Book of Job, redux

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Okay, it's official: I hate my job.

I'm not the only one here who hates their job, I know. So what we're going to do is we're going to workshop ourselves into something better.

Now, to start with we need to recognize our limitations. Chiefly, our qualifications. If you A) know you need to finish school or sit an exam or what have you in order to be qualified for the job you want and B) are in a position where you are actually capable of doing so, then this isn't for you. What you need to do is go finish your school or certificate or what ever.

For the rest of us, we can't afford to go back to school because our loathsome jobs don't pay enough to allow it, or other significant obstacles bar the way.

So, for me, that rules out teaching as a job. Not qualified, can't afford to get qualified, and i'm unaware of any qualification programs that would pay me to get qualified... or at least not any that I'm qualified to enter into.

So, hands up: Who hates their job and wants to take that first step on the road to collective, collaborative [-]failure[/-] success!
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

I don't exactly hate what I do for a job, I just seem to end up working for dick-heads at the moment, it's not the job I hate but the people employing me, I have more or less the right qualifications for the job and I enjoy the activity in itself, that's not my current problem.

However (before I get stabbed by an enraged Garner) this was the case for Reg not that long ago, he was stacking shelves in a supermarket and had been for years, after beginning his careers in a fast-food restaurant flipping burgers. And he's a real geek, he loves computers, can spend hours on end repairing things, he's a great teacher, patient and good at explaining. But he had no qualifications, and in France, no diplomas means no job.
    At one point, due to an unfortunate chain of events, he wound up unemployed (and this, for the Reg, is not a natural condition, he can't stand not to work) and through the unemployment agency he found out about adult education courses. He applied 3 times (at 6 month intervals) to get into one of the sessions, while working for temp agencies, and once he got a place in one course, he was of course accepted in the other 2 he had applied for, so he had to pick one. Typical. Anyway, the course went well, and now he's working for a hotline-helpdesk thingy, and has been offered other similar jobs, and he's having fun.

So I probably won't have anything totally practical to say about how to acheive this in England, because I don't know the technicalities of the thing, but I know that in France there are several ways of accessing adult education courses and improving your qualifications.

Have you thought of correspondance courses ? Try asking your local job center, university, or other organisations that may be of help...
  3. TamyraMcG Active Member

I hate my job part of each and every day but I also like it part of the time. I have a vague feeling I could and should be doing other things with my life most of the time but as those things are probably artistic things I really have no excuse for not doing them in my off work time. I just need to quit being such a lump and listen to my inspirations more.

If I could do just what I wanted to do and could still feed clothe and shelter myself, that would be fun, but I have sort of enjoyed being able to do those things for myself, it is funny how much you can put up with to do that.
  4. Rewr New Member

I kinda like my job, its just the internal politics, lack of morale, each department working to there own set of rules, liars, lack of staff, lack of support etc that makes it hell. Also the PTBs wanting to change our conditions of service etc that puts a big dampner on things.

Saying that I could go further, do more, get more qualifications etc. But hell I don't get paid for the responsibility I already have, why should I take on more, without guarantee of pay reflecting said responsibility

The office I work in is not too bad. The bosses are quite easy going. As long as the work gets done.

Today was a right shity one, discovered a few sheets not processed correctly for whatever reason, in my section.

Although I know who has done/not done the stuff I cannot say anything as we are so short staffed that you accept whatever help you get.

Any hoo spent the day chasing the cows tail, fielding phone calls - 'yes we've had a technical hitch (ooo, pot calling kettle black (its a white lie, its allowed)), its all in hand blah blah'.

'Just get off the phone and let me sort it out. Why are you phoning me and not your co-ordinator - thats your first port of call?

Oh very nice - you'll know you'll get the right answer from us! D'you want to pass your co-ordinators pay on to us then'?

Half the organization is in the process of migrating from one system to another. Oh what fun - what we're hearing from other sections sounds fandabbydozzie. What email?

'No I didn't get that email. Let me double check. Hold on I've had to archive the lot.... No definitley not there. It was sent when? Ah, just after your section was migrated...'

Wasted a good part of the day looking for backup that one considerate soul failed to pass on to me. Had to involve both my line manager and hers!

Hands itching to slap someone. WASTE MY TIME WILL YOU!

Tomorrow will be better - not. My colleague who's jobshare, will come in to find we are behind schedule. I will sent to coventry for the day at least. Unless she comes out of her sulk sooner than expected.

Ah well I can bitch with the best of them.

Sorry for the rant. Basically I like the work. I know what I'm doing (er most of the time I think). I'm comfortable.

But know where you're coming from G. One place I worked was totally hellish. I was lucky in some respects - I had been signed off unfit to work for quite a while, so resigned, as I would still receive incapacitly benefit. Gave me a chance to look for something else that I could do. Even took up Avon for a while to keep me in cigs.

I think there is a scheme where you can get £250. yes £250. towards a learn direct course.

Don't know what you do for a living, but does your organization provide training/courses that could help you in your current position (a wee step in the right direction at employers expense), or would you be looking for a total career change?

Any way thinking positively for you..

R
  5. spiky Bar Wench

Garner have you approached your employer about them supporting you studying in some way? Some organisations give time off or will pay for the fees if you pass subjects because they actually value well trained staff...

Just a thought anyway...
  6. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I like my job quite a lot. I'm about to find out if budget cuts will render me jobless this christmas. If i'm lucky enough to be kept on, half my friends will be gone and i'll have to do twice the work (for the same pay)

The job before this geninuely loved with a passion. Then it got axed.

The moral of this story is the more love life the more it fucks you.

Tomorrow I will tell you the moral of "why you should never make love to a hibernating bear"

ps:My flatemate is studing via the Open University. It's certainly cheaper than other study and probably has lones/grats. Although i'm not sure how hard they would be for you to get being a dirty foriegner.
  7. Sunna New Member

Well,I don't like being hit in my workplace,or being called fat,or screamed at,or blamed for pains in backs,stomachs,eyes and other general ill feeling.Or having feces in my hands(with gloves on) or almost being pissed on,literally.
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

That might actually be an option in my case, but I don't think I want to be a social worker for a career.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

If you hadn't said in another thread that you were a nurse, I would have been seriously worried by this. And wondering why you were working for my father-in-law.
  10. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Well, at least there is good money in golden showers.
  11. Rewr New Member

Do you work for local government? If so are there not some inhouse courses that you may be able to go on?

(Time away from the desk. Then again if some of your colleagues are like mine, you come back to a pile of crap cos they cant be arsed to answer the simplist of questions on your behalf!)

Also if you are a member of a union they offer courses that are available to members. Look for Individual Training Account, and Lifelong Learning. Even check out the Learn Direct site to see if it can offer any ideas.

I'll see if I can think of anything else. I wouldn't hold your breath as my last brain cell fried itself at aprox 11.33 this morning, shortly followed by the crossing of eyes.
  12. spiky Bar Wench

Fair enough but is there some ancillary function that they could use instead? No organisation is entirely populated by social workers, as they become social workers because generally they are hopeless at managing their own life. never lone anyone elses or good lord an entire company... it just won't happen...

Have you tried a career in HR? They run a lot of training etc which could be a stepping stone for teaching etc.
  13. randywine Member

I love what I do - I just wish someone around here wanted me to do it! Going to Cambridge next week for an interview for a fairly good position but I really don't want to move again from Scotland but Cambridge is nice and there is plenty of rugby...

I decided that I hated what I did last decade so in 2001, when I was 30, I went to Uni and got a degree in Software Engineering - it's never too late but it did financially destroy us for a while...

Cheers,

R.
  14. Rewr New Member

Cambridge is a nice - lots of bikes though. Plenty of beautiful villages around. If your a cheese fan village of Stilton's not far.

Weather is warmer - plenty of barbecues in the summer!

Not far from the A1, easy to get to places.
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That's the trouble. Garner and I are already fairly close to the bottom of the financial scale, so if he wasn't working, we'd fall off. And benefits take several months to actually get processed, during which time you're free to neither eat nor live in a house.
  16. randywine Member

It's a nightmare - keep plugging away, keep fingers crossed and something will turn up I'm sure.

R.