Cool guy on drums

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

2. Hsing Moderator

Those aren't even drums, are they? (That only makes it cooler, of course.)
  3. inwig New Member

Hoo yeah! I like his beat kit.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Am I getting my boards crossed, or haven't we seen the video before here ? Meh whatever, he's still amazingly cool...
  5. Marcia Executive Onion

They are containers for plaster or something similar.

And sorry for being jaded, but he just seems like a typical New York City subway or street musician (or underground/street musician from another large city).
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I guess it depends on how you define a drum? They're usually just a hollow tube that's closed off at one end and, though it's usually the case, it's not always with a skin - or just on one side. Anyway, he's drumming on those plastic containers so I think they are his drums at least. :)

P.S. I saw some amazing drums on TV in France once, they were about 30 feet/10 metres high and these islanders had to be on top of a little cliff or hill to play them.
  7. Cynical_Youth New Member

Apparently, he is Tony Royster Jr., an otherwise pretty famous drummer who does this for fun. He's still an amazing musician, but that does take away from the mystique a bit. I liked the thought that you could randomly come across someone as talented as that.
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

the problem with that level of frenzied drum soloing (5 gallon buckets are no less a 'drum' than one's parents pots and pans when you're five years old...) is that losing the beat is simultaneously evidence of a fuck-up and the chance to do something different other than just keep a frenzied beat.

i dunno. i mean, i'd rather see micky hart or ginger baker doing their stuff, or hell, keith moon, but that guy definately seems to match those legends for sheer energy output.
  9. inwig New Member

Were those the drums that you can go see being played to placate the volcano gods in Japan. There is a team of players (I think it's a dozen or more) with various size drums.
  10. Maljonic Administrator

No, but they were similar to that.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

12. TamyraMcG Active Member

When I tried the first link now I get a video for 'the Manny" there is a beat but it isn't about a drummer, :)