Do you change your socks every day?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Delphine, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Delphine New Member

Me and Doors were talking in the pub today about socks. He changes his every single day. I think this is a bit excessive. I don't think that it's that bad to change your socks less than every day.

So! Do you change your socks [i:fb2c854d67]every single day?[/i:fb2c854d67]

Do tell!
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I usually change mine if I can't find where I left them. :)
  3. TheJackal Member

I used to religously change them every day but there are times now where I can't be bothered!
  4. Victimov8 New Member

I guess you know your own feet! Mine get a bit 'anti-social' if I'm not careful... Blame it on the safety boots
  5. fairyliquid New Member

I seem to change mines [i:3ca135c62f]twice[/i:3ca135c62f] a day...mostly because I gfet home from school and have a shower and loose them.... :)
  6. Ba Lord of the Pies

Well, [i:f373ee9426]of course[/i:f373ee9426] Doors changes his everyday. They can't stand him any longer than that.
  7. spiky Bar Wench

Mine get changed everyday because the expereince of putting sweaty, dirty socks back on my feet is something I try to avoid...

Besides less thean everyday is just asking for some fungus to set up residence and call you home and invite their friends over and the smell from their BBQ will permeate your house and make you unbearable to live with.
  8. Hex New Member

Socks? We don't need no stinkin' socks!

Which is why I change my socks every day. Sorry, but I like my feet clean and non-stinky. I'm odd that way.
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

every day unless i have no clean ones due to a laundry mishap, in which case i'll usually wear an older pair of shoes without any (or, of course, sandals in non-winter weather) or, better yet, just stay home and barefoot.
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I change my socks every day, I wear boots all day, so I have too. In summer I don't wear socks, so it's all good.
  11. Trollmother New Member

I have to chnge socks every day because they always hide themselves in the mornings. And when I wear a dress and thights they always only last one day. The chairs in scool are splinty (?) (Tell me the right word please!)
  12. lipi New Member

I change mine every day, and if I take a shower after I get home from work, I change them again. I prefear fresh clothes to the sweaty ones anytime.
  13. Dane New Member

i change mine every morning and sometimes more. I might put some clean socks on if i've had a shower after rugby or i might put some slipper socks on at night.
  14. koshu New Member

i only wear socks to school, so wen i get home i run around bare foot cause it gets too hot to wear them. in winter its a whole diffrent story :)
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, like Spiky, I don't like the feeling of putting used socks back on my feet... maybe it depends on how much each person sweats (sorry for the details)... If I've been running around on a hot day, I may have to change socks twice in a day, if I do a little light walking or hanging around, I could wear them for a couple of days ok...
  16. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Solution to having to put yesterday's socks on again: wear them through the night as well.

...............yes, i actually do this :oops: *Dodges looks of disgust from horror-of-manky-socks brigade*
  17. Cynical_Youth New Member

Darth_Bemblebee, I'm sure there are more of us who occasionally sin where manky socks are concerned. :)

I try to change them every day, but I sometimes forget and/or surrender to apathy and laziness.
  18. Garner Great God and Founding Father

apathy's one thing, but georgia summers have at times in my life produced socks that would not bend by laundry day.

actaully, though, i find that preferable to the times when just taking the sock off would kick up a small cloud of dust and lint after a day of long walking.

anyway, at this point i'm going to have to quote Al Bundy (or possibly Jack whats his name from that sorta-sequel show along the lines of 'divorced with children' that didn't last very long) when he (one of them, anyway) said:

Son, you can reuse your underwear, but not your socks. That's what separates us from the Europeans.
  19. Maljonic Administrator

Hee, I can just hear Al saying that. :D
  20. LaughingFire New Member

Weird sentiment. In theory I change them every day, but it can get difficult to find any in this house, even when you're the only one who does your own laundry regularly and in theory your socks ought to be right there with the rest of your clothes when you get the stuff out of the drier, only somehow they aren't! *pantpant*

So worn socks are still better than just stuffing your feet in your boots, right? :badgrin:
  21. Andalusian New Member

School socks get kicked off as soon as I get home. Horrible things. Don't want to wear them once, let alone twice.

Very rarely wear socks outside school, so there's no chance of being able to find a worn pair after the intervening months.

Fishnet stockings are so much cooler than socks anyway.
  22. Garner Great God and Founding Father

true... but not on men, and not for you until you're older.
  23. Delphine New Member

I am NOT too manky for words!

DOORS! Stop posting as me.

>punches<

Doors: it hurt. :(
  24. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:91659b2716="Trollmother"]I have to chnge socks every day because they always hide themselves in the mornings. And when I wear a dress and thights they always only last one day. The chairs in scool are splinty (?) (Tell me the right word please!)[/quote:91659b2716]

I guess the word that you are looking for is 'Splintery'

Not a good place to get splinters... Talk about a pain in the Rrrr
  25. Mynona Member

My usual socks get changed every day, the wollies, which I wear over the regular ones, does not. Stupid cold weather...
  26. Trollmother New Member

[quote:3e90e3b91c="Andalusian"]

Fishnet stockings are so much cooler than socks anyway.[/quote:3e90e3b91c]

Are that the kind which make legs look like Kasseler beef?

thanks Victimov8 for the word. Yes it's very unpleasant. :(
  27. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

lol, sure, it'd be fine if it was only occasionally......

And i agree whole-heartedly that fishnets are cool, but around this time of year you have to wear another pair of tights under them merely to survive, and even then you get people looking at you funnily and asking if you're cold.
  28. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

lol, sure, it'd be fine if it was only occasionally......

And i agree whole-heartedly that fishnets are cool, but around this time of year you have to wear another pair of tights under them merely to survive, and even then you get people looking at you funnily and asking if you're cold.
  29. LaughingFire New Member

You said it (twice), Darth_Bemblebee! Although we had negative temperatures the other week and on Super Hero Day half the sophomore class still wore tights.

Humans are weird. Thank goodness.
  30. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Oh buggeration. Apologies, lol.

Superhero Day? Wow, i think everyday should be Superhero Day, just for amusement value......was that for charity or some such, or mere hilarity?
  31. Hsing Moderator

Trollmother, that was a nice description of fishnetstockings. Or whatever they're called. :)
    And yes, I... er... do change my socks daily, and religiously so. It's a habit, like washing your hands before eating, even if you haven't touched anything icky since you washed them the last time.
  32. LaughingFire New Member

"He's preaching. Learning is light, ignorance is darkness, wash your hands between meals, don't run with scissors, you know, the usual stuff." Says Henry. Should I get Julia to add "change your socks every day" to that list? :lol: We're in the theatre teching the fight scene right now, it'd be easy.

XD Nah, Hsing, Spirit Week. If we had the highest percentage of people dressing with obedient insanity all week, we got an ice cream party. My superhero costume was weird but it was stuff I wear anyway, so I dyed my lips green and wore a green feathered Marti Gras mask.... ^^
  33. Hermia New Member

Gotta agree with Mynona. I walk several miles a day, so old socks are not pleasant. But I have thick woolies to pad out my boots with, and they only get changed when the other pair have been washed.
    If I have no clean socks due to a laundry mishap, as Garner so nicely put it, I go shopping.

Edited because I missed out a word, thus potentially blackening Garner's reputation even more.
  34. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i actually had to go shopping for socks the other day. i think there may have been ONE clean pair left, but no prospects of more laundry being done before they'd have expired, but also my current shoes have got so much broken plastic ribbing in the back that EVERY sock is now gaping around the heel and ankle and i decided it was time to just get some new socks.

'cotton rich' my ass. if that means 'they're mostly nylon and will leave cotton lint on your foot' then i obviously haven't learn how to speak the queen's variety of english as well as i thought.
  35. Hermia New Member

"Cotton Rich" is short for "These Socks Are Made Of Plastic. To Buy Cotton You Must Be Rich".
  36. LaughingFire New Member

Which is kind of odd given how cheap cotton is and how expensive petroleum is....

My socks story: I had begun to suspect that I was allergic to wool a few months before, but didn't give it much thought. Well, there was a camping trip in the mountains coming up and I was lean in the socks department, so out we go to get some. One of the pairs was a men's extra-thick-and-heavy wool pair. I put them on over the shorter blue nylon ones when we set off. My ankles started itching after a while, but I didn't give it much thought. In the evening, I take off my socks, and there are WELTS going all the way around my ankles. Burned for the next three days. I still have scabs.

Conclusions: I am allergic to wool, socks hate me, and Sir Gawain is a chihuahua.
  37. spiky Bar Wench

I'm constanty buying new socks because when I go away instead of forgetting my toothbrush I tend to forget my socks.

Being allergic to wools gotta suck. No warm clothes for you!
  38. mowgli New Member

[quote:5dcf076bea="Hermia"]"Cotton Rich" is short for "These Socks Are Made Of Plastic. To Buy Cotton You Must Be Rich".[/quote:5dcf076bea]

:lol:

Day-old socks are gross :p. The few times I had to wear them (travelling, unexpected sleepovers etc) were extremely traumatizing. ::shudder!:: Ditto underwear, stockings and any body-hugging top!

(a friend of mine won't wear day-old JEANS. And when I told him I wash mine once a week, he gave me a thouroughly disgusted look...)
  39. Tephlon Active Member

Socks get changed daily.

If possible.

During summer I will come home, dump the socks and use "flip flops".

When I was 16 I had one drawer for underwear *and* socks.
    Now I have one drawer for underwear, one for "normal" socks and one one for "sport" socks (As I now go to the gym twice/thrice a week) (Yay, me)
  40. fairyliquid New Member

I had to wear day old socks on a ski trip last march.

This was day old ski socks *after* having been used once for a day skiing.

I stuck all my socks from that trip in a little plastic bag and when I got home my mum..the poor dear...decided to get all the dirty washing out.

She still hasn't recovered.

I think we had to stick them through the machine twice :?
  41. Perdita New Member

I change my socks/stockings/hold -up s (whatever) every day. Unless I'm caught unawares- eg decide to stay over at a friends house or whatever.

My major problem is when I go home to visit my family and do my washing there. Between my brother two sisters and my mother we seem to have amassed a huge colection of black socks. But do these socks 'match up' when they go through the washing machine. NO! How can identical black socks not match I hear you ask? Well they just don't - some are shorter,bigger (in the case of my brothers) more grey than black, some have more elastic or less elastic etc. I just don't understand it!
  42. Roman_K New Member

When possible, I change my socks daily. When not, I either walk around sock-less or take the oldest pair in the yet-to-be-washed basket, with the hope that at least [i:0ec17cd31e]some[/i:0ec17cd31e] of the manky-ness has evaporated.

This rarely happens, though, as one of the few advantages of the military is that they give you lots of socks of the lava-trodding variety. I mean it. It would take some real effort on my part to make a tear in these things, even with a pair of scissors.
  43. KaptenKaries New Member

As long as I don't spend the night somewhere else than in my bed, my feet are greeted by new socks every morning.
  44. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I try to change my socks every day. If i can be arsed. Every time I go back to my parents house I steal load of them so I have a vast abundance of them. I often wear odd socks becuase I'm not a racist.
  45. LaughingFire New Member

Is there some culture in which it is standard practice to have mismatched socks, Rinso?
  46. Rincewind Number One Doorman

No. But i'm not averse to intercolour sockage. I know some people who don't believe white socks should mix with black socks.
  47. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

:shock: Perdita, it's so true!! About a million zillion [i:9d49762138]identical[/i:9d49762138] black socks, sit down to pair them up, and each and every one somehow has a little quirk that seperates them from all other socks in the heap. Awwww, quite like people really. *Muses happily*. :)
  48. Faerie New Member

My feet recieve new socks after every shower so that's mostly everyday except in the summer when I don't wear socks. If I do take my socks of during the day I have to get new ones because putting old socks back on is just gross. I also sleep with my socks on even in the summer, I have been called abnormal for this. Is there something wrong with sleeping with socks on that I don't know about?