Barely legal

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Got my passport back today, and it's got a new Leave to Remain sticker in it. Next to a truely awful picture of me is that magical line:

"Valid until: Indefinate"

So, now I shall go around the house singing Sting's 'Englishman in New York' until grace either joins in, or throws a shoe at me.
  2. Bradthewonderllama New Member

3. Hex New Member

Lucky bastard. *Shakes fist in jealousy*

But seriously, congratulations on an indefinite value!
  4. plaid New Member

i'm jealous too.

:: cries bitterly ::
  5. jaccairn New Member

Congratulations :D
  6. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I thought this would be about that thi......oh, never mind.

I have a sticker like that too, but it's invalid now as I have been out of the UK for more than 2 years. Stupid time limits.
  7. Marcia Executive Onion

8. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:7ff1e81b03="OmKranti"]I thought this would be about that thi......oh, never mind.

[/quote:7ff1e81b03]I thought that too, there was a programme on TV about it last night. :)
  9. Hsing Moderator

:D

Congratulations, Cosmopolitan!
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:c7e280e08b="Maljonic"][quote:c7e280e08b="OmKranti"]I thought this would be about that thi......oh, never mind.

[/quote:c7e280e08b]I thought that too, there was a programme on TV about it last night. :)[/quote:c7e280e08b]

Huzzah!! I'm not the only one with an overly dirty mind.
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i don't wanna know
  12. spiky Bar Wench

*hands Grace a shoe*

(I hate that song)

Congrats anyway though.
  13. mowgli New Member

14. Katcal I Aten't French !

**starts collecting shoes**

That song is evil. Congrats on sticker though...
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Actually, I joined in. Also, the passport sticker spells 'indefinite' correctly, in case you were wondering.
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:d4595b8ef0="Buzzfloyd"]Actually, I joined in. Also, the passport sticker spells 'indefinite' correctly, in case you were wondering.[/quote:d4595b8ef0]
    Isn't that just American Spelling ?
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Isn't which American spelling?

Indefinite is correct. Indefinate is incorrect. Garner is dyslexic and has to live with me. But don't feel sorry for him, it's his karmic reward for earlier wrongdoings.
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well at work we have to write in American English, thus increasing the number of z's per page exponentially. And it's tough for a brit, even more so to a frenchie-sised one... -sized... see ! So I often wonder if some things that just look plain wrong to me aren't just American English... but in this case, it seems not...
  19. sampanna New Member

[quote:def0daeddf="Buzzfloyd"]Actually, I joined in. Also, the passport sticker spells 'indefinite' correctly, in case you were wondering.[/quote:def0daeddf]

I actually was :(
    Also, congrats! :)
  20. redneck New Member

The Zs were put in by our friend Webster. He was in the process of changing everything to phonetic spelling. Therefore if it sounded as a z then he would spell it that way in his dictionary. There were many other words that he changed as well. I try to write in a UK English way so that it will be easier for others on the board to read without thinking, "Is that spelled correctly?"
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

according to some, webster was also trying ot foster an 'american' version of the language
  22. Ba Lord of the Pies

No question about it. Webster was big on America and Apple Pie, and meant for his spelling reforms to help the cause of American intellectualism.
  23. spiky Bar Wench

All he did was aid the most annoying aspect of Microsoft - the battle with the Word dictionary and its default English (US) setting.
  24. roisindubh211 New Member

You know what's worse? When I got my laptop, we tried to change the spellcheck thing to British English, since I'd be going to Trinity.

It now considers both British AND American English to be correct, so I keep writing papers half in each.

And I have become so confused that I can no longer spell. At all.
  25. Garner Great God and Founding Father

you know, that may well be my favorite 8-bit quote of all time.