Dad

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

So, as anyone who's been part of this community for a while will know, I've got a rather [adjective] relationship with my dad.

I think one of the most enduring lines I took from any Pratchett novel was Otto's comment about William, that 'you only have to talk to him for a few moments to realize his father's always looking over his shoulder', or something like that.

Well, I had an email from my dad a few days ago, saying among other things that he'd messed his back up. Got an update a day or two later saying he was going in for an MRI scan and would know more later.

Today I got another email. He's got more information himself now, and he was able to paint a pretty clear picture of what happened.

Now, I know for a lot of men one of the most difficult lessons to learn is that your father is only human. I'd known that all my life, but that doesn't change anything. Come the end of next week it'll be four years since I moved over here. I'd been homesick a time or two, and my mom had some serious health issues of her own not too long ago, but this is the first time I think I've really regretted the distance that I put between myself and my parents.

Grace isn't in at the moment, and although I spoke to mom and let her know about the situation we weren't able to talk for long. (She's doing some volunteer work at an Alcoholics Anonymous office and had some other, pressing calls to take). I guess i'm just feeling a bit alone and lost, really.

It's a big, scary world for a little kid who can't run home to daddy.
  2. mowgli New Member

::hugs Garner-gremlin::

I know what you mean about the distance... My whole family seems to be all about moving as far away from each other as possible, and being rather smug about it until something goes wrong, and then it's all "Why am I HERE and not THERE?"

Two questions, and then I'll shut up and let wiser people take over...

- can your Dad walk?

- are you going to see him soon?

And now I be quiet!
  3. Roman_K New Member

Being independent and choosing your own, separate, path in life gives many benifits. Often, it's the only real way we can feel that we had the chance of making our own choices and mistakes, and learn from them, and make the most of it all, rather than living in someone's shadow.

And yet, even with a parent that has a very... strong personality, distance has its downsides. You have the "what ifs" when something happens, and the inability to even be there any time soon after the fact.

We're here for you, man.
  4. Saccharissa Stitcher

I wish your father a swift recovery.
  5. spiky Bar Wench

Bugger Clay.

Having not been permanently separated from my parents (a year OS doesn't really count compared to your move to the UK permanently) I can't say what the best way to deal with this is...

Maybe get your dad hooked up to skype and try to talk more often, then you can be closer to your dad now than you were when you were in the same house. It happens.
  6. redneck New Member

Sorry to hear about your dad, Clay. Best wishes for a quick recovery.
  7. Rewr New Member

Sorry to hear your news, hope your dad recovers as well as possible.

hugs and best wishes to you all.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

Maybe you'll have to figure out a way to go and see him, might be good for you both?
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Damn, Clay, that sucks **potato-flavoured hug** I hope he gets as well as he can as soon as he can.
  10. Hsing Moderator

Now that sucks -both what happened to your dad and the distance between the two of you. And I guess just crossing the ocean isn't always manageable, at least not when flight prices and the budget remain the same...:sad:
    I hope he gets better despite the diagnosis, and that maybe he gets a second opinion... They sound... erm... not exactly caring. I have no idea what the diagnosis means, wether it is a progressive thing or a one time catastrophe to the spine. If it is a one time thing - my father has been living with a crushed piece of vertebrae and several damaged discs for the last 50 years, with bad periods, but all in all well. A good friend of mine did the same for the last four years. But well, as I don't know... I'll just hope for you all things can be mended...
  11. Sunna New Member

I'm sorry to hear that
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

He's feeling a lot better these days, though its still somethin he's gonna have to live with for the rest of his days. Thanks for all the well wishes.
  13. sampanna New Member

If you can pull the money together, I would suggest visiting him. It'll help both of you.
  14. Saccharissa Stitcher

I'm very glad he is doing better. As for the pain, in Greece there are outpatient clinics run by anaesthesiologists, that deal with chronic pain. If there is an equivalent in America, I strongly suggest your dad gives it a shot.
  15. Hsing Moderator

Good to hear he's doing better... I hope it remains that way.
  16. mowgli New Member

Agreeing with Avgi and Hsing.. Hey, and if you do decide to go visit, you know where we live! :smile:
  17. redneck New Member

And me too. Well, maybe you don't know where I live, but it's real easy to find. If you land in Memphis, just drive east on Hwy 72 until all the people walking around are in overalls and have shotguns in the back of their trucks. Be sure to watch out for road slicks. Some people haven't figured out not to spit in the road. (believe it or not, that really is the way to get to where I live. Super easy to get to)