Boardonwealth Games: Long Thread Diversion

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Electric_Man Templar

Another one to get your creative juices flowing

This has, possibly, the best premise of them all:

[size=14:311eb7ddc7][b:311eb7ddc7]Be random[/b:311eb7ddc7][/size:311eb7ddc7]

I am going to generate a topic by using http://www.uroulette.com/ and you have to twist the topic -using reasonablish logic - onto some other theme.

There will then be a poll to vote for your favourite.

So, the topic is:

Basketball

edit: poll stuff
  2. spiky Bar Wench

Just basketball eh? I used to play it but you know you wouldn't want us to talk about something more interesting like you know...say, mermaid spear fishing? Now theres a sport with real action for all the family, theres good honest exercise for mum, chicks in bikinis for dad and blood, guts, gore and dead mermaids for the kids, perfect.

So while basketball is all very well and good, the fact that its non-contact means that it can never be as good as mermaid spear fishing... next Boardonwealth games will see its introduction to the international arenas of sports, I'm excited!
  3. aegron New Member

I remember going mermaid spear fishing. It was the day before my house was painted. The painter did a horrible job, painting the ceiling lime instead op muave and the walls came out vomit-coloured. Not a pretty sight indeed!
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Basketball is responsible for some crappy films I must say, like Space Jam. In fact, there are a wide range of crappy sport-related films out there, I've seen a 4 hour-long indian film on cricket, I've seen that awful film with Kevin Costner about baseball twice, on a ferry trip from Cherbourg to Poole and back (same movie both ways, pfff) in fact I think the only sport-related film I have ever seen and liked was "bend it like beckham" which was great, funny, sweet and had fun bits about the indian community in britain.

I love indian cooking, I only wish I could make my own cheese naan bread, because I could just live off that stuff, but you can't unless you have your own tandoor, and they don't have them in french council flats, and that just sucks. We have tried several recipes, and even asked our local indian restauranteer for advice. He said "give up, you can't do it without a tandoor oven" so we gave up and ordered more from his restaurant. I'm starting to wonder if there wasn't some hidden agenda, there...
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

Kat, that was seamless until the jump from the Indian community to Indian cooking.
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

You mean there's something more to the indian community than naan bread and curry ??? :shock:

I'm sorry, I forgot to add that the best bit is when the heroine (girl hero, not drug) gets told off by her mum because she can't even make proper poppadums, and therefore will never find a decent husband.
  7. Tephlon Active Member

I've never used drugs, although I did try hashish 3 times.
    I went all "duh" once, but the other two times it didn't do anything, at least not anthing i can remember.

This might be because it worked very well, but then I just don't see the point... :)
  8. Victimov8 New Member

Well, I have to admit that I hated Basketball, partly because it was forced upon me by school PE teachers, who are a fairly annoying bunch at the best of times. Being about 14, short for my age and totally unco-ordinated didn't really help matters a great deal.

Now for those few people who have met me, part of the previous statement may seem a little odd. Believe it or not though, I was the shortest in my family until I got to 17 - My sibling was 6 inches taller than me (about 15cm for the decimal out there.)
    This is not so bad you may think, but my sibling is female, which was a little embarassing.

It could be worse still though, she married a guy 4 inches shorter, (about 10cm) and then at the wedding wore high heels - I think that's just plain evil!

Bugger - that brings me full circle back to PE teachers... :D
  9. TheJackal Member

I like most sports, but not basketball. Basketball is a dull sport. They run around a small court, shoot, score or miss. Then the other team has a go. It just goes on and on like that & the bastards get paid millions for it in the NBA!

Another thing that never excited me were Tulips. Now, I know what you're thinking: Tulips are flowers; and flowers, for the most part, aren't axactly the most excitng thins in the world.

But back in the 17th century they ruined the whole Dutch stock exchange. How? Well, you'll just have to read this article

Interesting wasn't it? $76,000 for a single tulip bulb- 'twas madness I tell you.
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Basket ball - invented by James Naismith
    James Naismith - sounds like Mike Nesmith
    Mike Nesmith - last original Monkee to rejoin the band
    Monkey, Bonobo - closest genetic relative to humans, randy little buggers
    Randy buggery - Debbie Does Dallas on sale at Music Zone for five pounds
    Dallas - a metropolis in Texas
    Texas, Crawford - where Bush spends most of his time, avoiding being the president
    Bush, avoiding responsibilities - at University, the jocks and athletes would pick their classes based on which ones Bush had elected to take, since they were acknowledged to be the easiest
    Jocks and Athelets - play sports
    Basketball - A sport invented by James Naismith
    James Naismith - sounds like Mike Nesmith
    Mike Nesmith - a Monkee
    The Monkees - Hey Hey We're the Monkees
    Hey Hey - Krusty the Clown
    Krusty the Clown - Modled after TV show clown, Rusty Nails
    TV show clowns - Ronald McDonald, Bozzo the Clown
    Bozzo - derogatory insult
    Derogatory Insult - Sheepshagger
    Sheepshagger - Doors
    Doors - boss of Rincewind
    Rincewind - face like a monkey
    Monkee - Mike Nesmith
    Mike Nesmith - sounds like James Naismith
    James Naismith - invented Basketball.
  11. spiky Bar Wench

I don't get this... I think everyone's got a different interpretation of whats supposed to be going on... Are we all supposed to start talking about basketball and then end up somewhere else? Or are we supposed to start with the last persons topic and then twist that further? Personally I like the second option cos basketball is boring.

spiky's synopsis of basketball: basketball is played by men to wussy to be tackled in a decent sport, so they choose something wanky, basketball, where they get to dribble and dunk and no one can touch them for it. Poofters.

So if thats where I'm supposed to start what am I supposed to talk about now... do I follow the lead of garner who went around the world, managed to mention Mike Nesmith but completely failed to mention that Mike Nesmith's mum invented liquid paper, which in my opinion is a totally key fact.

Has anyone tried sniffing liquid paper, yes I know its like sniffing petrol or glue, but the stuff stinks and if your not careful you get a white rim around your nostril. There a groups of teenage boys who after raiding the stationery cupboard get sprung because of a white ring. So I guess the moral to the story is don't get a white ring, its so not cool.

Hang on what was I supposed to be talking about...?

Edit: to spell Nesmith right
  12. Maljonic Administrator

It's twelve. Have I just done a Rincewind?

P.S. I've never actually seen a Discworld play before, it might be worth considering a trip to Lincolnshire.
  13. Electric_Man Templar

So all this talk about Basketball is fun, I'm going to close entrants now and start a poll for you to choose your favourite, hopefully this time I won't forget anyone. There'll be another 24 hour limit for votes.

It is quite outstanding how much you people talk about Basketball, my head has nearly exploded with "NBA this", "Dennis Rodman that" and "Chicago Bulls whatever".

Which is all well and good, but why did they have to bring Bulls into this? The poor mammals, permanently with more horn than an Alpine folk band. They don't even have the added benefit of living in Switzerland, with it's glorious scenery, numerous lakes, many different cheeses and neutrality.

Filthy neutrals. "If I die, tell my wife: 'Hello'.", whilst this is very amusing in the context of a Futurama episode, it's hardly fitting last words - none of the intrigue of "Rosebud" by Citizen Kane or the drama of "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" by Richard III - who should remove the last letter of his name, then when you say it you sound like a pirate. Richard Aye Aye [size=7:68c2af4ed2]captain[/size:68c2af4ed2]

YAAAAAAR!
  14. Cynical_Youth New Member

A late entry:

Basketball is a nice word. It just rolls off the tongue. This is due to the easy alliteration in the word. Although some may find it distracting, alliteration, when not overused, can have a practical unifying effect. In some cases, it can even replace rhyme. The Anglo-Saxon Verse of the pre-Norman Conquest Middle Ages, for instance, is alliterative poetry that uses practically no rhyme at all. Beowulf is written in this style. The translation by Seamus Heaney shows this particularly well. He has upheld the tradition of viewing Beowulf on its poetic merit started by Tolkien's essay "Beowulf: The Monsters and The Critics" adequately. This poignant piece had a profound effect on the world of academia. I found it as engaging as his masterpiece "Lord of the Rings," although the average fantasy reader might disagree with me. It is, after all, an academic essay and the language can be perceived as fairly obfuscatory in some instances. That, however, is a general problem. Is the "elegant variation" ideology that seems to prevail among academics really that necessary? Clarity should be much more important than aesthetics. Are academic guidelines not just another form of elitism?
  15. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:e0eacc72eb="Cynical_Youth"]A late entry:

Basketball is a nice word. It just rolls off the tongue. This is due to the easy alliteration in the word. Although some may find it distracting, alliteration, when not overused, can have a practical unifying effect. In some cases, it can even replace rhyme. The Anglo-Saxon Verse of the pre-Norman Conquest Middle Ages, for instance, is alliterative poetry that uses practically no rhyme at all. Beowulf is written in this style. The translation by Seamus Heaney shows this particularly well. He has upheld the tradition of viewing Beowulf on its poetic merit started by Tolkien's essay "Beowulf: The Monsters and The Critics" adequately. This poignant piece had a profound effect on the world of academia. I found it as engaging as his masterpiece "Lord of the Rings," although the average fantasy reader might disagree with me. It is, after all, an academic essay and the language can be perceived as fairly obfuscatory in some instances. That, however, is a general problem. Is the "elegant variation" ideology that seems to prevail among academics really that necessary? Clarity should be much more important than aesthetics. Are academic guidelines not just another form of elitism?[/quote:e0eacc72eb]

Unfortunately I shall have to disqualify this, not really for lateness, but because polls have a limit of ten options and you are the eleventh contestant...
  16. Electric_Man Templar

Fine, after much dutch pesterlence, I have decided to take out KK as he just commented on a post rather than made an entry and replaced him with CY.

If you have any complaints, kill CY, then I'll review it.
  17. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:8d3b832fa5="Electric_Man"]Fine, after much dutch pesterlence, I have decided to take out KK as he just commented on a post rather than made an entry and replaced him with CY.

If you have any complaints, kill CY, then I'll review it.[/quote:8d3b832fa5]

Yes, my post was never meant as an entry but as a comment on Kat's contribution. Good luck, Delayed Dutchman! :)

Edit: my vote goes, for obvious reasons, to Ben. Yarrrgh!
  18. Electric_Man Templar

Not long left on the poll and it's very neck and neck...
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

more precisely, it's neck and neck and neck...

just hope there are no vampires out there...
  20. Electric_Man Templar

So [size=18:b6ccf5ef43]Cynical Youth[/size:b6ccf5ef43] brings home another gold.

But who gets Silver and Bronze? In the absence of votes deciding - random chance will in the form of a six-sided (board) dice.

If a 1 is rolled, Katcal gets silver and Victimov8 bronze.
    If a 2 is rolled, Victimov8 gets silver and Electric_Man bronze.
    If a 3 is rolled, Electric_Man gets silver and Katcal bronze.
    If a 4 is rolled, Katcal gets silver and Electric_Man bronze.
    If a 5 is rolled, Victimov8 gets silver and Katcal bronze.
    If a 6 is rolled, Electric_Man gets silver and Victimov8 bronze.

[dice:b6ccf5ef43]d6 = 6215984 [/dice:b6ccf5ef43]
  21. Electric_Man Templar

The die has spoken:

[b:a82b37a7bb]Electric_Man[/b:a82b37a7bb] gets Silver and
    [b:a82b37a7bb]Victimov8[/b:a82b37a7bb] gets Bronze!
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Damn those poppadums.

Congratulations ye all... Now come on and get your tripods in !!
  23. Victimov8 New Member

Wow - My first vMedal. The fates have smiled upon me this day

Now waiting for the other shoe to fall...
  24. Cynical_Youth New Member

Yay! Something shiny and gold to cherish after Ba stole the other one.

Also, great new avatar, Katcal.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

Thanks CY. Bunny is a show-off, and he likes medals. :D
  26. aegron New Member

Go The Netherlands! "waves a Dutch flag around" ;)
  27. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:fd9c23b642="Katcal"]Thanks CY. Bunny is a show-off, and he likes medals. :D[/quote:fd9c23b642]

Your new avatar rocks, Kat! Medals are almost as good as parrots and feathered hats. I can see how happy Bunny are.