a question for mal...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

right, so, i carry around with me three american silver dollars. eisenhower ones. they're big coins.

i have had, at numerous times in the past few years, dreams involving coins. sometimes i have a collection, sometimes i find a stash, sometimes i'm just looking at them on a display, etc. the coins are usually quite large, too large to be useful as currency, really. they don't often have much bearing on anything else going on in the dreams, but they're the bit that tends to stick with me when i wake up.

whats teh deal with coins?
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I usually tell people that I don't do dream stuff on here, but anyway...

Do you mean you carry those coins around all the time, in your waking life?

If you do, that could have a lot to do with them being in your dreams all the time. Or maybe the reason you carry them around is connected to the reason they're in your dreams?
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

well, i carry a couple of pocket knives and three dice around as well, and i never dream about them.

i was just wondering if coins are supposed to have some sort of standard dream symbolism, and grace suggested you'd be the perfect person to ask.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

Money in general is a standard dream symbol:

[quote:115ec1f7cf="Maljonic's Dream Dictionary"][b:115ec1f7cf]Money[/b:115ec1f7cf]

The significance money has in your waking life is reflected in your dream state. Money is a symbol of power and wealth. We often judge ourselves based on our ability to make it, save it, and spend it. First consider your own relationship with money and your current financial situation, as this dream could be simple wish-fulfilment. As always, consider all of the accompanying details in your dream because they will help you to understand where your issues lie. Generally, money may represent those things that are most valuable to you and not necessarily cash.[/quote:115ec1f7cf]

But generalities don't always work with dreams, they're more of an individual thing - though some common symbols can mean similar things to lots of people you still need to make adjustments sometimes to get them to apply to you.

Anyway I said that maybe the reason you carry the coins around has a connection with the reason they're in your dreams. The same would apply if you were dreaming about your pocket knives all the time, or the dice. I could guess that it might be your subconscious attempting to remind you of your roots with the coins or something like that, but that's only making assumptions as to why you carry the coins around and starts to fall into the mumbo jumbo area of dream interpretation.

I think, psychologically, that it really does depend on your reasons for carrying the coins around. My thinking is based partially on the fact that you mentioned them first before you wrote about the dreams so you're already thinking there's a connection yourself.
  5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

well, at times there've been dreams where i've found a stash of other eisenhower silver dollars (usually larger than life though) and that made me think about the ones i carry around.

plaid asked why i carry three silver dollars around anyway... one was given to me by my maternal grandfather, with a bit of advice that so long as you could prove you had a dollar in your pocket, you could never be arrested for vagrancy, or something like that.

the next one was given to me by my friend bo, who'd received it as a payment while he worked at a service station. i dropped in to say hello, and he demanded i give him a dollar, which i did, and he handed me the silver dollar that went into the ritual junk i lug around with me everywhere.

the last one came from a stash of coins that we found in my paternal grandmother's house, along with a lot of other coins. i took the eisenhower, and we put the other coins somewhere safe as they were old enough to be worth collecting in their own right.

and, in the way of meaningless rituals, those coins became part of my standard kit. once upon a time, i carried enough junk around in my pockets to provide an instant comedy routine if i had to empty my pockets for any reason. everything from useful bits of string to spent brass from rifle cartridges to suction cups and paper clips... everything neatly tucked away in its proper pocket... i had a fly fishing vest (waist coat) that had lots of extra pockets for storing tackle. i used it to store my various junk.

over the years, the ritual's streamlined itself. these days, i've got my pocket knives, my silver dollars, and my house keys in one pocket, my dice, my change purse, and my pen drive in the other.

no where near as interesting.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I just got some rare bank notes delivered today, just went to pick them up from the post office. :)
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:7bf4b563d2="Garner"] went into the ritual junk i lug around with me everywhere.

and, in the way of meaningless rituals, those coins became part of my standard kit.

over the years, the ritual's streamlined itself. [/quote:7bf4b563d2]
    I'd just like to point out that these rituals are not a thing that everyone has. This is one of your personal idiosyncrasies. It might be worth looking at why you have these 'meaningless rituals' in order to understand the significance of the coins.

I was surprised to read Mal's post about money, because I don't think of those coins as money but as artefacts. Perhaps you should think about which they represent to you. If they are not currency but artefacts, then the clue will be in what the artefacts mean to you.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

The post about money was a response to Garner asking if there's a standard meaning for coins. I then went on to say that there is more likely a connection with why he carries them around than any generalities about money.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Right. I wasn't very clear there, was I? I had meant to include some connecting sentences about agreeing with what you then went on to say, and how the bit about money made me think more carefully about different possibilities.
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Cool. I think I would have mentioned the roundness, that coins have faces (usually 3) and all that malarky - but I think the fact that he carries them around makes a big difference.
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

12. Pepster New Member

Heads, tails and the side I imagine.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

I was thinking two faces, as in flat surfaces, and a country leader.