1. heya peeps. i've been posting on here for a few weeks, just haven't put myself on this bit yet lol. ok... soo... me..

i'm 17, from england and my name's rachel. i am a terry pratchett FREAK!! i love the books and am only a few away from having the full collection of main books and am working on all the extras etc.

i also love horses, music annndd... any other questions just ask! lol

soo.. hi all lol
  2. Maljonic Administrator

Hello warning_i_have_a_blanket, and welcome. Please can you ease up of the LOLs though, you can't be laughing that much anyway. We tend to shy away from too much text speech here (not saying you've done that by the way, just letting you know), prefering to write stuff out in full as best we can - but the occasional LOL is okay just so long as something really is so funny that you're literally laughing out loud. :)
  3. RebelwithoutaPause New Member

Personally I found it rather endearing on this occasion, more like the nervouse giggle of someone standing up to speak to a group of new people for the first time. Which isnt allways easy to do.

Hi Warning its nice to meet you, Im new too and finding this a nice place to pop into during lulls at work. The people are all really friendly most of the time and its certainly made me pick up some of my older pratchett books I havnt read for a long while and read them again.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

I know it's not that big a deal, but it is in our Code of Conduct that we all worked out together:
    I did notice another post where you, warning_i_have_a_blanket, wrote "tba" instead of "to be honest", which I know us fully acceptable in most place - but we prefer to write stuff out in full so everyone can understand it right away without needing a text speak dictionary, especially for those whose first language is not English, as for many here it is not.

Anyway, I hope you don't get scared off by our quirky rules, it's just the way we like it. :)
  5. drunkymonkey New Member

Yar, I can agree with that. You always try to impress people in your first few posts (I know I did, for a number of forums), and looking back on them, you can't help but cringe.

Still, hello there Warning. Is it alright if I call you that? Or would you prefer Blanket?
  6. it was kind of a nervous giggle... trying not to put it here..

just so that you know. i can be really nervous and quite down some days and others i'll be really hyper and will go for anything.. this is not because i'm trying to wind anybody up or that i'm being 2-faced. it is because i am bipolar. my views on some stuff may also change with my mood. sorry if it seems strange that i'm telling you all this but i find it helps to let people know before i upset anyone and they start thinking that i'm doing it deliberatly.

on a lighter note.. thanks for welcoming me onto the board and i'll try to follow all the rules!! :)
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Warning! Glad to have you. Thanks for the heads-up, and for taking Mal's comments well. Why not have a go at answering the questions in the first post of the main Introductions thread? They'll let us know a little bit more about you. :)
  8. ok here goes on the questions :)

i just love discworld logic and discworld philosophy. i get so sucked into it that sometimes the tortoise will get hit by the arrow because although, yes, they are both moving, they're not going the same speed. anything that can be so rediculous but seem so real and logical at the time has got to be worth a name! (plus i really like susan as a character)

female... i think. hang on a sec... yep definatly female

i am 17 (18 in april! yay!) and fron south-east england

**looks around for possible rifles** no i don't really think it could be done to be really good. most of the magic is in the writing so it'd either not have enough stuff in it or have so much it doesn't run smoothly. no idea about casting as i'm the type of person who when a familiar ator/actress is in something i generally say"that's the guy from...er..." etc

i've spent most of my life living with bipolar and so while i was in a children's home when i was 14 one of the carers gave me jingo as a gift to try to take my mind off it. it did the job and so now whenever i start to feel bad i read discworld and get completely sucked in. it's the best medication ever

never NEVER think musicals are boring. i went to see Avenue Q tonight and it was so funny i haven't stopped laughing yet! a quote:

"the more you love him the more you want to take a baseball bat to his head"
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Cool, that's the first time I ever heard of Discworld novels being used as medication. :)
  10. Hsing Moderator

Same here, although I have heard it before about books as such.
    And welcome, warning_i_have_a_blanket.
  11. believe me it works! and discworld books are really good for it because they're written in such a way that you get completely sucked into it, forgetting about anything else that may be going on "outside". great for when i need a break from my own life!
  12. Angua_rox New Member

I use them for getting away too, although fortuneatly I don't tend to have anything that severe to take my mind off.
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

There was a thread once on the old board about how Discworld had been a form of relief to those of us who suffer from depression. There were quite a few of us who had had that experience.
  14. greenfairy New Member

ummm hi... im a bit confused by all this so sory for bad attempts.

yeh i agree the books are amazing for taking your mind off of well... life =)

but as of the lol thing... it wasnt that bad realy... could be much worse... i normaly am lol (joke)
  15. Maljonic Administrator

Hello greenfairy. :smile:
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

llo.

Damn.
  17. greenfairy New Member

=) hi

hmm well it seems iv killed all conversation... =S

im starting to find it realy hard to get hold of new pratchet books,
    it seems that evrywhere sells the same few popular ones dunt it?
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Greenfairy! Why not tell us a little bit about yourself in the Introductions thread at the top of this forum?

To get all the DW books, your best bet is to go to one of the big bookshops like Waterstone's, I think. Ours stocks all of them and always has the new releases straight away.
  19. Stercus Stercus New Member

Hi greenfairy, you could always try Amazon too if you're into online shopping, they have everything as far as I know. I always have the next books and extras pre-ordered on there.