Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Electric_Man, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Electric_Man Templar

A question first: Is it possible to block avatars that are over a certain size, KB-wise?

If so: shall we, and at what size?
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I would think it is possible, but I don't have the technical know-how to be able to judge what's sensible. I know I don't like moving avatars.
  3. Ba Lord of the Pies

It's possible (and implemented) for avatars uploaded to the site. Less so for avatars hosted elsewhere.
  4. Roman_K New Member

I feel it should be implemented for off-site avatars as well, if possible. This will deal with any future problems with animated avatars. As for size, a limit of 10-20kb is quite reasonable, I believe.
  5. Electric_Man Templar

I don't think all animations are annoying, there are some that are more sedate that don't give you epilepsy (e.g. My blinking avatar) and there are those that are actually quite smooth.

Bandwidth is the main consideration, because when I'm at home I don't want to have to wait 5 minutes for a page to load because someone has a huge avatar. More importantly, we can't have an automatic system that blocks animated avatars anyway. Well actually we probably could, but it would take a lot of work and coding/buying it from someone who has done so already.
  6. colonesque10 New Member

I was wondering how, i have a complete lack of knowledge on IT issues, I could use my 'Winston' avatar from the other board? :)
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Find the picture, right click on it and choose 'Properties'. You should see the URL for the picture. Copy that URL and paste it here in either the box for a remotely hosted avatar or to upload it to this board.
  8. Ba Lord of the Pies

Upload it. It's considered poor form to expect one message board to host a person's avatar on another.
  9. queenynci New Member

[quote:82a86af38e="Roman_K"]I feel it should be implemented for off-site avatars as well, if possible. This will deal with any future problems with animated avatars. As for size, a limit of 10-20kb is quite reasonable, I believe.[/quote:82a86af38e]

I'm going to try and upload a different avatar. Is this size ok, or would you prefer something smaller?