Does Anyone Here Have A "Freeview" Box?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by TheJackal, Jul 24, 2006.

1. TheJackal Member

I've been looking at getting digital tv & Freeview took my eye.

But I live in southern Ireland, so do not think I could get reception if I got a Freeview box. Does Freeview only work in the UK?

Sky Digital seems my only other option, with Ireland being in the dark ages. For some reason NTL are not allowed to run in Cork where I live, though they have been in Dublin & many other counties for ages.

I'm stuck with Chorus, who have a monoploy for terrestrial TV (with Sky being their only competition for Digital) & nobody seems to be bothered about stopping this. Funny thing is, Chorus are so badly run, they are in debt! They should be loaded!

Chorus do have their own version of digital TV but it's crap compared to Sky & a rip off.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm sorry, but I've never even heard of Freeview. I don't even watch normal telly. :?
  4. Electric_Man Templar

I doubt that'll help Mal, the Irish don't have postcodes.

Jackal, I think you need to find out from whoever the big TV networks are over there in Ireland, find out what's happening. The UK and Ireland have seperate TV systems (what with being different countries), so unless somewhere in Wales or Cornwall has a really, really strong freeview transmitter, you won't be able to receive it.

Can't even receive it in my town, because they haven't upgraded the local transmitter yet and the one further away doesn't give out a strong enough digital signal.
  5. Maljonic Administrator

They do sell freeview boxes in Ireland, so surely some people must be able to get it?
  6. Orrdos God

Heh, I was working on the digital TV advice line a few weeks ago
  7. TheJackal Member

[quote:3fa55acbcc="Maljonic"]They do sell freeview boxes in Ireland, so surely some people must be able to get it?[/quote:3fa55acbcc]

Yes, I was thinking along that line. But cannot find any information about whether it works ok in Ireland, let alone in the South.
    I suspect it would only work in the East of Ireland, in Dublin, etc, since it's closer to the UK.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:f883bf6a3d="Orrdos"]Heh, I was working on the digital TV advice line a few weeks ago[/quote:f883bf6a3d]So what do you advise? :D
  9. Orrdos God

Well, it's only supposed to work in britain.

I don't have any info on ROI, but, I'd advise this:

Buy one and see if it works

If it doesn't, take it back :)
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

good, sound advice.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

A true professiononamal. :)
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

And if it doesn't work, blame Doors and take it back. (for once this is actually applicable :D )