Balderdash and Piffle

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Perdita, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Perdita New Member

This was the name of a progamme I watched on Television last night. I had seen adverts for it but actually assumed it was going to be in gameshow format for some reason -it wasn't and I wasn't disapointed!

The programme looked at the origins of some words and phrases and how they came into popular use.- I found it really interesting!

I had never before considered what the word 'naff' really meant. :oops:

The progamme makers are still looking for contributions to help them rectify words (the meaning of) contained within the Oxford English Dictionary. Please attempt to use the below link for more information. Perhaps you may be of some help!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/wordhunt/

When I was browsing though the BBC website I came accross this information about the origins of some UK surnames which may also be of some interest!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/surnames_01.shtml
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

Yeah, naff surprised me too. I liked this program, but I'd liked to have some them do more phrases. And the woman who covered the word "pig" was really strange. That poor little piggy...
  3. plaid New Member

wait wait... what does the word 'naff' actually mean?

:: reminisces a bit about cool english slang.... ::
  4. Cynical_Youth New Member

"Naff" apparently means "Not Available For F***ing."

I'm not entirely sure of the connotations it has now, I don't hear it used that much.
  5. peapod_j New Member

i think the program was realy intresting but the people on the panal are realy crule and i can not beleve some of the words they would not change. and gay in old english means happy as well as homersexual. :)
  6. Delphine New Member

'Gay' meaning 'happy' isn't [i:284f8ec9b0]that[/i:284f8ec9b0] old. See the Famous Five books. Everyone cheerful was gay, everything odd was queer, and everyone else drank lashings of ginger beer. :)

Look at that. It rhymes as well.