Some thougths on Where's My Cow? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by TheJackal, Oct 4, 2005.

1. TheJackal Member

Right, so this is a spin-off children's book from the book Sam Vimes reads to young Sam in the novel Thud!

I had thought it would firstly have all of the same animal noises as are used in Thud! But it only had two or three instead of the full compliment.

Then it goes on to use the sounds of 3 or 4 "REAL" people that young Sam would meet in Ankh-Morpork (Foul Ole Ron, Coffin Henry (I think), Vetinari). The book, admittedly for young children, could have had a LOT more characters, thus making it bigger & better.

Of those who have it (takes about 4 minutes!), what do people think?
  2. Angua_rox New Member

Yeah, making it bigger would have been good I reckon.
  3. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:e09aded541="TheJackal"]Right, so this is a spin-off children's book from the book Sam Vimes reads to young Sam in the novel Thud!

I had thought it would firstly have all of the same animal noises as are used in Thud! But it only had two or three instead of the full compliment.

Then it goes on to use the sounds of 3 or 4 "REAL" people that young Sam would meet in Ankh-Morpork (Foul Ole Ron, Coffin Henry (I think), Vetinari).[/quote:e09aded541]
    What sound does Vetinari make?
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

No sound at all... and he's standing right behind you now. :cooler:
  5. Hsing Moderator

Honestly said, this was one of the cases where I was a little afraid of spending too much money on too little... Is it enough text to make a good reading? Maybe not. Is it large enough to make an interesting cofee-table-book? Maybe not. Can I at least read it to my daughter? Well it's in English, but above all, it's so DW related she wouldn't get much out of the story.

Correct me if I am wrong, and keep in mind how broke we are. This is one of the cases where I'd really like to have a good look at it before buying, and as I have to order it via amazon because the local stores won't have it, that's not really possible.
  6. Angua_rox New Member

I wouldn't buy it myself. . . . . It doesn't have anything that isn't in THUD! I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have enough cash just to buy everything pTerry has ever written. . . . although I would if I could.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well I haven't finished Thud yet, but I kind of got the impression that the best thing about Where's my cow was the fake review on the back cover of Thud with the Librarian's award stamp that says "Oook !" :D Writing and releasing the book was a joke in itself, but I still feel it's made for collectors of everything Pterry only...
  8. Angua_rox New Member

That is EXACTly right Katcal, I just couldn't think of the words.

It is for collectors only really.

There, now I am satisfied. :)
  9. TheJackal Member

I wouldn't have bought it if I had to order it. It isn't worth the money at all but I am indeed a collector of his novels.

It just annoys me that there was so much scope to write about loads of his characters but only a few were used.
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah. It's to much like a kids book...which i know it is. But i was hoping they'd stick some stuff for the adults in there. I don't like the art word either. Vimes looks like Peter Posalfate (sp?)