraMcG Active Member

Electricman, that's about as much snow as around here but there might be more by morning. We haven't had much and most of what we got earlier was melted by the rain we had at New Year's time. I can't say as I miss it much, but February and March are historically the snowiest months here so I'll probably get more chances to drive in the snow, even if it stays this unnaturally warm.
  33. jaccairn New Member

I didn't get any snow, just ice. You go 5 miles further west and they got a nice covering. It's not fair :(
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Damien, where is the statue of the horses? I liked it, although I didn't understand what the close-up was until I saw the last shot.

Ben, I enjoyed the film. I liked the streetlights passing through the drops of water on the windscreen.

KK, here the sun rises at about 7am in winter and sets at about 4.15pm. So there a lot of people here with the same problem of never seeing daylight outside of working hours. I'm sure it's not as extreme here as where you live, but living in northern Europe can be fairly sucky in the winter.
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

Great pics Rinso, an original view of that bridge thinky, and the horses lok very dramatic in b/w

Ben, nice film and fitting music. My first reaction though was "wow, Ben's so small he can't see over the dashboard" and then I realised we are now in the century of the fruitbat and noone looks through an eyepiece anymore :D
  36. KaptenKaries New Member

I'll check them out, I liked what I heard!

But we get it back in the summer, with days that almost never end! :-D Love the northern summer. :heart:
  37. Electric_Man Templar

That's the first snow in my area this winter, and it's been ages since there was a covering of that thickness so it was all exciting for me. Ok, yes, I'm easily excitable by snow, if it ever happens on Christmas Day I shall probably explode into a million pieces. I also know that it's a pitiful amount for a lot of people, but.... SNOW!

I don't think I would feel comfortable driving down the dual carriageway with a camera to my eye, I doubt the other drivers on the road would have comfortable either. I just positioned it on the dash whilst stopped at the traffic lights and only looked at it to start and stop the capture. I lived in hope that it would work, and by your comments it did! Thanks all.

I find the summer days can be a bit too long sometimes, I always find it hard to sleep when it's still light, which isn't normally too bad as I go to bed late, but can be a problem if I wake up in the middle of the 'night' (i.e. 4am aka dawn) and need to go back to sleep.
  38. Maljonic Administrator

That video rocks. :)

P.S. I put a befuddling Youtubesque comment on it.
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I agree, I find only 5 and a half hours of darkness in summer difficult enough!

Also, Ben, I have a similar response to snow. :)
  40. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's in pidically cirus, or there abouts.
  41. KaptenKaries New Member

That's interesting, I've never thought this could be a problem! To be honest, I have very thick curtains in my bedroom, so daylight doesn't bother me if I want to sleep. I keep them half open in the summer, though. It feels very refreshing to me to have the sun wake me up one-and-a-half hour before I have to leave my bed.

I have an alarm clock that's supposed to simulate that. It's a big lamp that slowly fades up, going from turned off to maximum light in a customizable duration of time. So, the way I configured it, at six in the morning it starts to fade up and at seven it's at it's brightest, and that's when it's starting to beep. Teoretically, this is supposed to make the wake up less traumatic. Trouble is, it's not nearly as bright as the sun shining in through the windows at summertime, so it's a poor substitute.

I don't think humans are perfectly adapted to life up here in the north, really. We try to make it work with gadgets and thick clothing. In summer, I couldn't think of any place I'd rather be, but at winter, it's pretty tough to be honest. Some winter days are quite allright though, the bright, sparkling cool days.

Considering all the aspects, having a great summer, and actually experiencing the changes of seasons, I think it's a climate I would miss if I moved.
  42. TamyraMcG Active Member

A friend at work has S(easonal) A(ffective) D(isorder). She's been prescribed a special full spectrum light box to help her feel less depressed. It has about 1800 watts of power and cost her a huge amount of money but I can't remember anything but the fact that I thought it was a huge amount of money. There is a faint bit of color in the sky when I leave for work at 6:40 and right now at 6:04 there is still a faint bit of color, a very faint bit of color. Now its gone and its 6:14. I miss the sun so much, there are hardly any windows at work. I even miss it in the summer. There are times when it seems like it rains only on my days off. That's is why I have crystal prisms hanging in most of my windows, so I am reminded of how beautiful the light is.
  43. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think probably a lot more people than we realise are affected by lack of sunlight. I read somewhere that it's to do with the sun's heat on your head activating your pituitary gland to do something, but I can't remember any more than that, I'm afraid.
  44. Faerie New Member

I have the October 2001 issue of National Geographic with a picture of kids in sunless Lovozero, Russia standing near an ultraviolet light to get vitamin D, it goes along with a whole article on light.
  45. TamyraMcG Active Member

There's really a place where the sun don't shine? :shock:
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

The real question is do they have monkeys and nuts...
  47. fairyliquid New Member

A rose for your valentine.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

49. Maljonic Administrator

50. KaptenKaries New Member

Nice boat Mal! Here's one not-so-mobile.

[IMG]

Edit: Arrgh ugly logo from my online photo album. Oh well.
  51. Electric_Man Templar

I took a series of photos at work over the past two weeks, which you can see here

This is a portion of my favourite picture from that set:

[IMG]

edit: some of the photos on flickr look better at full size, just click on 'all sizes' to see them big
  52. Katcal I Aten't French !

great pics everyone ! Ben, I'm envious of your bunnies !
  53. Faerie New Member

Scrape the ice off of this vehicle!
    [IMG]
    I did not actually take this picture, I got in in an email with about 12 other very icy pictures. It says this is in Versoix, a town close to Geneva City in Switzerland.
  54. Electric_Man Templar

Yeah, I've seen that too.

The craziest thing is the icicles on the trees and the angle they're hanging at. It looks like the water on them froze whilst being blown by a gale...
  55. Rincewind Number One Doorman

56. Hsing Moderator

57. Katcal I Aten't French !

Huh, not bad, but none of them has limescale as good as Ben's :D
  58. Maljonic Administrator

It's a very interesting idea, wish I'd thought of it.
  59. Maljonic Administrator

I dilated eye with plenty of eyeball showing.

[IMG]
  60. Hsing Moderator

...ah, the eyedrops of doom again. My sister had to take them once. She looked like a doped Bambi all day. I was rolling on the floor with laughter each time she looked at me.