Spam in story comments

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Electric_Man, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Electric_Man Templar

I notice there is some spam in the comments of chapter 7 of Buzzfloyd's 2001, which should be deleted and benefit27 should be deleted from the memberlist and reported to their ISP due to the nature of the spam.
  2. chrisjordan New Member

There's the same kind of spam in a lot of the older submissions, too. From those usernames with numbers that we said were probably bots.
  3. Electric_Man Templar

4. TheJackal Member

[quote:24c9d37857="Electric_Man"]
    And possibly more in Jackal's chapters, I haven't looked at all of them.[/quote:24c9d37857]

Yep, I looked, and there's loads of it in my stories. Bastards!
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Bloody spammers. Burn them all !
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i don't see an option to delete it. gonna have to leave it for mal
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Indeed, as CJ mentioned there were some dodgy signups a bit back and a whole spate of spamming on sites like this, PHPNuke sites. I banned a load of IPs at the time and deleted some comments, but there's probably loads of them.

Comments on stories has been disabled for a while now because of this, though I see you can still reply to comments already made - hadn't noticed that.

The only thing to do really is for me to delete the spam comments as we find them, or just delete all the comments in stories from the database in one go. The latter will get rid of the spam totally; though it will delete all our comments too, we can't make any more comments anyway because they're switched off.

I'm not sure we need comments in there anyway, we could just link to our stories from threads on the forum and people can comment in there?
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I guess that's the most straightforward option.
  9. Electric_Man Templar

Yeah, also ensures that stories get seen more. Speaking for myself, I very rarely look at the front page - I only looked at Grace's because of the comment in her thread (and i'm glad it was there)