Volunteers for office humor project

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

As discussed on the mailing list, this morning at my office there was much discussion of goal posts and their curious locomotion.

To commiserate, commemorate, or cohabitate the phrase "the goal posts keep moving," I propose that volunteers from around the globe help out by sending in co-ordinated post cards to the admin office.

A typical message would be something along the lines of:

"Dear office,

Hope things are well back home. We're enjoying [location of current sender], but will be moving on soon to [location of next sender].

Wish you were here,

(signed) The Goal Posts"

since the going rate for a post card and stamp is affordable even for the likes of Rinso or Doors, I imagine this would be reasonably easy for everyone?

Once I have a list of volunteers, I'll work up an itenerary for the goal posts and give you a date to post yours in. We needn't be restricted to one volunteer per country. Either the goal posts can visit a different region (with different regional post cards) or go back to some place they really enjoyed the first time.

Who's up for it?
  2. Hsing Moderator

Me.

But when setting up a date, remember how long certain postcards need to arrive...
  3. Tephlon Active Member

Sign me up.

Portugal

Hsing: Post dates are what counts.
  4. lipi New Member

I! :bunny:
  5. Roman_K New Member

Sign me up, sounds amusing enough.
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

yeah. i'm thinking of staggering the cards by a week for national borders, or three days if the next locale is within a day's driving distance.
  7. jaccairn New Member

I'm in. I could even do you a nice port of Dover one.
  8. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Actual writing?
    I think I can remember how to do that :wink:
    I'm in.
  9. mazekin Member

Sounds like fun. Count me in :smile:
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

thanks guys. i'll leave this open for a few days to allow for more respondants.

i'm thinking of charting a path from Brighton outwards, so the closer you are to Brighton, the earlier you'll be on the list.
  11. randywine Member

12. Mynona Member

13. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba's in.
  14. Garner Great God and Founding Father

let's see if i can scare up two more for an even dozen, and then we'll get this started. could folks be kind enough to remind me of their locations?
  15. TamyraMcG Active Member

I could do it.
  16. spiky Bar Wench

I'm in... Why am I always so late?
  17. jaccairn New Member

18. Katcal I Aten't French !

I'm in, Dublin, Oyreland...

In fact, we have a similar joke about Scope Creep. As in the thing you were originally asked for turning into something twice the size, then all the content changes, then the deadlines move, and then the whole thing changes completely, and once you've finished making all the updates, the project gets scrapped. Would anyone like to send us a postcard from the Scope Creep too?
  19. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Durham City up in the northeast... No one will believe Pity Me.

Although there is a village a few miles away called No Place. Just the place to live when questioned by a zealous traffic cop. :D
  20. randywine Member

Livingston, Scotland.*

R.

*Where roundabouts go to die.
  21. plaid New Member

put me on the list.

i just moved back to utah. but we could pretend i was from seattle still if you like that better.
  22. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Utah's grand, Plaid.

Om's in from colorado.

I'll start up the itenerary tomorrow if I have time.
  23. plaid New Member

woah, was that really you typing that, garner? those capital letters... they worry me.
  24. Saccharissa Stitcher

25. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm in Minnesota, still.
  26. Mynona Member

If you don't know where I'm at, you ought to be shot in the foot.

And then, if you can't be bothered to shift your gaze the slight fraction needed to read where I'm at you ought to get stabbity-stab-stabbed
  27. spiky Bar Wench

I'm pretty sure I get to be last as the person farthest away and with the crappiest mail system... Although if any members have moved to Antarctica recently they win with being the furthest away and all sympathy votes.
  28. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I've whipped up a draft itenerary and sent it to the mailing list for preliminary critiques. If no one spots any issues, it'll be PM'd to participants tonight.

And Spikey, Australia's pretty high up on the list (if you count UK and US destinations as one each, at least.)
  29. spiky Bar Wench

Yay! I don't feel so isolated but I do feel slightly inferior... I mean always coming after the UK and USA can get a person down...
  30. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i decided to have the goal posts start locally and move steadily outwards on a world tour. sorry folks for not having the details up sooner. will get to it this weekend.
  31. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Okay, here's the itenerary. I can't get this to space out neatly for the boards, so it looks a bit cluttered i'm afraid. I'll PM the address to everyone.

The goal posts are on a world tour. When it's your turn, feel free to write about where the goal posts are going, or where they've been, as much as where they are. We might be able to achieve a sustained narrative this way. Please date the post card so that the office staff can piece together the tour even if the cards arrive out of order.

Lastly, please let us know when you've sent your card off, so the next person can start counting down. Jaccairn will kick things off 'Day 0', and then Jocculator waits three days or so to send his off, he lets us know when it's gone and Randywine counts down three days, etc etc. Once we get out of the UK, I imagine that post cards are going to start overtaking each other but oh well. that's half the fun of post cards.

Participant - Location - Card sent on Day
    Jaccairn - Dover - 0
    Jocculator - Durham - +3
    Randywine - Scotland - +3
    Katcal - Dublin - +4
    Mazekin - West Ireland - +3
    Bauke - Portugal - +4
    Tamyra - Minnesota - +5
    Ba - Texas - +2
    Om - Collorado - +2
    Plaid - Utah - +2
    Spiky - Australia - +7
    Roman - Israel - +6
    Avgi - Greece - +3
    Lipi - Slovenia - +3
    Hsing - Germany - +3
    Mynona - Sweden - +3
  32. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Everyone should have a PM with the school's address details now. If not, please let me know.
  33. jaccairn New Member

When do you want to start?
  34. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

As a last minute thought...
    I don't know if it would add to or spoil the fun for everyone, but would it be an acceptable idea for everyone to post their card contents on this thread after they send off the actual card?

It would at least allow the other participants to see the progress of the Goal Post family and share the fun, or were you going to publish the complete series after the event?

I suspect probably none of the staff are aware of this thread, so we wouldn't be spoiling the plot.

Just a thought. :D
  35. Garner Great God and Founding Father

start whenever you're ready, Jaccairn.

Joculator, i'd be fine with people posting the contents when they post the cards. that could help sustain a narrative of the Goal Posts on Holiday, or what have you. I'm not terribly worried about anyone from work stumbling upon the thread, but if that should happen:

please don't fire me, it was only a joke. Incidentally, my first name is Bob, I'm a Fresian, and I work at Bob's Fresian Carpet Factory.
  36. jaccairn New Member

First card sent this morning. Contents as follows. Postcard 4 coast scenes titled Whitecliffs Country (or something like that, I forget exactly). It should arrive the beginning of the week.

Dear All

As I've been moving around so much, I thought I'd show you where I've been. It's gloriously sunny this morning though breezy here on the cliffs, but you can see France in the distance. I'm off to the Castle later then moving on as I want to see as many sights and experiences as I can. I'll let you know where, if I can find another nice person to write this for me.

Lots of Love

The Goalposts
  37. Garner Great God and Founding Father

38. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'm having to make this post a day early but card #2 will be officially on its way with the first collection on Tuesday morning.
    Hopefully you will see it arrive before the weekend.

[IMG]

Dear All,
    We decided to move North to the Land of the Prince Bishops.
    The Cathedral at Durham is a magnificent sight as the train rolls over the viaduct into the station.
    Great fun rowing on the river but we'll be moving again soon.
    Regards
    The Goalposts.
  39. mazekin Member

Card #3 has been dispatched - or at least, is sitting waiting for the Postman.

I forgot to scan it or take a picture, but it's of a nice castle. I did look for a postcard with actual goalposts, but apparently the local newsagents had just sold the last one. (I'm actually serious here...they had them!!!)

Dear All,

As you can see from the picture, I’ve decided to go to the magnificently sunny West of Ireland. The views are fantastic, and I had a lovely traditional medieval meal at Bunratty Castle in Clare. Well, my time is growing short here, so it’s time to move again.
    Till the next time,

The Goalposts
  40. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Ooops... Isn't you card #5? Another 10 days yet! :D
  41. mazekin Member

crud. I blame lack of sleep, stress and food poisoning for my sheer idiocy...apologies all...
  42. randywine Member

I'll send mine out tomorrow.
  43. jaccairn New Member

It might be better to wait a few days Randywine, give them a chance to recover from Maz's early one.
  44. Garner Great God and Founding Father

we have an admin forum on monday, so i'm hoping to find out how the cards are being received then. will let you know if it' being talked about.
  45. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Randy, would you mind waiting a few days? let Katcal send hers out next and have the cards double back.
  46. randywine Member

No worries, I'll wait 3 or 4 days after Katcal and send mine on its way.

Randy.
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

Okily dokily, I has postcard, will post this weekend and shout once it's gone.
  48. Tephlon Active Member

I'm buying postcards tomorrow.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

Right, mine is in the post, will leave the postbox on Monday.

Postcard reads something like: "Top o'the morning to ya! A bit disappointed with Dublin I must say, although the Guinness is good and plentiful, I have yet to see a single leprechaun. Also, notable lack of gold-paved streets. False publicity says I! Will be moving on soon. xx The Goalposts."

Got rather confused whether the Goalposts should be I or we, stupid pen and paper and lack of editing possibilities...
  50. Garner Great God and Founding Father

51. Katcal I Aten't French !

Have any arrived yet, Big G?
  52. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Not that I've heard of. I'll be over at the main office tomorrow and will see what I can find out.
  53. randywine Member

I havent bought a stamp in ages, you dont have to lick them now, they come pre-sticky!

Wow, we are in the future indeed.

*Ahem* Anyhow...

Postcard will be in the box this afternoon. It reads something like this:

Hello from Sunny Scotland :smile:
    I've been up mountains and down the glens, might as well do the cliches...
    Still not sure what a 'Glasgow Kiss' is, bit I feel it may have less to do with lips and more to do with high-speed forehead action. and whiskey.
    On a more lyrical note, September has kissed Scotland with lovely weather, and the highlands glow in the early autumn. Now on to Portugal. I think...

The Goalposts.
  54. Ba Lord of the Pies

Soon... Soon Ba's time will come.
  55. randywine Member

Unfortunately there is a postal strike on so the postcard may take some time.
  56. Ba Lord of the Pies

Bauke should make a note of it in his postcard.
  57. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Indeed. I'm starting to wonder if that's why no one's mentioned them yet. I did bring one of the lecturers in on the gag, and she hasn't seen any yet, but then she doesn't teach from that building very often.

Oh well. keep posting em and we'll see how it works out.
  58. lipi New Member

So... who was the last to post it? Is it my turn yet?
  59. spiky Bar Wench

It would Tamyra's turn... Now where is she??
  60. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm still here, I have tomorrow off so I can send the card (coincidentally). Then it will be Ba's turn.