Boardonwealth Games

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Electric_Man Templar

Following the success of the Boardlympic Games in the summer of 2004, I'm finally proposing that we do a new one after being prompted by the Commonwealth Games which starts tomorrow.

For those of you that weren't around for the last one, the basic premise is that we divide into countries as befitted by the Holy Tripod - the countries of Ba, Doors, Garner and Atheists/Agnostics, then compete in events for which medals are awarded.

As a rough guide, the following events were in the last one and I'm considering for this one. Full rules will follow if and when the events start:

[b:d30cb96899]The Flame:[/b:d30cb96899] Best flame wins
    [b:d30cb96899]Discus:[/b:d30cb96899] Guess a number between 1 and 100, closest person to the randomly generated number without going over wins.
    [b:d30cb96899]Syllabic Sentences:[/b:d30cb96899] Write a sentence where the syllables of the word slowly increase then decrease, or vice-versa. Best one wins.
    [b:d30cb96899]Newbie Intro:[/b:d30cb96899] Fastest person to respond wins.
    [b:d30cb96899]Mis-spellathon:[/b:d30cb96899] Write a sentence mis-spelling as many words as possible whilst still making sense once transcribed.
    [b:d30cb96899]Long-Thread Diversion:[/b:d30cb96899] Take a topic, twist it to something completely different. Randomest wins.
    [b:d30cb96899]Sailing:[/b:d30cb96899] Start with a sentence, change one word. Person to make the 100th reply wins.
    [b:d30cb96899]Equestripod:[/b:d30cb96899] Draw a tripod: best one wins
    [b:d30cb96899]Tripodathlon:[/b:d30cb96899] A combination of three seperate events where points are awarded - highest point scorer wins.

So who would be willing to participate and do you have any ideas for new events?
  2. Electric_Man Templar

Oh, and if you wish to have a look at how the games went last time, go to the old site and search in 'Subject Only' for "Boardlympics" on the Discworld Novels Forums
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oooooh, fun, I'm in !!! :D

Edited to add a suggestion : Fastest to get killed in a Werewolf game ? :D
  4. Cynical_Youth New Member

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a try.

Wasn't there a language event thing on the old boards as well where you had to guess the meaning of words from a wide range of European languages?

Edit: found it: The Cunning Linguist Game
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

**jumping up and down waving a hand** ooh oooh ooooh could we have real medals tooo ? Like under our screenname, I've seen them on other boards, that could be fun, couldn't it ?

Oh, and how about a special "daftest possible suggestion just to annoy Mal and Garner" competition ? :D
  6. Angua_rox New Member

[quote:5d9ede6f82="Katcal"]**jumping up and down waving a hand** [/quote:5d9ede6f82]
    ooh ooh ooh i want to jump up and down and wave my hand! **jumping up and down waving a hand** i think that that would rock, I like the medal idea especially! :lol:
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:2a2d660c75="Angua_rox"][quote:2a2d660c75="Katcal"]**jumping up and down waving a hand** [/quote:2a2d660c75]
    ooh ooh ooh i want to jump up and down and wave my hand! **jumping up and down waving a hand** [b:2a2d660c75]i tink dat dat would rock[/b:2a2d660c75], I like the medal idea especially! :lol:[/quote:2a2d660c75]

How about a troll imitation game too ? (as in a diskworld troll, not a board troll... although they could both be fun as long as we were only pretending...)
  8. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:a177aab655="Cynical_Youth"]Sounds like fun, I'll give it a try.

Wasn't there a language event thing on the old boards as well where you had to guess the meaning of words from a wide range of European languages?

Edit: found it: The Cunning Linguist Game[/quote:a177aab655]

Oh yes, I sorta forgot about that one... mainly because I wouldn't be able to make up the questions myself... any volunteers? Preferably somone who knows some really obscure languages to stump a few people.
  9. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:5b87922ecb="Katcal"]How about a troll imitation game too ? (as in a diskworld troll, not a board troll... although they could both be fun as long as we were only pretending...)[/quote:5b87922ecb]

Hmm, could you expand on how that would work in a competition format?

As for medals, well you'd have to check with Mal as to whether it would be feasible or not - although I think that given the short timescale of the tournament (a couple of weeks, max), it would be a bit too much work for little reward. I think it would be a bit silly a few months down the line if they were still displayed.
  10. Hermia New Member

Sounds fun! I'm in!

I reckon I could find enough English words that no-one knows the meaning of to do a Cunning Linguist game! We have the obscurest language!
  11. lipi New Member

I'm quite willing to contribute a few obscure words :)

Edited to add:

How about a game with 'english' made up words, the best explanation wins?
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:91f807468a="Electric_Man"][quote:91f807468a="Katcal"]How about a troll imitation game too ? (as in a diskworld troll, not a board troll... although they could both be fun as long as we were only pretending...)[/quote:91f807468a]

Hmm, could you expand on how that would work in a competition format?

As for medals, well you'd have to check with Mal as to whether it would be feasible or not - although I think that given the short timescale of the tournament (a couple of weeks, max), it would be a bit too much work for little reward. I think it would be a bit silly a few months down the line if they were still displayed.[/quote:91f807468a]

Well, Diskworld version I'm not too sure about, as trolls don't do long sentences, it makes their brains go all sedimentary (my dear watson). Maybe a conversation between one person per team, for as long as possible in troll speak, whoever spells something right is eliminated untill we have a winner ?

[quote:91f807468a]ex:
    - hullo, I'm uh troll.
    - Huh, you stoopid, dah troll's me !
    - Your muvvah wuz a troll !
    - Huh, your mother was a weasel !
    ==> Rinso wins, ans the other troll spelled "mother" right... :D[/quote:91f807468a]

But this could be sticky to judge... You would have to rule out short words like "a" or somethiing... :?

Board trolling could be kind of the opposite of the flame competition, an set length sentence to be written as a troll, with as much stupidity, spelling mistakes and hateful language as possible in a small space. A shortlist of words to be included could be fun too...

[quote:91f807468a]ex: Write a 40 word essay of trollness, including the words Rinso, beard, weasel and pie. All punctuation banned, excepting multiple exclamation marks.[/quote:91f807468a]
  13. Maljonic Administrator

I bet some people could partake in some of the events suggested without even realise they were doing it.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

:cooler: Yep, I bet.
  15. spiky Bar Wench

I'm in. AS the barmaid of the church of Doors I will do my best for my religion, especially if it involves alcohol...

Is there anyway of setting up an online drinking game?*

*I've been working hard and drinking is weighing heavily on my mind
  16. Angua_rox New Member

I too wil contribute obscure words, ie hippopotomonstrosequipedalianist (a real word), aglets, etc, I can go on for ages!

And I think that Katcal should take pride in a loveley little medal, with "The Turtle Moves" or "I check every day" or something on it, it'd rock! :lol:
  17. Electric_Man Templar

[size=18:b4495f2df5]Notice for Equestripod Competition[/size:b4495f2df5]

aka the 'draw a tripod' competition.

It would be wise for any competitors to start preparing/drawing now. Entries will need to be in by the [b:b4495f2df5]24th March[/b:b4495f2df5], then polling will begin. All comics should be feature at least one tripod character, although artwork need not be the same. Submit your entries by either PMing me a link to whereever you have hosted it, or if you are not able to host it, e-mail it to me and I will host it myself (may be best to send me a PM to alert me to the fact I need to check my inbox/junk box - depending where my filter sends it). This contest is open to all, even Doors.

Happy drawing :)
  18. Orrdos God

No, I'm not going to enter. If I lose, then i'd never live it down!
  19. Ba Lord of the Pies

Doors can't live down being Doors. What's a little more humiliation going to do?
  20. Angua_rox New Member

I realise this is going to make me sound a bit stupid, but W.o.t.D. (What on the Discworld) is a tripod???
  21. Electric_Man Templar

Look down a few threads
  22. Angua_rox New Member

Ah. apologies for not trying this first. Thank you! :)
  23. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:f41c879e27="Electric_Man"][size=18:f41c879e27]Notice for Equestripod Competition[/size:f41c879e27]

aka the 'draw a tripod' competition.

It would be wise for any competitors to start preparing/drawing now. Entries will need to be in by the [b:f41c879e27]24th March[/b:f41c879e27], then polling will begin. All comics should be feature at least one tripod character, although artwork need not be the same. Submit your entries by either PMing me a link to whereever you have hosted it, or if you are not able to host it, e-mail it to me and I will host it myself (may be best to send me a PM to alert me to the fact I need to check my inbox/junk box - depending where my filter sends it). This contest is open to all, even Doors.

Happy drawing :)[/quote:f41c879e27]

Just had the first entry, it's good, let's see more!
  24. Orrdos God

Ok, i changed my mind.

I've drawn an entry for it now
  25. Hsing Moderator

[quote:66779c9454="Electric_Man"]

Just had the first entry, it's good, let's see more![/quote:66779c9454]

Erm, if this goes until August or something, I might enter one, too. But only then.
  26. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The one I drew a while ago and gave to doors can be my entry, if doors would be so kind to forward it to ben. It's a bitty rubbish, but better than a kick in the head by an angry mule.
  27. Electric_Man Templar

4 entries now, Katcal, Doors, Rinso and Spiky
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay, some decent competition at last !!! (meaning Spiky :D )
  29. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:3a89c3556a="Katcal"]Yay, some decent competition at last !!! (meaning Spiky :D )[/quote:3a89c3556a]

*Runs around jumping like a goose, shakes clenched fist in the air and yells: "C'mon"*
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

**watches spiky from a distance in case she has bird-flu symptoms**
  31. Delphine New Member

I have a scrawled entry for this as well. Ben, get on msn you loser.
  32. Electric_Man Templar

I would, but it (e-msn) is crap.