What films have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Delphine, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Delphine New Member

So, this thread was quite a long running one on the old board. Let's have a new one.

Anyone seen anything interesting lately? Old or new, dvd or cinema, TV or even video, if you are that behind the times ;)

I saw Finding Neverland the other day. It was good, sad in a happyish way... Johnny Depp has a great Scottish accent in it.
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Did I post about the Island?

Well, It was ok. A bit rubbish. An example of a movie being almost good. It almost had a good plot-but didn't do anything with it. And he almost had great action, but didn't have enough of it.
  3. sleepy_sarge New Member

As I see most of the films I watch from a seat in an aircraft cabin, I suppose I should go to a thread called "what films have you slept through recently?"

However, much against my better judgement, I went to see [i:58c07190b5]"Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"[/i:58c07190b5] and hated it.

Don't get me wrong, if I hadn't grown up with the books, radio and tv series, then it would have been fine. As it was, it just grated on me.

Much, I suspect, as a Discworld film would, for exactly the same reasons.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

Hulk was the last film I saw, it was rubbish even by my standards. :)
  5. Tephlon Active Member

Saw/Rented "Sideways" and "Team America".

Sideways is very good. Deserving of the Oscar nominations.

Team America is a lot of fun. It's so well done. The sexscene is incredibly funny.
  6. jaccairn New Member

Haven't seen any films recently but I'm currently working my way throught the first series of The Water Margin.
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The Hulk was wank. Though the directing was the most comic book like. With the spilt screens.

Both Sideways and Team America where great. Though for different reasons!
  8. fairyliquid New Member

last film i saw was charlie and the chocolate factory...not only did it cost me £5, it wasn't even that good. It was just a re-make of the old one with a bit more colour.
  9. hermes New Member

I saw [i:635a86aaa7]Shall We Dance?[/i:635a86aaa7] last night. It was so utterly horrible that I had to go watch [i:635a86aaa7]Amélie[/i:635a86aaa7] again to cleanse the taint from my mind ;)

I don't see very many movies nowadays, I must admit.
  10. Cynical_Youth New Member

I saw [i:b8a02bb206]Gattaca[/i:b8a02bb206] a few days ago. It was pretty good.
  11. drunkymonkey New Member

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I was cynical about going to see it, but I was quite impressed. It was very much up to date without losing any charm, actually stayed truer to the book than the original and the Oompa Loompas singing was just terrific.
  12. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:996c510665="Delphine"]Old or new, dvd or cinema, TV or even video, if you are that behind the times.][/quote:996c510665]
    Don't forget PSP. The image quality is great. Only problem there are really only two movie worth watching (so far, anyway): Kung Fu Hustle and Dave Chapel: For What its Worth.
    Edit: because the quote feature hates me.
  13. Hex New Member

I've been watching a few movies over the weeks.
    I loved Charlie and the Chocolate factory, but Johnny Depp was very creepy.
    I also saw Wimbledon, which was hilarious.

But I've mostly been watching Broken Saints on the internet. Thank you again for recommending it Rinso. Only one more chapter to go and it's getting very exciting!!
  14. Cassiepeia New Member

I recently saw Land of the Dead ([i:3ff9cdd8a1]could[/i:3ff9cdd8a1] have been great, but instead was complete rubbish :roll: ) and Wedding Crashers. I LOVED Wedding Crashers, not Oscar material ( :lol: ) by any means, but definately worth the money for the ticket...a nice escape for a couple of hours. :)

Cass.
  15. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:c10c44d8d8="Hex"]

But I've mostly been watching Broken Saints on the internet. Thank you again for recommending it Rinso. Only one more chapter to go and it's getting very exciting!![/quote:c10c44d8d8]

I should everyone had forgot about that!

It's great Isn't it! Parts of it are so intense.

PLEASE EVERONE WATCH IT!
  16. sampanna New Member

I saw "Arsenic and Old Lace" .. it's a good, funny movie. I suppose it can be called a black comedy. Stars Cary Grant.

I also saw "The House of Sand and Fog" starring Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly. It's a beautifully done tragedy, and both act quite well. If we have some Iranian on board, or someone in regular contact with one - how correct was Ben Kingsley's accent in the movie?
  17. Hex New Member

[quote:d707e4df8b="Rincewind"][quote:d707e4df8b="Hex"]

But I've mostly been watching Broken Saints on the internet. Thank you again for recommending it Rinso. Only one more chapter to go and it's getting very exciting!![/quote:d707e4df8b]

I should everyone had forgot about that!

It's great Isn't it! Parts of it are so intense.

PLEASE EVERONE WATCH IT![/quote:d707e4df8b]

I finished watching the last episode Rinso.
    My brain hurts from all the thinking it has been forced to do.
    I think I may have to save up my money and order the DVD. Because it's that good!
    What Rincewind said : WATCH IT!

Other than that, no movies to report...
  18. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I might get the DVD too.

My favourite bit its when there on the boat towards the end. It's so intense!

Tonight I'm going to an outside screening of 'Shawn of the Dead' Then 'Land of the Dead'

hoping it doesn't rain!
  19. colonesque10 New Member

I watched 'The Island' the other day with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett blardiddy blah in. Not a bad film but a little predictable and done before in my opinion. Although Steve Belsumi(sp) was in it, and he rocks! :)

Just got the Father Ted boxset for my birthday and have started watching them, pure entertainment.

I'd also like to reccomend 'Long Way Round' the series that was on CH4 a few months back. It's abot Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie somebody who motorcycle from London to New York, going East all the time. Brilliant scenery and historical and geographical pieces in it. Theres even a crash scene. :)
  20. Kat_in_the_Hat New Member

We just got a DVD player (we are now cool and fashionably up to date) so we celebrated by watching a ton of old musicals ([i:096879f95c]Singing in the Rain, Brigadoon, Sound of Music, and West Side Story[/i:096879f95c]) Singing in the Rain was good, Brigadoon was weird, Sound of Music was good (the only one I've seen before, it's still a favorite of mine but West Side Story bothered me much. I mean...how many inner city gangs do you know who are mainly composed of members of the New York City Ballet? And go around singing "Boy, boy, crazy boy, be cool boy?" Or sing at all? But I did cry buckets at the end so that makes it all good.
  21. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:fe778f285e="Rincewind"]I might get the DVD too.

My favourite bit its when there on the boat towards the end. It's so intense!

Tonight I'm going to an outside screening of 'Shawn of the Dead' Then 'Land of the Dead'

hoping it doesn't rain![/quote:fe778f285e]

It was great fun!

Simon Pegg and some of the cast where there to introduce the movies!

God, I really love Shaun of the Dead. It's such a great movie!
  22. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:8e61ea7853="Rincewind"]God, I really love Shaun[/quote:8e61ea7853]

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

:D

If thats wrong, I don't want to be right!
  24. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:3514bb7cd1="Rincewind"]God, I really love the Dead.[/quote:3514bb7cd1]

Necrophiliaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac!
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

If thats a sick perverison of nature, then perv me up!
  26. Hex New Member

I watched Ocean's Twelve last night.

It was okay, but I preferred the first one.

Is anyone else sick of Brad Pitt, or is it just me?

I just find him annoying...
  27. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:55277f7a9d="Hex"]
    Is anyone else sick of Brad Pitt, or is it just me?

I just find him annoying...[/quote:55277f7a9d]

I think he's quite charming in a 18th century sort of way!! :oops:

I think Rinso Gaynessssss may have spread, damn him and his disease carrying beard.

I watched 'Man on Fire' last night which was a top top film. I'm a huge fan of Denzel Washingtons and he didn't dissapoint in this one, nice and gory too. :)
  28. Mooseman New Member

I watched War of the Worlds two nights ago, tis a great film :D I've never seen the original or heard the radio show, I think it makes it better.

Rinso, please stop loving Shaun. Hes dead you know.
  29. Nadnerb New Member

I saw [i:6ef250bbee]War of the Wordls[/i:6ef250bbee] at a theater. It was good; lots of action, some scary parts, and I actually cared what happened to them. The end though...terrible. "This is why they died, the end." :roll:
  30. Mooseman New Member

The end is one of the best bits.
    It hasnt got all that macho hero carp "I found thier weakness and now I will kill them all"
    Its good that they all woulda died regardless of what people were doing.

Gives another reason to stay home, be lazy and let the world sort it out itself. ;)
  31. colonesque10 New Member

I really enjoyed war of the worlds but I also thought it ended a bit abruptly and I also thought it started a bit on the quick side without any real character introduction. Still good film though.

Might be going to watch 'Crash' tonight which i've heard is supposed to be really good. :)

:( (poor Bob)
  32. Victimov8 New Member

I was a little disappointed with War of the Worlds, I grew up with the musical, which I still prefer. At least it followed the story...
    There was a film of it a few years ago, which was a bit closer, as I recall

It is watchable though.

Sadly I just subjected myself to Scooby Doo 1 [b:d7032d2fb0]&[/b:d7032d2fb0] 2

I need to get out more...
  33. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I just seen 'Elephant Man' it's so [i:736b52846f]sad[/i:736b52846f]. All the way through I looked just like unhappy bob.

Me:( and Bob :(

Poor Elephant Man.:(
  34. colonesque10 New Member

Just watched Crash which was superb. It wasn't really on the subject I expected the film to be related to but still really enjoyed it. It tackles the Racism issue in many ways along different loop storylines that all meet at some part of the film. Great, I reccomend it to anyone. Best film of the year apart from Sin City. :)
  35. spiky Bar Wench

I spent my weekend watching The Life Aquatic, as weird as all of Wes ANderson films, but if you like that sort of thing its good. I particularly liked that matching underpants :)

The Incredibles - just love the "you've got me monologuing" bit...

The Interpreter - A good film, quite unexpected. I just wished they'd used an actual African country eg the Congo it would have made it more real and drawn attention to some of the real life atrocities that are really happening... Apparently something like 4 million people have been killed in the Congo in the last 5 years, which makes Palestine/Israel look like a walk in the park and that gets 10 minutes of news time a night.
  36. ArthurDent New Member

Just watched The Terminal
  37. ArthurDent New Member

Just saw Runaway Jury
  38. Rincewind Number One Doorman

39. ArthurDent New Member

It was nothing special but still entertaining.
  40. fudgecake New Member

I'm going to see War of the Worlds on Monday and I've recieved 2 different reviews of it - reviews from magazines and internet, which say it's good, and reviews from my friends, who say it's rubbish. We shall soon see...
  41. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I really enjoyed this (bar the very end) Tom cruise was very good as a man learning to be a father and Dycoata Fanning was great in it!
  42. fudgecake New Member

She's the little girl who looks like she should be in a horror movie saying [i:493eb5b1f9]"Daddy? This is my new imaginary friend, Charlie... He'd just LOVE to play with you....."[/i:493eb5b1f9]

Yes? :lol:
  43. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yes, only shes a good actress. The bits when she [spoilers] [size=9:27a4318275]seen the river of dead bodies, and when she was in the car in the mob sence, she does great crying upset without it feeling fake[/size:27a4318275][spoiler]

Ps: isn't the small letters great for spoilers!
  44. TamyraMcG Active Member

I thought she [b:da1aa47014]was[/b:da1aa47014] in such a horror movie?
  45. fudgecake New Member

She probably was... she just has the right sort of eyes for it...

[img:c53c8e981d]http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5759/df6td.jpg[/img:c53c8e981d]

N'est pas? :lol:
  46. Cynical_Youth New Member

Saw [i:95f18982ac]The Silence of the Lambs[/i:95f18982ac] on Tuesday. Meh, not really scary at all. Good story, though.
  47. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:efa388e910="TamyraMcG"]I thought she [b:efa388e910]was[/b:efa388e910] in such a horror movie?[/quote:efa388e910]

Yeah, she was in that one with De Niro, can't quite remember the name of it. I saw it a couple of weeks ago, good film. She is quite a good actress. She was good in 'Man on Fire' I thought. :)
  48. ArthurDent New Member

I'm pretty sure the name was Hide and Seek.
  49. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:3ede365f74="ArthurDent"]I'm pretty sure the name was Hide and Seek.[/quote:3ede365f74]

Yeah, thats the one. Not too shabby a film. :)
  50. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It looked terrible from the adverts. Shes a great actress though. She was wicked in War of the Worlds.
  51. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:c92ac42e9d="Rincewind"]It looked terrible from the adverts. Shes a great actress though. She was wicked in War of the Worlds.[/quote:c92ac42e9d]

It wasn't terrible. Not a classic by De Niro but worth a watch I would say. :)

Watched 'Lock Up' last night. A really old Sylvester Stallone film. Pretty much the same as all the macho jail dramas from that time.

I love films I do, they're brilliant! 8)
  52. QuothTheRaven New Member

I just watched [i:3dbc18eb1b]The Brothers Grimm.[/i:3dbc18eb1b]
    It wasn't as good as Twelve monkeys or Brazil, but still vary good.
  53. colonesque10 New Member

I've watched loads of films since I last posted but the one that really surprised me and intrigued me was 'White Noise' with Michael Keaton, i'm not sure how you spell his name but you know I mean Batman. The films about the way dead people and maybe 'not yet quite dead' people can reach us through interference on the radio or visually through a TV. Its deffo worth a watch. :)

Also watched Oceans 12 which was not too shabby but not too brilliant either.

Poor Bob :(
  54. Maljonic Administrator

I watched Donni Darko again with Marcia yesterday, she never saw it before and now she's confuuuuused. :)
  55. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:172256d128="Maljonic"]I watched Donni Darko again with Marcia yesterday, she never saw it before and now she's confuuuuused. :)[/quote:172256d128]

That is a film I keep meaning to see but have never gotten round to it. I was told it is a bit of a puzzler, probably best I don't get round to it then, with my mind.

Also, i'm buying Sin City on DVD tomorrow because it ROCKS! :cooler:
  56. Hex New Member

I saw the Truman show on Saturday night.
    Awesome movie. It just proves all my theories about reality TV ruining people's lives!!

:D
  57. Faerie New Member

I saw Constantine for the first time and The Scorpion King for the umpteenth time. I also watched Aladdin and The King of Thieves on Disney, Aladdin is one of the best Disney films.
  58. Rincewind Number One Doorman

On Sunday I spent a day in the cinema and watched 4 movies (thank you UGC unlimited pass!)

1: Howls Moving Castle, by the guy who made Spirited away. Great movie, great animation. The end was a bit rushed but the animation is so good it doesn’t matter. I’d would have preferred to see the Japanese version (with sub titles) rather than the dubbed one, but the English voice acting was great.

2: Crash: a bit preachy, but wicked. Great acting and a really good story.

3:Longest Yard: Rubbish. Completely unoriginal (I know it was a remake- but if your not going to try anything new why bother). It was like it couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a comedy or drama and failed at both. It didn’t make me laugh once and some stupid little girl was kicking my chair all the way through.

4. One night in Mongok: Great. I didn’t know anything at all about this movie (other than the one stentance blurb). Which is the best way to go view a movie because you’ve got no expectations is. I watched it, it was ok. Seemed like it was shaping up to be an ok, enjoyable but not that great movie, but then the last 20mins suddenly made it awesome (which means it got quite bloody)
  59. OmKranti Yogi Wench

This weekend I wastched all three Evil Dead (Evil Dead, Dead By Dawn & Army Of Darkness)movies. Bruce Campbell is funny. And the blood, oh my, did you ever see so much fake blood ever?

All in all, very funny.
  60. ArthurDent New Member

[quote:994925c965="OmKranti"]This weekend I wastched all three Evil Dead (Evil Dead, Dead By Dawn & Army Of Darkness)movies. Bruce Campbell is funny. And the blood, oh my, did you ever see so much fake blood ever?

All in all, very funny.[/quote:994925c965]

Hail to the king, baby!