Eurovision : music with rocks in

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, May 19, 2006.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

2. Dane New Member

They almost look like a Finnish (Not sure of the spelling or plural of that) Slipknot with the masks.

This leads me to ask why there aren't more rock entries in the eurovision. I know that there is a lot of british talent all a hell of a lot better than the last 5 years of entries.

for example Reuben could win it easily I think. They are an amazing british band and yet who have we nominated? Daz Sampson, some ponce rapping about school.

we have every hope in the world

EDIT: to correct the name
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nah, come on, don't bad-mouth the british song, I mean, how could it expect to beat lyrics like these ?
  4. Dane New Member

LOL, well I think I see where your comeing from.

I don't really care how we do anyway, we're only still in it because we donate so much money to it, we should have been out years ago. I don't watch it because of the crap songs like that, although the finnish band may well make it worthwile.
  5. roisindubh211 New Member

Is it that time of year again? I love Eurovision. Its just so funny... (recently watched the Father Ted episode with "My Lovely Horse". So awesome.)
  6. Hsing Moderator

Well, over here, Eurovision contest had such a shop spoiled image futuring only the most shallow kind of pop song that no modern musician wanted to spoil his image by taking part. Only recently, quite a few mock entries have changed that - and turned it into a kind of post modern fun event.
  7. TheJackal Member

Saw the Finish act on thursay night in the semi-final. They were good enough & fun to watch, but it's kind of weird seeing a heavy metal band in such a tacky competition as the Eurovision.
    It's a fun show to watch though annually. Ireland got through the semi as well, so tomorrow night should be slightly more interesting.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:7c095b770c="Katcal"]OMGG am I impatient to see these guys perform !!!

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/finland.htm

Go Finland !!!! :D[/quote:7c095b770c]They look like the cast of a Star Trek episode.

Also, I'm still dancing to Moldova's entry from last year.
  9. Saccharissa Stitcher

I voted for them in the semi-finals you know. :)
  10. Dane New Member

I was talking to a friend last night about Lordi (is that right?) He said that their an awsome band and that he's seen them in concert a few times. Their dress sense certainly does give them the edge :D
  11. missy New Member

They look like something out A Nightmare On Elm Street!!!

OMG do they really think they look good, now the bloke for Britain, ooooooh theres someone you want to win, a drugtaking, killing and wounding machine thats been in prison on several occasions, is going through a midlife crisis AND cant sing......

YAY go England!!! not.
  12. Dane New Member

LORDI WON! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know where we (England) came but I can guess it was near the bottom (And quite rightly so)

but go Lordi!
  13. Orrdos God

[quote:846d67948c="Dane"]I don't know where we (England) came but I can guess it was near the bottom (And quite rightly so)
    [/quote:846d67948c]

England?

I didn't know "england" had entered.
  14. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Lordi won? Good. Of all the song snippets that I listened to I liked theirs the best. And yes Doors, we all know that for acts of culture, the UK consists solely of the English. The subjugated Celtic peoples are only good for running around in skirts, scaring sheep, and drinking car bombs.
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Go FINLAND !!!!

Their song is here if anyone hasn't seen it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pKMUIETQs

I actually managed to miss them live on the eurovision, but they won, so who cares !!! The eurovision has become interesting again !!! :D
  16. Roman_K New Member

[quote:10ad6a92ec="Bradthewonderllama"]Lordi won? Good. Of all the song snippets that I listened to I liked theirs the best. And yes Doors, we all know that for acts of culture, the UK consists solely of the English. The subjugated Celtic peoples are only good for running around in skirts, scaring sheep, and drinking car bombs.[/quote:10ad6a92ec]

Damn right. ;)
  17. Hsing Moderator

It's surprisingly catchy. Actually its old fashioned rock... "We love Rock'n'Roll".

[i:33d72324cf]Drinking [/i:33d72324cf]car bombs? Could someone explain that sentence to a non native speaker? :)
  18. Delphine New Member

I personally liked Lithuania best. Their song was complete and utter shit, but they knew it! It went "WE ARE THE WINNERS OF EUROVISION!" for gods sake!

It had the comedy value of serious looking men in suits! One of which, a particularly serious looking bank manager style dude, did a crazy dance! i loved it. it ripped the piss out of the gay choreography and seriousness of the other entries. satire in music form! i'm not surprised the UK gave them a lot of points... i can't remember how much though. I thought it appealed to our ironic sense of humour.

I usually despise eurovision, and see no benefit at all in taking it seriously. Look at the UK entry. It was... embarrassing.

edited to add: I thought Lordi were ok, but i expected them to be more self-parodying. After seeing their picture, I didn't expect them to come out like that and actually pull it off.
  19. chrisjordan New Member

20. Delphine New Member

YEAH! GO DAZ! GO FINISH YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE!
  21. chrisjordan New Member

Daz is going to set his schoolgirls on you, bich!
  22. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Hsing, an Irish car bomb is a drink made by dropping a shot glass, half filled with Bailey's Irish Creme and half with Jameson's Irish whiskey, into a pint of Guiness beer. You then must chug the beer down. It's a variant of the boiler maker.

Incidentally, you must chug it down. Otherwise the Bailey's and Guiness interact in unsettling ways.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:74f09c20be="Delphine"]I personally liked Lithuania best. Their song was complete and utter shit, but they knew it! It went "WE ARE THE WINNERS OF EUROVISION!" for gods sake! [/quote:74f09c20be]

[i:74f09c20be]We are the winners
    We are, we are!
    We are the winners
    We are, we are!

We are the winners of Eurovision
    We are, we are! We are, we are!
    We are the winners of Eurovision
    We are, we are! We are, we are!

So, you gotta vote,
    Vote, vote for the winners
    Vote, vote, vote for the winners[/i:74f09c20be]

That's lyrics for you... I agree with Ella on this one !!!
  24. spiky Bar Wench

The Fins and the Lithuanians were my two top picks... We had a great night at a bar on campus, in front of the big screen singing, booing and clapping along to the songs.

As Australia isn't counted as European and we don't get to vote, we get to be totally objective about it... And enjoy the fact that the most non-pop, out-there act won for the reason they were DIFFERENT...

Great aspects of the Fins besiades the outfits, were the unfolding wings, the double headed axe microphone and the spewing fireworks from their instruments. I'm surprised they didn't melt or catch alight when that stuff went off.

Ftom previous Eurovision experience a lot of countries try and mimic the style of the previous year's winner... What do you think this means for next year's competition :D
  25. Dane New Member

[quote:56bb2c99aa="spiky"]
    Ftom previous Eurovision experience a lot of countries try and mimic the style of the previous year's winner... What do you think this means for next year's competition :D[/quote:56bb2c99aa]

I think that England just might enter one of it's many good bands! Like Reuben or Dragon Force. We could even win with the likes of McFly (But only if we were willing to stoop to that level ;) )

I'd certainly make Eurovision worth watching, a giant battle of the bands would be awsome television!
  26. Saccharissa Stitcher

I voted for Finland in the finals. And I have to apologise profoundly for that idiot Minister of ours who refused to come up to the stage to award Lordi. But what do you expect from a goverment that believes it's Eurovision that will define it as a good or bad one, what with all those phone-tapping and Pakistani-kidnapping scandals. And everyone on TV was plain insufferable when it came to Anna Vissi and her Gaultier dress.

So, substance over style baby. HARD! ROCK! HALLELUJAH!
  27. missy New Member

I have to say its not normally what i would listen to but they were fantastic.
    I was at a friends house with Dave and the whoops of "come on" and "YEEEES" were unbelievable each time they were awarded 12 points!

I enjoy taking the micky out of it most years but this year there was actually someone worth winning.
  28. Orrdos God

[quote:d9f73cb547="Dane"][quote:d9f73cb547="spiky"]
    Ftom previous Eurovision experience a lot of countries try and mimic the style of the previous year's winner... What do you think this means for next year's competition :D[/quote:d9f73cb547]

I think that England just might enter one of it's many good bands! [/quote:d9f73cb547]

BRITAIN.
  29. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:293b27944c="Orrdos"][quote:293b27944c="Dane"][quote:293b27944c="spiky"]
    Ftom previous Eurovision experience a lot of countries try and mimic the style of the previous year's winner... What do you think this means for next year's competition :D[/quote:293b27944c]

I think that England just might enter one of it's many good bands! [/quote:293b27944c]

BRITAIN.[/quote:293b27944c]

Isn't it the United Kingdom at Eurovision? And that includes you Doors... hmm Doors as the UKs entrant into Eurovision next year...

Lyrics by spiky:

[i:293b27944c]You are all fooked
    You fooken scousers
    You are all fooked
    You fooken nancy boy[/i:293b27944c]

I'd vote for it if I could :D

Edit: brain fart with the tags
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

**Laughs at spiky's lyrics** Well, Finland sent monsters, Scotland should send feegles :D
    I just saw the footage of the french commentators bad-mouthing Lordi's performance "Finland hasn't won in 40 years, and there's no way that [b:1bc9bdcccf]that [/b:1bc9bdcccf]performance will help them do it..." Ha ha ha, you old farts !
  31. Angua_rox New Member

Guys, Lordi just rock SO DAMN MUCH!!

They rock more than we could ever know.

But just on actually judging the song, didnt THE TWIST rock so much!!

I STILL have it stuck in my head.. . . .

#Sings "He didnt know how to twist, He didnt know howto make a girl insist, He didnt know how to move He didnt feel the groove, He didnt know howto twist"#
  32. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Wow, that band is cool. I must investigate further.
  33. Hsing Moderator

[quote:289ce5a5f8="Bradthewonderllama"]Hsing, an Irish car bomb is a drink made by dropping a shot glass, half filled with Bailey's Irish Creme and half with Jameson's Irish whiskey, into a pint of Guiness beer. You then must chug the beer down. It's a variant of the boiler maker.

Incidentally, you must chug it down. Otherwise the Bailey's and Guiness interact in unsettling ways.[/quote:289ce5a5f8]

Oh
    my
    [i:289ce5a5f8]head![/i:289ce5a5f8]