Tripod

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Orrdos, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Delphine New Member

Yeah, it's a reality TV show, kind of thing. A big boss of a company (in the uk version, Alan Sugar; he founded Amstrad) has candidates competing in different business tasks to win a place in his company for a year, with a six figure salary. At the end of each episode he fires someone, until only one person is left. "You're Fired" is his catchphrase.

It was most amusing when one of them, in a task involving selling things in a market in France, tried to sell mass produced British cheese. :lol:
  2. Orrdos God

It is. Basic premise: man takes on people who try and win a job working for him. Each week, he fires someone. In Ba's case, literally.

The idea was that the dialogue pertaining to that took place just prior to that comic.

The sesame street one, i made ages ago, and i myself didn't get it when i looked at it again. I had to think about it, but it came back.

Basically, snails has a letter "S" on her, and the other dude an "X".

The comic is in association with the letter X, but snails has turned up for it. Late. She however thinks that X dude is early.

Oh well. Perhaps if i have to explain them, it's not so good. In fairness, i expect 9 out 0f 10 people would get the apprentice one at least.

I don't think that they're the worst comics i've made, i can think of several worse.

Can't please everyone I suppose.
  3. Electric_Man Templar

The Ba ones are great, the rest are ok but not amazing.

In other news: you need to update your copyright date for the new comics!
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I see. Now, enough popular culture accessible to the majority! Write some new ones containing esoteric references that only the geeky few will understand! :wink:
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm dissappointed with the lack of the rincwind character. He can say Spoons AND monkeys. So Versitile...

Loving the instant karma one.
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i actually laughed out loud at the ba with tits one. i got the apprentice one, just didn't find it super funny (it was amusing, sure)

the sesame street one makes sense now that it's been explained.

we should have more comics about roman being a whiney jew. and a whole new mini series about kenny struggling to find meaning in an otherwise empty life of hedonism. and maybe a series where plaid falls in love with bauke, and cj challenges bauke to an artist's duel as a result, and then plaid falls in love with doors because she's got a short (get it?) attention span, until ella has a talk with her.

also, the duck comics suck.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ba with tits was fun. The apprentice one was good too. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the others as much as I should, and the sesame street one, even explained is not funny. Or maybe it's due to my lack of sleep.
  8. Pepster New Member

Been a while since I looked at this, nice work Doors.
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Jesus, everone is a critic. There I've told Jesus on you. He's going to come down and fucking kick your fucking heads in. Cruxifix style.
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Passion of the Christ 2: Crucify This!
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Tribute to the greatest comic strip ever:

Panel 1: Garner as Charlie Brown, Doors as Linus (with tartan blanket)
    Garner: I dunno, Doors, I just feel like it'll never work out.
    Doors: Buck up, Garner, after all, you have your friends and your health.

Panel 2: Kenny as Snoopy, atop doghouse
    Kenny: (thought bubble) Oh great, here comes that round-headed god.
    Doors: (sheepish, apologetic grin)
    Garner: ... at least I have my health, right?

Panel 3: Ba, as Lucy, holding a football that looks suspiciously like a bomb.
    Doors: (frightened, holding security tartan tight)
    Ba: (grinning evily)
    Garner: Aaaaaaaaagh!
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Tripod: The Musical!

Panel 1: Doors in a director's chair, Rinso, Ella, Kenny, CJ, and Plaid in the chorus line. Dale also on stage.
    Dale: Alright, places people! This is our last rehersal before opening night!
    Doors: Ach, we're doomed...

Panel 2:
    Ella: When's my cue?
    Doors: About ten minutes before anyone else's.
    Kenny: When is this show going to be on? I'd like to set my VCR to record it.
    Doors: Kenny, this is a LIVE performance, it's not going to be on telly!

Panel 3: (off in the wings, Garner holding a shotgun, aiming at the crowd on stage, grace next to him)
    Grace: But honey, there's such a lack of new talent in British musical theater these days.
    Garner: I know sweetie, that's why I'm trying to make the world better one production at a time. Now cover your ears.
  13. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Panel one: Grace, Avgi, Plaid, and Mynona all staring out a window.
    Grace: I love the new bird table you put in, Avgi. It really brightens up the whole garden.
    Avgi: I even got Ba to promise not to poison the water.
    Mynona: How'd you manage that?

Panel two:
    Avgi: (glancing at plaid) Um... ask me later.
    Plaid: Gee, look! Some birds are playing already!
    Mynona: I think they're blue tits.
    Grace: I like tits.
    Avgi: Me too.

Panel three: in the next room, Grace, Avgi, Plaid, and Mynona visible through a doorway or something. Ba, Garner, and Doors playing cards
    Doors: Ach, I felt a stirring in the force, as if a joke was crying out to be made.
    Garner: Hmmm...
    Ba: Desist.

Panel four: close up of the top of garner's head, with thought balloon extending from it. in the ballon are avgi, plaid, myn, and grace in KISS costume and make up.
    Avgi, Plaid, Myn, and Grace: Iiiiiii wanna rock and roll allllll niiiight!
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

:biggrin: I like tits too...
  15. Hsing Moderator

*cries*
    My favourite "unsketched/written" one so far, and not only because we watched its birth...
    :lol:
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Panel one: Text: "Based on a true story"

Panel two: Garner, with long hair and a red face. also present are buzzfloyd and possibly mynona.
    Buzzfloyd: Oh, honey you're sunburned!
    Mynona: Ooh, yes you are!
    Garner: No I'm not. I'm just doing my impression of a tomato crossed with a cocker spaniel.

Panel three: Text: "This actually reduced Grace to uncontrollable gigglings for quite some time. True story."
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Now that is something I would like to see... or not.
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It was funny because he genuinely looks so much like a tomato crossed with a cocker spaniel at the moment.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just a couple that came to me, for no obvious reason.

Panel 1: A rinso-like character, dressed like a leprechaun with badly fitted false beard, is holding a long roll of paper. He begins reading out what is written on it :
    Rinsoprechaun: "Welcome to Ireland. First, you must file for a PPS number which will be required for all other formalities in this country. To request a PPS number, you must provide a proof of residence and a birth certificate and photo ID. To find a place to live, you must, of course, provide a PPS number, a birth certificate, photo ID, work references proving your current employment, previous landlord references, and a potato."

Panel 2: he continues to read.
    Rinsoprechaun: "To find a job, you must provide a PPS number, your passport, a turnip and work references for at least 2 previous jobs, and of course your bank account details for an Irish bank. To open a bank account, you must provide proof of residence, the only one that will be accepted is the one the letter by which you received your PPS number, plus you must provide photo ID, work references, and a full DNA sample. Do you have any questions ?

Panel 3: widens the shot to show the Katbunny standing next to him, looking... blank.

Panel 4: Katbunny produces a plunger and whacks the Rinsoprechaun over the head.
    Katbunny: "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH !!!!!"

------------

Panel 1: The Rinsoprechaun is back on his feet. Garner is standing next to him giving him a withering look.

Panel 2: The Rinsoprechaun looks timidly at Garner. Withering Garner-look continues.

Panel 3: Rinso looking sheepish*, the beard has come unattached on one side.
    Garner: Beards should be taken seriously, kiddo.

*no pun intended.
  20. mr_scrub New Member

I just read a bunch of these and they are AWESOME*. How have I been unable to find these?

I just thought of one off the top of my head. Also you may need this link to get it: YouTube - Banana Phone

Scene: Ba's house. Ba and Garner in the living room.

1st Panel:
    Ba: Ba congratulates Garner on getting back from the moon. Ba bought a new phone to celebrate.
    *Holds up phone* It's banana shaped.

2nd Panel:
    Garner: Oh my god Ba, is that a banana phone!?
    Ba: Yes. Ba thinks it was a real bargain.
    Garner: Quick, get rid of it before someone calls!

3rd Panel:
    Phone rings and starts playing "Banana Phone"
    Ba and Garner: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

4th Panel: To Be Continued

*Except the ducks.
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Ducks are awful. Strips with Garner in them are always better than strips with ducks.
  22. mr_scrub New Member

Obviously. My cartoon. Is it decent?
  23. Garner Great God and Founding Father

unfortunately, I feel like i'm missing something in it... is 'banana phone' some aspect of popular culture that has passed me by?

i think the key to any ba/garner strip is the way the characters play off each other.

The ba character is a psychopath, the garner character is just apathetic leaning towards spiteful. they are not one dimensional, however. ba is tempered with a *very* slight helping of "wacky" humor, where as garner is more random, attempting surrealism but often missing the mark by some margin.

The strips written by Doors are excellent, because he will foil the garner character more than I ever would, and he plays up the spite more than I feel comfortable with. this expands on the range somewhat, and helps break it out from being a not-actually-auto-bio-at-all-sort-of-thing.

The ba character is probably one of the easiest to write, so long as you go for gleeful (if somewhat dispassionate) sadism. the main thing is that he should be cruel, but dry. his behaviour should be anti-social and shocking. however , and only on rare occasions, he must break from this mold to shock the reader by exploring new depths. an idle if unexpected threat is typical, but if it's something subtle that takes a while to sink in, then that's a nice change of pace.

The garner character - the best way to break the mold for him is to either use him as a punching bag (which is most often done by the Ba character, so long as the efforts are invariably revealed to be futile - he can be beaten but this is transitory) or to show him against a larger character for comparison. for example, garner amongst the doormen is clearly a dominant figure - rinso is only capable of saying 'monkey' or 'spoon', and kenny is an idiot. however in one strip, we see garner meeting the pope. he's almost sycophantic in that one, which is a marked change but - let's be honest now - quite true to both the character and myself.

however, in terms of a 'one off' strip, random, wacky, or zany are all fine things to throw into the mold - my problem is just that i don't have a clue what a banana phone is.
  24. spiky Bar Wench

So if I understand Garner's dissertation on the character development and humour appropriate for a tripod a strip like the following would encapsulate the series:

Panel 1: Ba and Garner: Ba with his arms in the air holding pliers "I will take over the world by extracting everyone's toenails one at a time! Mwahahahahaha!

Panel two: Ba and Garner: Garner: "Meh"

Panle three: The large cartoon foot from Monty Python with squished Ba and garner bits underneath. Emphasis on the foots toenails.

This strip not only exhibits Ba's maniacal, megalomaniac tendencies with his love of small evils, but Garners apathy to such over-the-top behaviour. But the surrealist element is in the revenge of the giant foot, which shows its disapproval of both apathy and sadism by being very definite to end all aspects of it...

Although I would hardly call it funny...
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The comic where funnier when people drew them, rather than just write them out, and now disect them.

Say's I.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

you're just saying that because you want the fake beard to hide your own attempt at one.
  27. Orrdos God

I have drawn some more!

I'm just going to do a few more, then I'll fire them up. Possibly tonight. If not tonight, then it'll be wednesday, cause i'm going to ellas parents tommorrow.

It's kind of odd to see your own work dissected in a forum though.

:)
  28. Orrdos God

Oh yes, and people should totally draw more of them.
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

We could totally dissect something more interesting, but Rinso never hangs around long enough.
  30. mr_scrub New Member

Thank you for the positive criticism. If you don't get it you can watch the video and if you still don't get it I'll tell you. It's a really terrible song by a children's entertainer called Raffi. It's known to have driven people insane and if you get it inside your head you can't get it out. it's not exactly "popular" culture, so it's understandable you don't know about it. Also a banana looks like a phone.
  31. Garner Great God and Founding Father

humor rarely stays humorous for long if it's being investigated. you can pour over the technical aspects of a really good rock song and all you do is gain more of an appreciation for it. you can grind a well written poem into sub-literatomic particles and glean more from the detailed inspection.

however, put a joke to the same rigorous tests and it falls flat. "Why don't they build the whole plane out of that stuff?"

because then the plane wouldn't fly.

so what's left? get angry and say "well then it wouldn't crash, so i still win, neener!"? you can't learn funny.

however, this doesn't mean you can't still evaluate the characters and their izations within the cannon. it may not be *funny*, but it might still be illuminating to someone wanting to pick up where other, lazier, scottish types left off.
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Spiky's meta-cartoon made me laugh out loud for a long time.

I don't know if this says more about me or about the cartoon.
  33. spiky Bar Wench

Well if people can't appreciate the mental stimulation of a written tripod I wasted a lot of time trying to get Paint to create this:

[IMG]
  34. Bradthewonderllama New Member

35. Orrdos God

Ok, as promised, here's some new tripods!

Tripod

I hope they're ok, I admit i'm a bit ring rusty. I do fully intend to do more though, I've got a few ideas kicking about - i just need to find the time
  36. colonesque10 New Member

Nah, you've lost it. They were shite...!

Only joshing, i likes a lot :)
  37. Katcal I Aten't French !

I am actually still laughing at that dagger one...
  38. spiky Bar Wench

I agree with Kat, the dagger one was the best :)
  39. TamyraMcG Active Member

Thanks, for some reason I thought the hilarious Nature one was very funny, but then I am sleep deprived again.
  40. Ba Lord of the Pies

They should get this "Shakespeare" fellow to write all the Tripods from now on. Boy has talent, unlike that Doors hack.
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Agreed, Shakespeare never did talking ducks.
  42. Marcia Executive Onion

More Tripods. I am happy.
  43. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba is attempting to review old Tripods and finds himself thwarted. What has Doors done wrong this time?
  44. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm thinking he's busy with something....
  45. spiky Bar Wench

He's breathing yes?

He's also been conspicuously absent. Obviously he's found shiny newer friends to hang out with and us old tarnished ones just can't compete.
  46. Maljonic Administrator

I think he's let his domain name expire.
  47. Orrdos God

That is exactly what I've done.

I forgot to renew it a few months ago, and I'm too poor/absent minded to fix it.

I do intend to at some point though, hopefully at the start of the new year! I'll maybe even have NEW comics by then. I think it's due a comeback
  48. Garner Great God and Founding Father

doors! you're poor and can steal other people's art. I'm poor and can write enough scripts. bauke's better than either of us but he's not poor enough and has meaningful things to do.

it's clear what action needs to be taken. we band together and form a webcomic, i write, bauke does concept art, you steal it and make the comics. we then get rinso to come up with some supplimentary t-shirts, and we make a fortune.

together we can beat this recession!
  49. Roman_K New Member

*brings folding chair and popcorn*

Now this is going to be good. Try not to fail too quickly, please. If you work at it, we might be able to film your desperate attempts at making ends meet and sell them as a sitcom.
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

**Lolling away** I would definitely buy the boxset ;)
  51. Rincewind Number One Doorman

52. Garner Great God and Founding Father

goddamnit, now i've got *THAT* mental image to follow me to bed...

dammit rinso, i meant in a graphical design sense, not wool production... fuggin razzafrazin...
  53. Tephlon Active Member

I should really set up one of those google alerts for this site and my name....

But I would definitely contribute some reusable art. Just as long as Roman shares his popcorn.
  54. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i sent you the scripts ages ago. get drawing, ink monkey!
  55. Roman_K New Member

*shares*
  56. Orrdos God

Right, so.

Tripod.

It's totally not dead. It's still breathing, just. I fully intend to get back to it at some point in the very near future. I need to get my domain thing sorted out, and upload the full archives at the very least.

After that, I'd hope I can produce a few new ones! However, to tide you over until then, I do have one previously unseen comic that I can show you for now.

[IMG]

As well as that, I've also began working on a NEW webcomic project. This one is planned to be more of an ongoing story type comic, rather than a random gag based thing. It's a pastiche of a 50's sci-fi serial. I'm sure garner'll hate it but, hopefully, other people will like it! I'm not going to give a date for a likely first strip, cause I'm too hideously unreliable for that. I'd hope it won't be too far into the future though. It's been something i've been toying with for a while, so it's good to at least make some headway with it. I even drew the characters in this one myself and everything.

[IMG]
  57. TamyraMcG Active Member

58. Katcal I Aten't French !

Tripod!!!!
  59. spiky Bar Wench

Woohoo!!

As has already been pointed out... it's about damn time!
  60. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Awesome! That one had me laughing out loud, Doors. :) And Garner generally likes 1950s pulp sci-fi, so why should he hate this? Oh, wait...