fund raising.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, May 11, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

who's willing to chip in a few bucks to help pay for the site and any upgrades it might warrant, eg, storage space?
  2. Guest Guest

[quote:a14f2b78ed="Garner"]who's willing to chip in a few bucks to help pay for the site and any upgrades it might warrant, eg, storage space?[/quote:a14f2b78ed]

Depends on how much and when you want it........but i should think so.
  3. Orrdos God

Yeah, I can chuck some money at it
  4. Hsing Moderator

Me too. In tiny rates, but still.
  5. mowgli New Member

suuuuuuuuure... how are you collectin'?
  6. Garner Great God and Founding Father

dunno... everybody sends mal a quid in the mail? :p
  7. chrisjordan New Member

What about a PayPal donation thing?
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

that was more what i was originally thinkin. but we need to see what mal would even need in the first place.
  9. Maljonic Administrator

What brought this on? It's so bizarre that this should come up today of all days, the day I spent on a book keeping course.

Someone actually PMd me about this a while back but I told them not to worry about it, in fact I said:

[quote:24d85bd0e5]Don't worry about server space though, the money isn't running out and we aren't ever going to get cut off. We do actually make a bit of money back from having Google ads, as the site grows bigger with more content pages (the news and stuff) and the posts increase on the message boards the site gets more and more hits from search engines etc and we naturally get more money from Google. By the time the space is full - I reckon by July or August - I'm pretty sure there'll be enough money coming in to double the space.

Besides it's really not that expensive to be honest, I had dozens of websites already so I got a discount on the hosting for this. Eventually, when it gets really big, I'll put this, and all the other sites, on their own fast server with masses of space.

I'd never let things get desperate enough though that we had to pull the plug. We can even install a donate module with an amount raised automatically displayed on the front page to cover cost if it got totally massive, like the one on this site on the top right: http://www.nukeresources.com/

At the moment it only costs about £50 for the whole year so it's hardly worth doing that. [/quote:24d85bd0e5]

If it was on it's own dedicated sever it would cost about 20 times more, I don't think we need to do that just yet though. The only real expense at the moment for me is the time, and I'm not too bothered about that because it's my hobby as well as my career - website code canoodling that is.

We could easily have a donate button as mentioned above if people really want it, in the unlikely event there was some kind of profit type scenario we could plough it back into the site and/or run competitions with little prizes or something. The Golden Spoon awards. :)

Edit: the best thing everyone can do is to keep posting their great posts, and occasionally help with the Terry Pratchett-related content, such as the book blurbs on the Discworld Books pages, and any other Pratchett or Discworld stuff they can think of - as this is how we get our visitors in the first place.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Golden spoons. **dreamy**

Because I'm worth it... :cooler:
  11. Marcia Executive Onion

Thanks for the offer, and for thinking about it.
  12. Guest Guest

I'm sure from the response here this evening if things did get that bad, there would be plenty of people willing to chip in......just let us know.

This site has been an absolute godsend for me so i for one would be happy to contribute! I'm sure i can speak for Dave in that line aswell.
  13. Bradthewonderllama New Member

*echos sentiments*
  14. Victimov8 New Member

Hell - yeah, it has changed my life pretty well!
  15. Hsing Moderator

I've put on another book blurb a while ago.
    It is still on my screeen, really. It's fun doing it.
  16. spiky Bar Wench

I'd be willing to help if it came to it... even if my dollar is worth only 30 cents of yours.

Goes quitely to a corner and laments exchange rates.
  17. Perdita New Member

Yes I have plenty of funds in my off- shore Nigerian Bank account I'd be happy to part with :D
  18. sampanna New Member

If I remember right, the reply Mal quoted was to me. Or at least to a question I asked. Which means I'm willing to chip in too, at an even worse exchange rate than Spiky's :)
  19. jaccairn New Member

Should it ever be required I'll contribute too.
  20. Garner Great God and Founding Father

since mal doesn't need it...

who's willing to contribute to the 'buy garner a dual core processor' fund?
  21. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'll offer a bucket of spit. Disease free garantee.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:0b6d862642="Rincewind"]I'll offer a bucket of spit. Disease free garantee.[/quote:0b6d862642]

Oh, so it's not yours then ? :D

I'll give you all the money these african widows/orphans of assassinated diplomats/dictators/businessmen keep wanting to send me, no problem. Also, you can have my incredibly enlarged penis, which is now estimated at about 34.5 miles long (that is if you add the length of all the junkmail)
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

On a more serious level, this issue has come up on several sites I am/have been on, and several possibilities have been attempted. Membership fees or free-will donations are the most common, but other solutions are quite neat too, such as selling stuff (like the shop Doors set up for the tripod stuff, also available on www.spreadshirt.com and other such sites) it all depends on what kind of site it is and how much money is needed...
  24. Hex New Member

I'll chip in if help is needed to keep up the site.

I cannot offer core processor money due to the fact that I must save all my money for plane tickets to England.
    I can offer a piece of pocket fluff in the shape of a bunny though. Will that help?
  25. Maljonic Administrator

Terry Pratchett Unseen Message Board T-shirts, hats etc, ideal for meet-up recognition! :)
  26. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:fba968a686="Maljonic"]Terry Pratchett Unseen Message Board T-shirts, hats etc, ideal for meet-up recognition! :)[/quote:fba968a686]

And helping me to look like the geek I am :D
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:971a79388f="spiky"][quote:971a79388f="Maljonic"]Terry Pratchett Unseen Message Board T-shirts, hats etc, ideal for meet-up recognition! :)[/quote:971a79388f]

And helping me to look like the geek I am :D[/quote:971a79388f]

Absolutely ! They even do thongs. :D
  28. Angua_rox New Member

I would be willing to chip in, but I don't know how since I don't have pay-pal or anything like that. . . .

Also selling stuff sounds like a funkaliscious idea, it's hard to find good nerdish clothes these days :snakeman: :) :D