Venerico being an arse, am I being nasty? Or something else

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Maljonic, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

This is a serious question, so please tell me if I'm in the wrong as I could well be if I'm reading things wrong.

Here goes, Venerico first submitted a whole load of text about Yoda that was copied from another site, so I wrote this:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]I'm afraid you can only submit your own stories here, ones that you have written yourself. The only exception to this is Terry Pratchett and Discworld-related news, and even then you must quote where it came from if you never wreote it yourself. You can not simply copy and paste text from another website and add it here as a story. Sorry. :)[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

Which you may recognise from another thread in which I mentioned no names. Anyway he replied:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]OK Sorry I haven't know.[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

Which is fine by me.

Then Venerico submitted another bit of story to be added to the members' writing section, which is his own I presume; I wasn't sure about it as a full story though, didn't know if he intended to write more or not, so before I published it I sent this message to him:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]Is there more of this story to come? :)[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

He replies:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]I have wrote few stories that ocured on that planet. So I guess YES[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

Still, nothing too wrong there, only I saw that he'd posted the exact same bit of story on the old boards HERE, so, bearing this in mind and the fact that I thought the text was a little fragmented (in my opinion), I wrote to him:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]That's all right then I guess, it doesn't seem like a complete story as it is. I would suggest posting it in a thread on the message boards first to get people's opinions, but it seems you're already posting it on the other Pratchett site - it's going to be a bit odd having duplicates on both sites.

Not that there's anything wrong if you want to post it over there, I just don't think we want to have identical postings on both sites, simply because we are trying to seperate ourselves from them. :) [/quote:3c5c7ec274]

I've also noticed a couple of confusing things he's written in the Shout Box, but that's not important really I guess?

Moving on, I then get a reply to my last PM:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]Fine.[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

So I'm a bit confused, and thinking I may have upset him, so I write back:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]What do you mean 'fine'? Are you upset?[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

Don't hear anything for a day, then get this from Venerico just now:

[quote:3c5c7ec274]You can interpret that as you wish.[/quote:3c5c7ec274]

And that's it really, not a massive deal I suppose; but in the spirit of keeping problems out in the open I thought I'd air this now while it's still only a small matter.

To Venerico, I haven't deleted your story or anything, I was just curious as to which way you are going with it. Just if you're going to publish it on the other boards and discuss it there, I didn't think people here would want to discuss an identical topic. I'm sorry if this has irritated you in some way, or made you feel that I'm trying to tell you what to do, I don't know? It's just that we already have someone bumping their own story to the top on there and I don't want the new Harper Collins moderator to think we're sending people over there to cause trouble for her. I think most of us here would prefer that we keep the two places as seperate as possible.

That's how I see things anyway, I might be totally wrong though, it does happen? :)
  2. Marcia Executive Onion

I don't think there is anything wrong with the story being posted on both sites, since they are separate, unrelated sites. Venerico could submit the story to 100 different sites if he wants.

I really can't decipher what his attitude is, though. It would be helpful if he would respond.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

It's more the attitude I was worried about at this point than the posting on the other site; I was just waiting to see what he wanted to do with his story, I was wondering if I came across in the wrong way and sounded too harsh or something?
  4. Tabatha New Member

Hi Maljonic,

Have read through your post a few times and in my opinion you are not being nasty. Alas the replies to your questions are not very nice so I'm afraid I would have to go with the arsehole option. :roll: Hopefully it is a passing phase and will soon improve :)

Can't help it a born optimist.
  5. Maljonic Administrator

Thanks, I wouldn't say he's an arsehole though, just a bit tetchy perhaps? :)
  6. Tabatha New Member

Well Maljonic,

It is possible I am wrong not been doing this activity very long but I still say your comments don't seem nasty or harsh.

All we can do is wait and see.

Maybe Venerico just had a bad day.
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Is Venerico a native English speaker? If English is not his first language (and it doesn't seem to be, from his use of it), he may be giving an impression he doesn't intend or mistaking the tone of your words, Mal.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

I had thought of that, I'm not sure though; guess we'll have to wait and see if he says anything about this? Just don't want any bad feelings in the air. :)
  9. Tephlon Active Member

I think being a non-native english speaker does not really excuse the random stuff in the shoutbox though:
    [quote:527f0a2534]Venerico: How, how, how! Marry Crissmas, and happy new year!
    Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:26 pm [/quote:527f0a2534]

I also remember him procalaiming to be a shrimp or a walrus or something?!? (By the way Mal, the history on the shoutbox doesn't work)
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Works for me, the history I mean. You could try clicking Proclamations in the menu instead, but in theory it should do exactly the same thing. :)

Also I'm pretty sure that Venerico knows what he's saying.
  11. Tephlon Active Member

hmm, works now. Dunno why it didn't work 1hour and 30 minutes ago....
  12. Maljonic Administrator

That's all history... :)
  13. fairyliquid New Member

It's a tricky one because to start with the english is sketchy and a little confusing. Then he says
    [quote:b19ddf31a9]You can interpret that as you wish.[/quote:b19ddf31a9]
    which is something someone more confident with english would come out with. The again, he could have picked it up somewhere and is just using it.

It's not an immediate problem, nor is it that significant. I guess all we can do for now is wait till he speaks up....
  14. Venerico New Member

I see taht you have discused about me.
    I'll give you some answers.
    English is not my native language.
    I felt offended, for the first time. But then I calm down, and I thought about everything, so now I'm really relaxed.
    I agree if you still want display my story.
    P.S.
    I listened to your advice Maljonic, so I deleted my story from the other site.

P.P.S.
    And I'm sorry for that "Christmass" proclamation. I was a bit sleepy you know :oops:
  15. Venerico New Member

I still feel bad about "Yoda" story.
    When I wrote that, I had very little knowledge about functioning of this site.
  16. Tephlon Active Member

It's okay. Just the fact that you are taking the comments and replying to them, in a mature fashion, will please many here.
  17. Maljonic Administrator

The Yoda story doesn't matter, I only put that in there to give a full history of our messages.

Anyway, thank you for posting; as long as there are no bad feelings then there's nothing else to say as far as I'm concerned. I just wasn't sure. :)
  18. Venerico New Member