Finally made the change

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Buzzfloyd, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I realise some of you will be shocked that it's taken me this long, but I'm finally using Firefox instead of IE. I had been using IE 6, and refusing to update for ages, because I didn't like the layout of IE 7. However, this week, I'd been getting a lot of error messages, unexplained crashes and the like, so I decided to update. I discovered that the most sucky thing about IE 7 was that I couldn't get rid of the warning bar at the top that told me my security might be at risk because I didn't have the recommended settings.

So, Garner downloaded Firefox for me and gave me another lecture on why I should be using that instead of IE, and I finally caved. I'm sure my security is now greatly enhanced, and I'm sure that Firefox is better than IE in many ways, but I don't like the layout and I'm crabby about having to change. Although, at least Firefox has actually given me my Refresh button back. I don't expect to have to remember which function key to hit all the time!

And Firefox suggested I download a spell check dictionary, so I did (successfully avoiding the default option of US English), and now I wish I hadn't, because it keeps underlining words in red while I type. You'd think they'd have 'Firefox' in their own dictionary.

*grumble, grumble*

Doors and Roman may now commence gobsmacked mockery.
  2. Roman_K New Member

Don't worry, Garner got a similar lecture back in the day (make that multiple lectures), and it took him ages to get used to using Firefox properly. I'm just glad that he finally admits that Firefox is better.

By the way, did Garner give you some compulsory add-ons to download? Adblock Plus is a must-have, and Blue Ice is a very good visual theme.
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I downloaded some Adblock thing, and a visual theme with nice clear icons. I don't know if I have Adblock Plus.
  4. Rewr New Member

Um... What does IE stand for?

Do you mean Windows Internet Explorer?

(Yes, I'm not IT orientated. I got my machine, I switched on my machine, my machine worked, I am happy).

Im assuming that Firefox is good?

Anyhoo - yey for progress.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well done Grace, better late than never ;)

Yes, IE is Internet Explorer, and yes, Firefox is better :D
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I didn't even know you were one of those people in the first place. The only time I ever look at IE is to see if my websites look okay for the countless drones still using it, because the website code doesn't always work the same for IE, because IE still isn't coded properly like, say, Firefox is.
  7. Rewr New Member

Is Firefox idiot proof?
  8. Maljonic Administrator

If you mean can an idiot use it, then yeah sure. :)
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

We'll see about that
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ditto, every last word of it.
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I'm sure I don't take advantage of even half of what firefox could do. I'm set in my ways. I don't like tabs. I like to open each link in a new window, and I like a separate thingiebob for each one on my task bar (fuck that 'group liked items' shit). My task bar, by default, is set two rows high. On a busy day, it can be three, I've yet to need four. But I can move about through the stuff on the task bar quickly enough, and I don't need to worry about accidentally closing every single browser session with one forgetful click in the corner.

That said, because I tend to do windows updates as and when they come available (with some exceptions), I'd been saddled with that hideous heap of shit that is IE 7 longer than Buzzfloyd. Firefox may have taken a little while to get used to (and i do mean a 'little' while. a few days, tops), but I still have trouble just going back a page in IE 7. It's like Microsoft nicked the best ideas they could from Firefox, that is to say the stuff that could be forced onto the backbone of IE, and then when they realized they'd only nicked 'tabs', they went over to AOL and ripped off their shitty aesthetics and design layout.

Anyway, I still use IE on a daily basis. At work to access the intranet, or at home when MSN Messenger tells me there's a new message at my hotmail account. Other than that though, the only times I load it up are when I need to hit Windows Update, or when I click on the icon by accident because it's right next to firefox on my quick launch bar.
  12. Bradthewonderllama New Member

13. Mynona Member

The most annoying thing, however, is that my bank requires I use IE to make their homepage function normally.

*grrrr*
  14. Roman_K New Member

This is what IE Tab is for. Note the little icon at the bottom right of the browser screen after this one is installed. It can easily open an IE-rendered page in a Firefox tab simply by left-clicking on this icon, and if you want a site to be saved as an IE one for the future, just right-click on the icon and add it to the list.
  15. Rewr New Member

'K - I felt the vibes and given in - I'm firefoxed!

Any more recommendations for add ons etc?

Next question(s) - Thunderbird, is it good; does anyone use it; would anyone recommend it; is it also idiot proof?:smile:
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well, I'm slowly getting used to Firefox, although this tabs business is irritating.
  17. Tephlon Active Member

Heresy!

:)

Here's a few tips that will make you love Tabs:
    - Clicking the scroll wheel(It's like a 3rd mouse button) on a link will open said link in a tab.
    - Clicking with the scroll wheel on a folder in your favourites will open up all the links in that folder in tabs. You will speed up your web comic reading! (I don't put more that 20/25 links in one folder though. It takes a bit too long to open otherwise.)
    - Clicking the scroll wheel on a tab will close that tab.
    - The little iconthingy on the right side of your tabs will give you a list of open tabs. Easier to read.
    - And last, but definitely not least: If you accidentally close a tab: "ctrl-shift T" will open it right back up. (Saved my day a milion times.)
  18. Maljonic Administrator

Or if you really do hate tabs, like me, just don't use them and open links in a new window instead like Garner said. :)
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

It is better than outlook express for some things but not so good for others (especially if you're really used to the way OE works). Adding a hotmail account is enough to seriously induce rear-end pain, most other ones work ok, adding a signature is annoyingly awkward, other things are easier... I don't really have a definite opinion about this one...
  20. Rewr New Member

Er...What's hotmail exactly?

I just haven't really had time to look into a lot of things - and come evening time I just want to relax - well the brain won't really allow me to do much else, it kinda shuts down!:lol:
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

::makes notes::

We were away for several days, so I still haven't had much chance to experiment, but I'm already finding lots of small features to like about Firefox. The above will certainly be helpful, although I dislike clicking the scroll wheel because it feels weird. What? I can be as fussy and autistic about stuff as I like, OK?!
  22. Rewr New Member

Advice needed from those that know...

Since downloading firefox, I have noticed that wee messages flash up from the task bar. Unfortunately they're a bit quick for me to read fully.

Some of them are headed Firewall Status, but they don't tend to stay up long enough for me to click on or read. When I check my internet anti virus etc. program it says everything is okay, or a box appears saying that the software automatically updated itself!
    :confused::confused:
    Is there some thing I can do, so that these warnings stay longer, or should I be doing something else?
    :confused::confused:
  23. randywine Member

Rewr - Open an firefox window and go to Tools > Options and then click on the Advanced icon - all of the auto update settings are in there.

R.
  24. Rewr New Member

Uhuh...:confused:

Have checked - everything set up for automatic updates... so I don't have to do anything? right?:D
  25. randywine Member

Yeah, you don't have to do anything - I just thought, from the tone of your previous post, that you were concerned with, or didn't like, items being updated without your say so or explanation...my bad.

R.
  26. Rewr New Member

No not at all! Any advice is welcome - I am just so unsure about some things, and when it comes to flashing things (er well with a few exceptions - but we won't go there...):pirate:, I kinda think 'oh shit....'

I really know very little about computers, and time is not on my side, or my brain for that matter, for learning about and understanding some things.

Ask me about SSP, SPP, Alabastor, how Gordy Brown has done us no favours and has screwed low earners, and some high earners - (but we don't really care about them, they're rich (er apologies to all rich folk). I can give an answer. But computing.... duh....:confused:

Even if you know that something is simple, common sense like, any idiot would know, please pause and think of me - there is always at least one exception!:D

Rewr
  27. randywine Member

No worries.

R.
  28. Pepster New Member

Last time I tried to download and use Firefox all I got was a Arabic language version. From the english link on the main site.

I've slid back into using IE7 with no problems. I think I'll have to give firefox a go again though as I do prefer the security.