Crazy Weather - from "global" to "local"

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Hsing Moderator

Another Mailing list discussion you might want to add your 2 cents to! I sure do.
    Though this time, it's more observational than controversial.
    So there's probably no surprising plot twist or enlightening result at the end. ;)

This [quote:441e79e2ad](...)[/quote:441e79e2ad] indicates I cut something -usually something irrelevant- out.

[b:441e79e2ad]Roman K.:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]So I'm sitting here in the train, and I'm sweating. There's not a
    cloud in the sky, it's far warmer than it should be in the winter, and
    the weather forecast for tomorrow includes a mild heatwave.

I am now afraid. Very, very afraid. This strange weather is no longer amusing.
    [/quote:441e79e2ad]

[b:441e79e2ad]Garner:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]where as the fog has only lifted enough to see the far edge of the parking lot (about 50 yards away, absolute max) in the past few minutes here.

a five mile wide barrier of trees around the southern border of the saharah, the western border of iran, and the deforested banks of the amazon, and you'll see stabilization within five years to a decade, depending on the density of the trees and the species used (growth rates).

make it ten miles wide along iran and stop the three gorges dam project, and you'd get even better results.

make it twenty miles wide along the saharah, and you'll almost elminate hurricanes in the atlantic.[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[b:441e79e2ad]
    ElectricMan:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]A five-mile barrier round the southern sahara should provide plenty of fuel
    and huts for the countries it would run through[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[quote:441e79e2ad]that is, unfortunately, one of the bigger problems facing such a project.[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[quote:441e79e2ad]Only the Amazon project is truly feastible at the moment, but the
    logging and rancher companies won't stand for it. It needs a strong
    public opinion supporting it in the US, and that's the problem of
    *that* project, really.

It's getting worse. I'm positively melting here, and it's not like I
    dressed warmly today.

Someone turn off the sun, or send a weather machine this way.[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[b:441e79e2ad]Saccharissa:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]Didn't an enviromentalist in Sahara win the Nobel Prize for peace?[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[quote:441e79e2ad]that's not difficult. it's too hot to fight there.

Cynical Youth:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]Thought I'd share my crazy weather experience.

I just got back from uni. Now it's been stormy and rainy all day, but my bus ride back was just awful. I could feel the windows bend under gusts of wind and the bus driver was noticeably struggling to keep the bus from swerving into another lane. Apparently a few lorries have already been toppled by the wind.

My walk back (I have to walk along the dikes, not the best place to be in this weather) was much the same. Pelted by hail with wet hair plastered to my face by the wind, yes it was fun (although I did do a bit of running with the wind from behind which admittedly was pretty nice).

A nice big bowl of noodles and a cup of coffee made up for a lot, though.

Weekend![/quote:441e79e2ad]

Garner:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]appearantly it's snowing up in Seven Oaks. not 100% sure where that is in relation to hastings, but its on the train line to london.
    [quote:441e79e2ad]
    (...)[/quote:441e79e2ad]

Hsing:[/b:441e79e2ad]
    [quote:441e79e2ad]And we've got 20 cm of snow in our backyard, and just as much on the streets. And judging from everyone's behaviour, you'd think it didn't snow in these parts, never ever, until this fateful day. Every year the same show: "What IS this white stuff coming from the skies? Wow, look, it's everywhere! What..." The train traffic broke down, we've had several small electricity blackouts, miles and miles of beautiful traffic jams, accidents no end...

Could someone explain them what all this white stuff is and engrave it in their brains that it happens, in this part of the world, almost every year?[/quote:441e79e2ad]

[quote:441e79e2ad]It's 32 degrees outaside. THIRTY. TWO. DEGREES. And it's winter.

*sobs*[/quote:441e79e2ad]

And me again...
    I take everything back I said. We were lucky, right here, though!

We had only some minor blackouts during the day, often the light would just switch off for a second and turn back on.... ALL, and I mean, all surrounding communities had blackouts, some of them still have - since Saturday afternoon!

People have spent two days in trains or in their cars on the motorway, because everything broke down in parts of Germany.
    A friend of mine drew home in his car on Saturday, and the weather was still pretty fine when he started. When he was on his two hour trip back home, the storm had started, and it was snowing like crazy. He had two heavy snow ploughs in front of him, and one of them just slid into the ditch like a leaf blown off a clean plate. My mother saw similar things on her way home, cruising around fallen trees and all. The last 30 minutes on her way home, she only drove on because she was too scared not to get home at all. The wind just pushed cars off the iced streets like toys, and every time she had oncoming traffic, she was terrified like hell.

Even where the blackouts were short or didn't happen, people went shopping on skiers, and the farmers on isolated farms sometimes evacuated their families into the next village on their tractor engines. Those were practically the only engines still driveable at all, and a lot of farmers spent the last two days organizing food for isolated neighbours.

I mean, here you usually only get a little snow nefore Christmas, if any at all, not more than a few centimetres, instead of at least half a meter.

I know it's still laughable for people living in, say, Canada, but here, people didn't have to expect this, especially not in combination with a storm. No one here owns snowmobiles, not even the fire brigade, and its not normally the case to have generators, or gas cookers, or any of the things they would have needed. I've met people in the supermarket this morning who sat in their dark cold houses for the last two days and didn't have a single warm meal.

This is all very new to us.
  2. Andalusian New Member

I'd quite happily steal Roman's weather. Its supposed to be summer here! And yet its been raining on and off for the last week or so. Its ridiculous. I hate rain. Today was freezing cold! (actual temperature may have been around the 20C mark)

And yet about a month ago it was lovely and hot and we were looking at a scorcher of a summer. Give me back my summer! :|
  3. Roman_K New Member

[quote:50392a2e19="Andalusian"]I'd quite happily steal Roman's weather. [/quote:50392a2e19]

We already had our summer, heat waves and all. We now want something that's a bit colder.
  4. fairyliquid New Member

try incesant 37 degree Celcius heat...with about 90% humidity...all year round.

Be glad you *have* seasons.

Even if they are trecherous.

Here we have foam sprayed out in the streets as imitation snow blizzards and I believe one place has a massive bubble magine which, in someones mind, is supposed to immitate a light snow fall...

The hilarious thing is the little singaporeans who come down in big puffa jackets all ready for the cold...poor kids, must be boiling...

On the bright side...Canada in 3 weeks, one extreme to the other :)
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

First proper snowfall for the season here in Stockholm. It looks to be somewhere between five and ten centimetres, and it's not melting away either. Hooray! :D
  6. Smoking_GNU New Member

Today we've got something new: the first truly warm weather of the summer.

I wonder if the words "Omnidirectional blowtorch" would be most appropriate to the conditions here. Thank God for air conditioning is all I can say.
  7. spiky Bar Wench

After a pretty decent spring, we are in the middle of a week of rain and cold miserable weather. Summer's gone bye bye. However its supposed to clear tomorrow to 27C and we have a staff cricket day.
  8. TamyraMcG Active Member

We had our first nasty storm Sunday, first it rained and then it snowed and we still have ice on the roads. Some places had it worse, lots of interstates were closed for half a day or so. There were lots of people without electricity because the ice was snapping the power poles and the crews sent to replace them were having trouble getting through the snow. Luckily the outages didn't affect us, but it was a close thing.

Jon had come home bobtailed( he left the trailer at his companies yard) so he stayed home until Tuesday, which let him get his business done at the bank. He had trouble getting out of the yard until he remembered to take off his parking brake!

I am so grateful we bought the new fourwheel drive pickup before this storm, I don't think my old car would have done the job. I had trouble getting getting onto the paved road from my little gravel street, that gravel is saturated with ice and I don't see it going away anytime soon, maybe April. I sort of wanted this but I can see the point of moving South for the winter.
  9. Hex New Member

Snow.
    Lots of it.
    And I'm mad at it. I was supposed to see my friends perform in Showchoir today, but they couldn't come because they weren't allowed to come out due to 'adverse driving conditions'.
    Not that I'm into Showchoir, but I'm still grumpy.

I love snow, don't get me wrong...

I just love it from the other side of a window, by the fire, with a nice cup of hot chocolate!
  10. Hsing Moderator

Lots of communities around Münster had an elecrticity blackout of five days in a row. Imagine that, and a lot of snow. For a lot of small cities in rural areas, there is only one major power cable, and if that line is interrupted because all power poles from there to the next power station lie down in the mud, there is not much you can do until it is built up again. Now, it's all under control again.
  11. Ozzer New Member

Yes, lots and lots of snow. While the biggest drifts I saw in my town were about five feet, Broken Bow, NE evidently is dealing with 14 foot drifts. They hoped to have all the main roads clear by today or tomorrow (the snow fell this last weekend) and then they can start on the residential roads. I'm thinking a pair of snowshoes would be good.
  12. Hermia New Member

We've just got lots of wind. Which means that it takes twice as long as should getting anywhere, seeing as the seafront road (the main road which all the buses use to get anywhere) and the railway (also along the seafront - clever) are closed due to the sea trying to reclaim what's rightfully hers.

I wouldn't mind, if the bus company actually told us this, instead of letting us all stand there like badly-balanced lemons getting blown to shreds...