Boardanian World Cup Team

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Electric_Man Templar

Whilst watching the World Cup, I've come across a few names that have seemed to be very Boardanian nature and have attempted to come up with a team. It's harder than you'd think! I've had to resort to a couple of real names to complete it, but it has come out faily well, I think. Though the formation is a bit attacking...

[u:32b706d711]Goalkeepers:[/u:32b706d711]
    Joao Mamona Lama (Angola)

[u:32b706d711]Defenders:[/u:32b706d711]
    Cristiano Cris (Brazil)
    Jacek Bak (Poland)

[u:32b706d711]Midfielders:[/u:32b706d711]
    Juan Roman Riqulme (Argentina)
    Gerardo Torrado (Mexico)
    Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan)
    Vince Grella (Australia)
    Florent Malouda (France)

[u:32b706d711]Attackers:[/u:32b706d711]
    Chaves Fred (Brazil)
    Luca Toni (Italy)
    Johan Elmander (Sweden)

[u:32b706d711]Special Mentions:[/u:32b706d711] (Not really board related, but funny anyway)
    Ho Lee (South Korea)
    Arsenio Love (Angola)
    Eddie Pope (USA)

Anyone came across any of their own? Anybody else struck by World Cup fever or is it just not that big a deal for you?
  2. Delphine New Member

Ben says:
    heheh: Ho Lee
    Ella says:
    lol, superb!
    Ella says:
    if only she still posted
    Ben says:
    who?
    Ella says:
    holly
    Ben says:
    oh yeah...
    Ella says:
    lol

I would just like to point out the fact Ben is a snail.

As for world cup fever, i'm not interested in it. the commentators bore me, some of the players irritate me, and the amount of money invested in it disgusts me.

But, i think football itself is a good sport. :)
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Sorry ? World cup of what exactly ?
  4. Ba Lord of the Pies

That soccer game Ben is so keen on.
  5. Electric_Man Templar

Actually, I could probably have made a team of people with 'Ba' in their name, I just thought Jacek Bak was closest on two fronts.
  6. Perdita New Member

My little Brother is now in Dortmund in Germany at the moment (or so his most recent text message says!

I think him and his friends are having a great time!!!

Other than that I'm not really interested in the World Cup!

N
  7. Electric_Man Templar

Watching Poland v Germany at the moment, I've realised that Jacek Bak's surname is pronounced 'Bonk'.
  8. Pixel New Member

As I commented to the guy who kept jumping up from the table at our friend's birthday do to check the score on the television - the only time I would be able to raise any interest in the World Cup would be if the final turned out to be Easter Island* playing The Falklands!

*OK - Rapa Nui, which is how they like it to be called.

Edited to add footnote
  9. Mynona Member

This sentence gets extra funny if you consider 'bak' to mean behind (as in a butt) in swedish, Behind was closest on both fronts...

[that was me trying to be funny for today]
  10. spiky Bar Wench

Ha ha. Just thought I'd make you feel better about being funny.

Its good I have a player but its bad that he's Italian... bunch of poofters
  11. Electric_Man Templar

12. Hsing Moderator

I haven't heard of this... Not that that means anything.

Ah yes, the FIFA...
    They have also sued a variety of small business companies for using expressions like "World Cup Bread" etc to boost sales of all kinds of stuff. The courts rejected many of those sues.
    I could imagine this wasn't quite legal, either. I mean, have people wearing non-adidas-shoes or whatever also been rejected entry? Every one of us carries a few protected labels around, if we are honest. Just look at your shoes, or your handbag, or any bigger item.

Also, all the media are forced to write "FIFA Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft" ("FIFA Football Worldcup") instead of "FIFA Fußball-Weltmeisterschaft", which would be the normal German spelling. (The FIFA is from Switzerland, and they say its "Fussball" and dictate everyone does it their way. After the 2006 worldcup, we still may return to our own ortography.)
    This may be a tiny, little detail, but just imagine some international gremium forcing the media to call it "soccer" all the time when the World Cup is taking place in the UK.

Edit: took out a few surplus words.
  13. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:3c1af36522="Hsing"]I mean, have people wearing non-adidas-shoes or whatever also been rejected entry? Every one of us carries a few protected labels around, if we are honest. Just look at your shoes, or your handbag, or any bigger item.[/quote:3c1af36522]

[quote:3c1af36522]Fifa said an attempt at an "ambush" publicity campaign was not allowed.[/quote:3c1af36522]

So the difference in this case was that as they saw so many advertising the same thing, they took it as some kind of advertising campaign.

[quote:3c1af36522="Hsing"]Also, all the media are forced to write "FIFA Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft" ("FIFA Football Worldcup") instead of "FIFA Fußball-Weltmeisterschaft", which would be the normal German spelling.[/quote:3c1af36522]

When I was doing my German A-Level, I was told that (at the time) the 'ß' character was being officially removed from the German language, to be replaced by 'ss'. Although at the time, we were told just to use the 'ß' as we had learnt it that way and the changes hadn't been made yet anyway. I guess the reasoning was that most of the rest of the world would be confused seeing that character. I presumed that was why they had 'Fussball'

I can picture the english mangled-german after seeing 'Fußball' for the first time: "Wo ist die Fubball stadion, bitter?" (add english 'w' on pronounciation for added extra effect)
  14. Hsing Moderator

:D That's a point.
    The "ß" has been removed in some cases, but not in all.
    A short vowel is, by now, more likely to be followed by an "ss", while the "ß" is a little softer and follows long vowels.
  15. KaptenKaries New Member

And I always thought the ß was introduced to get rid of the embarrassing ss after the second world war.
  16. Hsing Moderator

*le gasp*
    No, no, the ss is only embarrassing when presented in rune-style.
    But seriously, the ß has long been part of the -varying- ortographies of German. Its a contraction of "s" and "z", sz, and it explains itself a little better when you take a look at the old German handwritings, which differed from the other European styles for a few hundred years. (That makes 300 year old English documents easier for me to read than 300 year old German documents.)

End of hijack.
  17. KaptenKaries New Member

Ah, I see. Wiki had some good information, too. As usual.

Back to the cup, I'm very much exited about Sweden playing England tomorrow.
  18. Hsing Moderator

Hm... I guess I better place no bets.
    The match tomorrow will decide wether they make it into the next round or go home, right?
  19. KaptenKaries New Member

As long as Trinidad - Tobago doesn't win over Paraguay, Sweden's cleared for the next round.