From the the man who brought you flash drives...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Roman_K New Member

2. Hsing Moderator

3. Roman_K New Member

Heh, I live without the comfort of most electric appliances at least once a week. :-D

And I often had to survive without it over the years, though I did miss it. Still great video, though.

In any case, back to my find - the modular phone. Its time has come. Dov Moran invented the USB flash drives, sold his company to SanDisk for a *very* nice profit, and now SanDisk are backing him again in this venture. I think that the of a core lightweight pocket PC with storage, that can interface into anything from a large mobile phone to your car stereo to a GPS, can go pretty far. They were apparently the crown event of the GSMA Congress in Barcelona.
  4. Hsing Moderator

It was kind of the next step, tying all those small devices that basically were mini computers with various degrees of storage into one central unit. Now I'll just have to wait for another ten years until I can afford anything like it.

As to my video, I just couldn't resist, sorry. I stumbled over it mere minutes after your posting.:)
  5. Roman_K New Member

The core device is estimated to cost $40. The devices that it will interface to will cost more, obviously, but expect them to become very affordable very quickly. The whole point of the inital marketing scheme is to make people want to buy several types, thus spreading what will essentially become a new standard for mobile products.
  6. Roman_K New Member

Or was it the opposite, the core being expensive while the jackets being very cheap... *goes to check*
  7. Roman_K New Member

Yes, my mistake. The idea is that the core device would cost around €200, which would give most of the electronics of a phone in a small device that already has the basic features of a mobile.

The jackets are estimated at around €40 a piece, making them very affordable.