Rincewind's Random Photo Thread!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

Tut tut, Wendy dear, none of that now, I've told you your teeth don't look as bad as you think ;)
  2. missy New Member

I think the below proves how bad my teeth are, I am trying to get them sorted though. I have an appointment with the Walrus on Tuesday.

Attached Files:

3. Katcal I Aten't French !

A couple of randoms from last weekend's visit to my parents' place in the misty mountains... It was a gloriously sunny day and I took a lot of pictures of the mountain ranges and so-on, but mountain pictures are tricky to get right...

Here's Reg, because he's worth it...
    [IMG]

And a couple of views from the old chapel (in ruin) on the hill above the town where I went to secondary school :

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Electric_Man Templar

A more normal look round Prague:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. Hsing Moderator

Ah, more cool pics! (yours, of course.)

To add to the historical undercurrent of the latest pictures:

A few pictures I took with my old middle format camera from 1958/62. They have been taken on the old cemetary of Haus Spital.
    During the First World War, prisoners from a nearby POW camp were buried there. They were from the former Soviet Union, mostly, but also from France, Serbia, Great Britain, and one from India. Not all prisoners who died in the camp did get a decent grave at all, but during WW1, some of the POWs built this small cemetary; an imprisoned sculptor from France designed the gate and the wall, and a lot of people were buried the way they would have wanted it, with proper grave stones, their names on them, and the sigil of their respective belief. You see crosses, St. Andrew's crosses, Stars of David, and crescent moons.

Despite all the sadness of the places' history, I find it moving that, with almost nothing to eat and not even being sure they themselves would ever make it home, or get a decent burial if they wouldn't, some of these people have put so much energy into making sure that at least in death, a few hundred people remained individuals, and were treated with respect, no matter from where they came or what they believed in. It is a very peaceful place.

(I copied myself here a little, sorry, but I thought these pics would go well with some explanation what they show.)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Hsing Moderator

[IMG]

[IMG]

...spoooooky effect!
    [IMG]
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

Great pics everyone!

Kat, that's a cool portrait, original view!

Love Ben's Prague pics, I've only been there once on my way to Brno, so I didn't get to see that much of it. Especially the second pic, I'd like to live in that house. :smile: What did you climb for pic four?

And that tree Hsing is very beautiful.

Here's a pic I took today at the nearest railway station.

[IMG]
  8. Electric_Man Templar

Thanks.
    You might like to know that the 'house' is a synagogue. Pic four was taken from the top of pic three (right-hand side).

Why is the railway sign written in Vampire? :razz: Is the lack of colour in the rest of the pic an alteration by you, or what's really there?
  9. KaptenKaries New Member

Cool!

Vould you vorry about spelling ven you have a high voltage vire over your head? The pic has been heavily altered. For reference, I have made you this small version with the same curves as the above image, but with the saturation of the background intact.

[IMG]
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here's one from yesterday, we went to pick up a friend who had arrived from canada, and set up a meeting place in the most central part of Toulouse, easiest to find for those who don't know their way around... And we met up with him 10 meters away frome these guys and their counterparts...

[IMG]

Fires in the streets, armed police, people throwing bottles and stuff, police helicopters circling overhead... Not in 15 years have I seen that, not even during the so-called "riots", and our poor canadian gets this as a first impression ! Well, at least he was greatly amused and asked if we could go up to the guys and ask for a demonstration of the legendary French police brutality he had heard so much about :biggrin: We managed to talk him out of it.

I was standing there taking pictures and thinking about Vimes on his barricades in NW (?) and grinning.

[IMG]
    This is a more peaceful one from weekend before last, the guy on the back seat of the ULM is my hubby, who finally cashed in his birthday present from last year.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

And another couple I like from the ULM trip :

[IMG]

[IMG]
    (Hubby's initials are of course R.C., which is why this one is amusing. LAMJ...P.
  12. Hsing Moderator

*laughs*

Tell Reg belated happy birthday with a vondeful German accent. :)

And here... my cellphone cam at its best.

[IMG]
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Heh, thanks, it's almost an early one for this year, his birthday is in may... :biggrin: That's a cute pic, cameraphone or not...
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I did have more photos to post mbut the stupid thing logged me out and I lost the post. So here is one photo and me in a sulk.

[IMG]
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Don't sulk Rinso, that's a great pic ! Where was it taken ? I love the shadows...
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm sulking becuase wrote the code to post about 7 photos. which i lost...and now have to do agian which will take a load 5 mintues!

I was taken in Grand Central Station.
  17. Perdita New Member

Great Pic Rinso - It looks like Grand Central Station in NYC to me- Is it?
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That's a lovely picture, Rinso! I'm sorry you lost all the others. *commiserates*

I haven't been to New York, but in the parts of America I've visited, there is a lot of very impressive civic architecture. As well as the advantage of being able to plan ahead of time instead of just building haphazardly, I think a lot of American public buildings were built at a time when neo-classical stuff was in style, which makes for some large and beautiful edifices! I think also that American culture values appearances more than some others do - which is not to say that functionality isn't valued, but that aesthetics are seen as important.
  19. Electric_Man Templar

You can't post more than 4 pics at a time, as I found out when posting the Prague pics.
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I thought it was five.

No, wait... It is four. Excuse me.
  21. Electric_Man Templar

No more beans for you today, young lady!
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

:lol: I'm not even going to ask how and by what/whom... :cool:
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Damn you language! I got timed out when I tried to put them up. For some reason the board is really messed up for me on my home computer. I'll put a post in the other thread about it later. It was grand central station NY, i took it on my trip there. The photo in the comp is also from there. I loved New York Architexture.
  24. Maljonic Administrator

You shouldn't need to write any code to post pictures, just click the mountain icon and paste the image address in, then do the same again and so on.
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah, thats what I mean. I really wasn't a massive deal. I had just uploaded my pictures to flickr, then had to cut and paste the links over, then it logged me out. It just anoyed me (in a karmic, kinda way) becuase it was the last thing i wanted to do before bed and it failed. I'll put more op next week some time.
  26. Maljonic Administrator

I've been looking for some pictures to add to our new gallery and found this picture that I took in Cambridge last year:

[IMG]
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

I really must get around to visiting more of the UK some day, I know Oxford quite well, bu I've never been to Cambridge.

Here's one for Mal :
    [IMG]
    It was taken in a calm oasis of spirituality in the middle of one of the largest annual events in Toulouse, the "International fair" a trade show with basically everything from earrings to swimming pools, food to garden sheds... It's enormous and takes hours to walk round, and in the middle of all this was half a hall of an exhibition about the himalayas and this guy was working on his mandala, and drawing sand-ink patterns on the kids' hands, always with a big smile... It was a wonderful break in all the hassle.
  28. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sounds lovely! Nice picture, too. :smile:
  29. Rincewind Number One Doorman

30. Maljonic Administrator

I like the perspective on the first one. I bet it looked better for real though, cameras are still not very good at shooting into the sun, which is a pity because it looks ace when you see it like that sometimes.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wow, great shots Rinso, I've always liked photos of NY life, I'd love to visit someday... (Please tell me that was NY and I haven't just made a (nother) fool of myself... )
  32. Electric_Man Templar

33. Katcal I Aten't French !

WABBIT !!!!!!! (Those are my personal favorite chocky bunnies, and the greatest eggs are Lindor and Schoko-bons...)
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I liked the picture of the old man and the boy.
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

[IMG]
    I was going to enter this one into the love competition, but I found it rather lacked the human factor... if only I could have found a couple to walk by hand in hand or stand there kissing at the right time, but nope... Typical.
  36. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[IMG]

[IMG]

These where the photos I didn't use for last months competition. Which are actually much better than the one I entered.
  37. Rincewind Number One Doorman

So this is what I got up to in work today.

[IMG]

Performance Art. And Ba said I wasn't high brow.
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

Priceless !!

Where's Joculator when we need him to point at people and laugh ?
  39. Maljonic Administrator

Looks ace, they didn't do such a good job with the beard though...
  40. Stercus Stercus New Member

Don't let Vetinari see you like that, you'll find yourself upside down in the scorpion pit.
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I want my mummy.
  42. Rincewind Number One Doorman

They said it would be a nightmare to get out. I still can't get all the make-up off. Only now it looks like I'm wearing eyeliner. So i look like a rubbish goth.
  43. Orrdos God

I have to ask why?

:smile:
  44. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Obivously, I was interpreting a guests answer via the universal art of performance mime.
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Emo Rinso eh... make sure your hair dangles over one eye or you'll loose your street cred, dude...
  46. fairyliquid New Member

These are pictures taken from my trip in Malaysia working in the zoo and going trecking in the rainforest at Taman Negara...

[IMG]
    This was on a boat ride in Taman Negara...

[IMG]
    This was at Lata Berkoh, a waterfall (well more a series of big rapids) which had these little pools we spent the afternoon swimming in.
    [IMG]
    This is one of the resident orang-utans in the zoo...he gave us a little show after we had finished cleaning out his enclosure which was increadibly sweet.

[IMG]
    This is some dead fish. We had to throw said dead fish to tiny little parannahs which swarmed around them (probably about a hundred to a fish) and eat them within minutes not even leaving the bones... The massive fish were ironically the friendly ones...

So just a few of the photos taken...

Edit to remove last pic
  47. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool, Fairyliquid! Is the orangutan really in such a small space as it looks like?
  48. fairyliquid New Member

No, if he did then the post would have included a long rant about animal rights. The cage was significantly bigger and they only spend a small amount of time in them...mostly they are outdoors. The orang-utans spent most of their time there sitting upside down, making silly faces and posing for the camera.

This one even gave us a little show at the end of our day working there which was increadibly sweet.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

The all-important question is : did he say "Oook" ?
  50. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I want to more about this "show." Did it contain an Abba medley?
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

That question is the same as "is the Orang as gay as [-]Rinso[/-] a monkey ?"
  52. Maljonic Administrator

53. Rincewind Number One Doorman

a picture for a "spring" photo competition I've entered.

[IMG]
  54. Maljonic Administrator

I like that, it makes me think of an organic cityscape. It's like the tulip, or whatever that red flower is, is a skyscraper and all the other flowers are smaller buildings and the green bits below those are people walking around.
  55. Katcal I Aten't French !

WOW. I love the way it's spring because of flowers and because of the spring-shaped thingy in the middle ! Another awesome Rinsopic.
  56. KaptenKaries New Member

Hehe lovely pun there Rinso :biggrin:
  57. Maljonic Administrator

I took this picture today, it was in a closed-down shop window in Huddersfield, West Yorskhire. I might have used this for the photo competition for the theme of love if I'd taken it earlier.

[IMG]
  58. Electric_Man Templar

59. TamyraMcG Active Member

That looks like the flying spaghetti monster. I am so jealous, Japan is one of the places I wish I could visit, if I would ever do that sort of thing.
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

Woah, Ben you've been to Japan ? Have I ever said how much I hate you ? :cool: