Discworld Casting Thread

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by ArthurDent, Sep 11, 2005.

1. QuothTheRaven New Member

Well, that would certainly be interesting.
  2. TamyraMcG Active Member

I watched Dogma last night and now I think Alan Rickman would be wonderful as Sam Vimes.
  3. FLUFF New Member

i reckon rowan atkinson for vetinari and james nesbitt for vimes
  4. QuothTheRaven New Member

You can't be serious. not that I have anything against Rowan Atkinson -- he is funny as Mr. Bean -- but he certainly doesn't fit my mental picture for Lord Vetinari.
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I can actually see James Nesbitt as Vimes though.
  6. The_Red_Avenger New Member

You've obviously not seen Blackadder then.
    RA
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

Hmm, doesn't really work for me. I picture Vimes more as a tough Clint Eastwood type face than the white-fro Cold Feet face of Nesbitt.
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Meh. I know Clint Eastwood is an obvious inspiration for Vimes, but his face is just too thin. He has a weird nose. Vimes should look much more English, to me.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

I love Blackadder, and Rowan Atkinson in everything except Mr Bean, and he really doesn't fit my mental image of Vetinari... I mean Blackadder is funny, Mister Bean is ridiculous, Vetinari is... Cool, calm, sly in an uber-intelligent kind of way, he's in control of things, RA is notorious for playing characters that balls things up all the time... Nope, doesn't click for me... Now, maybe he could do Rincewind, or could have done when a little younger, but not Vetinari...

I agree with the proposed Hugh Laurie as Vimes, I must say (see various other casting threads) since I saw House, he just can do it...
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think Hugh Laurie could indeed make a good Vimes, but he's a bit tall.

I like Alan Rickman for Vetinari.
  11. mowgli New Member

Hugh Laurie for Vimes!!!!! He'll make whoever plays Nobbie look shorter :)

I like Alan Rickman for Vetinary, but he still got that touch of ludicrousness... Jason Isaacs?
  12. Hsing Moderator

How about Charles Dancer?
    (Charles Dance (I))
    He's not quite as popular, but good at giving icy looks.

And who was voting for Steve Buscemi as Nobby again?
    I don't remember, but obviously the owner of this home page I found does:

[IMG]
  13. spiky Bar Wench

Steve Buscemi is a ringer... although not very flattering.

I'm going to come out of left field and say Hugo Weaving for Vetinari...

[IMG]
  14. KaptenKaries New Member

We've. Been. Watching. You. For. Quite. Some. Time. Now. Mr. Vimes.
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh yay !! That is a good idea spiky... although I will now have to erase the idea of Vetinarette the drag queen singing opera on the roof of a pink bus in the middle of australia from my mind...

"It's not pink, it's lavender !!!" :D

But then hey, one of the other dragqueens from Priscilla was also General Zod from superman, and the other one played in Neighbours, so whatever... :roll:
  16. spiky Bar Wench

piffle... If you can forgive Hugh Laurie for Blackadder to let him play Vimes you can forgive Hugo Weaving a little drag queening...
  17. Watchman New Member

Huge Weaving was in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?! Right, now I have to watch that film! He'd need to work on the accent for Vetinari though, but he does have the look.

Dont see how Hugh Laurie needs forgiving for Blackadder though, he was great in that :) From Ludwig the Indestructable to Lieutenant George, ace all round.

On the subject of former cast of blackadder, is there anywhere we could sneak Tim McInnery(sp?) in? Haven't seen him in recent years, but he's so versatile Im sure there must be somewhere for him.
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

I quite agree, there is no need to forgive either Hugh or Hugo for past roles, I thouroughly enjoyed all of those I have seen either of them in... However, forgive is not forget, and sometimes, when trying to imagine them in something that hasn't yet been made, actors' past roles do swell up and burst like bubbles all over the place... I just couldn't help wondering what Vetinari would look like in drag :D this has nothing whatsoever to do with Hugo being any less good for the part, it's just my silly brain on overtime ;)
  19. QuothTheRaven New Member

No, I havn't. The only roles I have seen Rowan Atkinson is are Mr. Bean and Johnny English.
  20. Watchman New Member

See if you can get hold of either Blackadder series 2 or 4 then. Mr Bean is good, but Blackadder is what you should judge him by for the role of Vetinari.
  21. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Blackadder rocks harcore.

But he's not vetineri. nope.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Exactly.
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm inclined to agree. He's too weasely for Vetinari, I think.
  24. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Yes. thats what I was thinking.
  25. The_Red_Avenger New Member

Ah, Quoth, that's probably why you perceive Atkinson as a bit of a wimp. Blackadder was probably his best character. Especially 2 and 4.

In "2" he ups the sarcasm in that he is so far ahead of the people around him that they are of little or no importance (unless he really needs them).

For example.

Percy "I'd like to be the spaniard who could get past me"

Blackadder "Well, go to Spain there are millions of them."

I'm not saying he would make an ideal Vetinari but he could be. I'd still prefer Alan Rickman though, but what I'd really like to see is Stephen Briggs given the role.
    RA
  26. wattie New Member

I always saw Fern Brittan (as long as she can act, although she would only play herself really!) as Sybil. Just posh and cuddly enough with a bit of school marm about her. I also always pictured Dawn French as Nanny Ogg but I do think Dame Maggie Smith as Granny weatherwax is genius! Also I picture someone like Stephen fry as Ridcully and Hugh Laurie as the Bursar because he is silly enough.
  27. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I think Steve Buscemi would be a good Bursar, with his buggy eyes. Yeah. Hehe.
  28. Delphine New Member

Loll, totally! I love Steve Buscemi, he's just got one of those faces. You can say "him with the FACE" and people know who you mean.
  29. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Did you see "The Big Lebowski"?
  30. Delphine New Member

No, but doors bought it the other day. I remember him from Con Air, a crappy 90s film about some convicts on a plane. No snakes though.

He played a mental guy who once wore a girls head as a hat.
  31. KaptenKaries New Member

Steve Buscemi and Gary Oldman are my two favourite actors.

I love Buscemi in Fargo, if you haven't seen it, you should.
  32. TamyraMcG Active Member

33. frankie New Member

My kids and I have often debated who we would cast in a Night Watch film. Jonathon Pryce would be good as Vetinari but I cant think of anyone who would be a good Sam Vimes and I have pondered this for years now. I guess Hugh Laurie is OK - Vimes is a mixture of world weariness and a determination to get to the bottom of the crime and Hugh Laurie is versatile.

Macenzie Crook is too young and too tall for Nobby IMHO.
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think Mackenzie Crook would make a passable Reg Shoe.
  35. Angua_rox New Member

Hmmmmm. Possibly.
  36. frankie New Member

How about Christian Bale for Carrott? He is easily able to do charming and heavy and he is a great actor!
  37. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I've been watching the re-runs of an American/Canadian (?) TV series called 'Wishbone' (1990-5). The star is a cute little Jack Russell terrier who would make an ideal Gaspode :)
  38. missy New Member

I don't normally have views on this sort of thing as i am often dissapointed in the choices actually made, i have however thought about the Sam Vimes theory above and thought Ray Winstone could make a very good Vimes. Determined, thoughtful, caring, sarcastic etc.

Perhaps with Kathy Burke as Cheery Littlebottom?
  39. Silvermoth New Member

My City Watch

I'm bored so I'll show you who I had in mind for the City Watch...

Sam Vimes- Hugh Laurie
    [IMG]

Carrot- Charlie Hunnam
    [IMG]
    Angua- Sarah Alexander
    [IMG]
    Detritus- Vinnie Jones
    [IMG]
    Fred Colon- Ian McNeice
    [IMG]
    Nobby Nobbs- Mackenzie Crook
    [IMG]
    Cherry Littlebottom- Catherine Tate
    [IMG]
  40. BadEarthMum New Member

Sam Vimes

I still say that it should be Marton Csokas to play Sam Vimes. He has the appropriately craggy features (he played Celeborn in LOTR). Look on IMDB for better pics. But I reckon he would be perfect
  41. Hsing Moderator

Mackenzie Crook looks way too good for playing Nobby, at least in that picture...
    And wasn't Celeborn an elf!? Someone help my memory...
  42. BadEarthMum New Member

Celeborn is one of the elves, but this picture in particular just makes Marton Csokas look perfect for Sam Vimes:

Marton Csokas

He was also in Aeon Flux (as Trevor Goodchild) and Kingdom of Heaven (as Guy de Lusignan) so he is very varied actor and can do worldworn, cynical and nasty just as Sam Vimes does in Discworld. I reckon his fairly fanciable as well!
  43. Hsing Moderator

Too fanciable! He looks like a possible, more aged Carrot on most of these pictures!
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Agreed, far too hunky... hmmm.
  45. Megan New Member

John Malkovich for Vetinari. Though I also think Alan Rickman would get the menace in the voice.
    For Granny/Lillith Weatherwax maybe Angelica Houston, with Miriam Margoyles as Nanny Ogg. For Mrs Palm, Joan Collins.:lol:
  46. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

The Fantasy Casting Couch

I've noticed the other boards have several threads with suggestions for actors and actresses to play various Discworld characters. Very often, new characters are introduced to these threads and the discussion loses steam.

What if we could choose from our favourites from the past 50 years or so and produce the 'Ultimate Cast' of characters. Who would you choose?

Here are my choices...

Vetinari - Jeremy Brett whose best role was Sherlock Holmes.
    Ridcully - Brian Blessed who is a large and loud actor.
    Vimes - David Jason from his 'Only Fools and Horses' days. Small and wiry.
    Nobby - Tony Robinson based on his Baldric character (Blackadder II)
    Carrot - James Gower a young, redheaded, Welsh opera singer (surprised?)
    Colon - Arthur Lowe from 'Dad's Army' a classic sergeant!
    Rincewind - Nigel Planer the 'student' in 'The Young Ones'
    Angua - Felicity Kendal from 'The Good Life' (Barbara Good)
    Granny Weatherwax - Joan Hickson who played Miss Marple.
    Magrat - Jane Horrocks from Absolutely Fabulous as Bubble
    Nanny Ogg - Patsy Byrne who played Nursie in Blackadder II
    CMOT Dibbler - James Beck from 'Dad's Army' as Pte Walker (a spiv)
    The Librarian - Clyde the orang utan from 'Every Which Way but Loose'.
    Detritus - Giant Haystacks the very large wrestler plus a little bit of make-up.
    Lady Sybil - the late, great Hattie Jacques from the famous 'Carry On' films.
    Cohen the Barbarian - Wilfrid Brambell the father in 'Steptoe and Son'
    Twoflower - Jackie Chan once you leave the martial arts alone, a good comedy actor.surprisingly
    Gaspode - It would have to be Nipper the HMV dog from their famous label.
    Death - Christopher Lee HAS THE HEIGHT AND VOICE!

I know some of these actors are no longer alive, unfortunately; but having been educated to their performances over the past 50 years (I AM that old!), I can't help wondering if Pterry, who is about the same age, might have had similar memories when originally creating his characters.
  47. spiky Bar Wench

Found it. The thread for this exists here.

See we're not that different to other boards too...
  48. Hsing Moderator

Should we merge them, or is there a difference?
  49. Electric_Man Templar

Maybe if Joculator could repost in that thread? Or move the individual post if that is possible.
  50. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Sorry for the inconvenience of splitting threads so to speak. Thanks to Spiky for the link to the original post. I see it was posted a few months before I joined UMB and even though I probably spent a few weeks going back through the archived stuff, it was three years ago.
    It any of the Sweepers would care to send it through L-space to the correct location it would spare me any more embarrassment. :redface:
  51. Hsing Moderator

Here you go, cleanly starting at page 8. :smile:
  52. superbanana New Member

I dont think I could watch a film with Angelica houston as a main character like Granny I dont think she could give Granny the right depth and also she does creepy amazingly well but I dont think she can do cynical wisdom, constant underlying anger, bitterness and general bitchiness that Granny possesses all the time.
    I reckon Maggie Smith would do a good esme/lily weatherwax
    Miriam Margoyles as Nanny Ogg
    Also although unrelated Helen Bonham Carter as Adorabelle dearheart from going postal.