RSS feed from the boards

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by KaptenKaries, Jun 12, 2006.

1. KaptenKaries New Member

Maljonic,
    This site offers an RSS feed of the news on the front page. Would it be possible to provide an RSS feed of the latest posts in the boards, aswell? I think phpBB has some support for RSS.

It would be a very neat way to stay updated on the boards. :D
  2. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i remember somebody asked about this once on the old site... i have a vauge recollection that it lead to a flaming or two... oh well. most things did, back then.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

4. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, downloaded RSS reader and the above address works. It's a bit simplistic, but it does give you a list of the last few topics posted in.

Edit: I added this to the list of RSS feeds so you can use the little orange icon at the bottom right of your browser in Firefox.
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

Brilliant, Mal! Thanks, just what I looked for. :-D
  6. Maljonic Administrator

That RSS reader I downloaded is pretty mad; it goes 'ding dong' like a doorbell everytime a new post is made, which is kind of scary when you're sneeking up behind an armoured personel carrier to plant some C4 explosives. :)
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:3f9b369e4d="Maljonic"]That RSS reader I downloaded is pretty mad; it goes 'ding dong' like a doorbell everytime a new post is made, which is kind of scary when you're sneeking up behind an armoured personel carrier to plant some C4 explosives. :)[/quote:3f9b369e4d]

[quote:3f9b369e4d="KaptenKaries"]Brilliant, Mal! Thanks, just what I looked for. Very Happy :D[/quote:3f9b369e4d]

Boy you guys have the most exciting lives... :D
  8. KaptenKaries New Member

I use firefox's (should the 's' be left out?) live bookmarks to monitor rss feeds. It doesn't ding or dong, it just sits there with a list of the latest stories.
  9. KaptenKaries New Member

Mal, I know this is nitpicking, but could the link to the story in the rss feed be like
    [code:1:e2dd77ab3e]http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/post22842.html#22842[/code:1:e2dd77ab3e]
    which leads directly to the latest post (found for example on the Message Board Latest Posts-area of the front page)

instead of
    [code:1:e2dd77ab3e]http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/fortopic19.html[/code:1:e2dd77ab3e]
    which only leads to the topic that contains the latest post?

Edit: there are two reasons for this. The first reason is that if I click a story in my rss feed client it leads directly to the post. The second reason is that it enables rss feed clients to know if you've seen that post before, rather than that you've seen that topic before.
  10. KaptenKaries New Member

Bump because I suspect Mal hasn't seen my last question.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

I had a quick go at this but it wasn't as easy as I thought it might me. I'll have a proper look over the weekend sometime.
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

Ah, sorry. Don't spend too long on it, it's not dead important for me, and I seem to be the only one monitoring the boards via rss at the moment. :)