Getting to know you: multiple-choice game

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Buzzfloyd, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TamyraMcG Active Member

There is one true thing. The others are fiction.
  2. spiky Bar Wench

In that case I'm taking #2. No reason but its plausible...
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Then I guess I'll go for 4, although I hope it isn't the one, because it would suck...
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think #1 is true, since Ba decries it!
  5. TamyraMcG Active Member

Joculator is right, I do use an exercise ball for my computer chair, it helps a little. Number 1 happened to my sister and brother, I told them they shouldn't go swimming in a mud puddle, I'm not sure if I told on them or not. Number 2 happened to my brother in law, all they managed to do to our car at our wedding was fill the airvent with puffed wheat cereal and tie old bottles to the bumper, some of them lasted all the way to Fargo. I do own a blood sugar monitor for the reason that my parents are both diabetic, but I have only used it the one time. I really ought to do it once a week at least. Carry on!
  6. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

The thought of what could happen if you started bouncin' along to a rock'n roll track conjures up visions of ricochets from every wall in the room - just be careful in your choice of music, Tamyra :D

Okay... before I went into semi retiirement and started writing books and music, I also worked in several laboratories including a paper mill, a brewery and a school.
    I took my A-levels in 1967 but for which of the following subjects do I still NOT have an actual exam qualification.

1 - Biology
    2 - Music
    3 - Physics
    4 - Chemistry
    5 - English Language

:question:
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

English Language, clearly! ;)

Tamyra, I have also been using my exercise ball for a computer chair since having this pelvic girdle pain. Some people can't seem to sit on them without falling off, but I find it really supportive and comfortable.
  8. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'll guess #4, chemistry is the sort of thing I can see you picking up on the job, it seems to be fairly job specific.

I can bounce to music just fine and I haven't hit a wall yet!
  9. mowgli New Member

English Language would be WAY funny, but I'll go with music, since you don't need it to work in labs, schools, breweries or a paper mill! :smile:

(And Grace/Tamyra - now, for the first time in 5.5 months, you made me wonder what has become of my yoga ball since we moved)
  10. spiky Bar Wench

I'm going Biology... honestly why do you need a qualification in this?
  11. Hsing Moderator

I'm going for #3 because no one else guessed it as of yet, and I too would like to make public that I use an exercise ball as my computer chair, find it fantastic and bounce to the music. Give it a try!
  12. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Well done Tamyra but despite your confidence, I still can't pick Chemistry up as I go along. Now Alchemy would have had a totally different appeal. :D

For the rest I have some very nice certificates which, at my age, are now totally useless. I guess I know it all now he he. :lol:
  13. TamyraMcG Active Member

Okay, Joc, you amaze me yet again! I think I'll keep this one simple. Pick which vegetable I truly dislike= #1- peas
    #2- kohlrabi
    #3- lima beans
    #4- brussels sprouts
    I apologize if my names for these are unrecognizable, but I don't know any others for this set of veggies.
  14. spiky Bar Wench

#1 PEAS cos I have afriend who despises them for some reason.

I've get to get one of these sooner or later..
  15. redneck New Member

I'm going with #2, because I like the rest of them and don't know what a kohlrabi is.
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

3. Lima beans are what I know as broad beans, right? They're disgusting!
  17. Hsing Moderator

Kohlrabi:
    [IMG]
  18. Tephlon Active Member

I'm going for Brussel Sprouts, #4.

I personally love them, but I know that 80% of the population HATES them.
    I guess it's all in the way you cook them.
  19. TamyraMcG Active Member

If Broad beans and Fava beans are the same as limas then Grace and I are in complete agreement. They say that Butterbeans are also the same but they must be more mature or something because they don't taste the same at all to me. Peas that are canned are almost as bad as limas to me but I love them fresh or frozen, and it doesn't matter with limas, they always are disgusting. I hardly ever get kohlrabi but they are nice and Brussels sprouts can be wonderful if they aren't overcooked.
  20. Ba Lord of the Pies

No, lima (or butter) beans are a different species than broad (or fava) beans. The former is from South America, the latter from North Africa and Southeast Asia.

What butter beans are differs from region to region. In most places, it refers to a large, flat, white variety of lima bean. In the Southern US, it refers to the smaller, Sieva type of lima beans. In the UK, a butter bean is one that's been dried to be reused, or else has been canned and is ready to use. As well, in some areas in the Appalachians, where lima beans won't mature, they call a type of runner bean butter beans.
  21. spiky Bar Wench

Good lord Ba's turned into wikipedia...
  22. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba didn't get to be a god without learning a thing or two.
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Some wires got crossed when Garner first tried to explain the concept of Wikipedia to my mother, and - I don't know how this happened - she came away under the mistaken impression that Wikipedia was written and maintained by Ba. Well, I suppose it seems likely.

So! Another question. Of the CDs I ordered with my Christmas vouchers, which one still hasn't arrived?

1) Take Six - So Much To Say (a capella soul/jazz)
    2) Handel - The Messiah (baroque oratorio)
    3) Michael Jackson - King of Pop (pretend he's not a scary freak music)
    4) Rachel Unthank and the Winterset - The Bairns (miserable English folk)
  24. Hsing Moderator

I say #6, because Händel and Jackson would easily be available, and the last one sounds as if you'd heard it already, not like something you are yet to receive.
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Do you mean #1? :confused:
  26. Hsing Moderator

Oh, yes, I do... the name confused me! That post was my third try, too! If discalculia gets acknowledged, I'll seriously be claiming it!
  27. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba's going to guess #2, though that may be wishful thinking.
  28. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'll say #4. If folk music isn't matured for long enough you finish up putting your fingers in both ears. :D
  29. Ba Lord of the Pies

Somehow, Ba missed this part.

He is very amused [citation needed].
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

:D

In that case I'll go for #3, Amazon is just trying to preserve your soul...
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

And, most naturally, Ba is right! The Messiah is the one I've been wanting to listen to most, and the fuckers still haven't sent it.
  32. Orrdos God

Hah, that's great. Wiki wold be so much better if it was done by Ba.
  33. Ba Lord of the Pies

Many people might know that Ba did not particularly wish to learn Arabic. They might not know that the Air Force had him out a wishlist of languages he would like to learn. Arabic was not anywhere on it. Which of the following languages was also not on it?

A) Hindi
    B) Serbo-Croation
    C) Chinese
    D) Russian
  34. TamyraMcG Active Member

Serbo- Croatian? I know that is one I wouldn't really want to be fluent in.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well, Tamyra took my first choice, so I will go with Russian. For the Ba is no pinko commie!
  36. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'll chance a guess at Chinese.There's so many dialects it would only be useful in a small area of the country.
  37. redneck New Member

My first guess is still free, so I will guess Hindi.
  38. Ba Lord of the Pies

Joculator is correct, but not for the reason he thinks. Chinese is actually a very useful language to learn, and Ba would have liked to have it. However, they had run out of slots for airborne linguists for the year when Ba came through. Ba put every single non-Middle Eastern language available to him, including Serbo-Croation, Russian, and Hindi, to no avail.
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Poor old Ba!
  40. mowgli New Member

I will teach tovarisch Ba Russian, if tovarisch Ba would like! :smile: Don't come to me for Serbo-Croatian though!
  41. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Sorry for the delay folks, I didn't think I'd got that one correct.

Okay... I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one...

In the 'old' days when I first met Joculatrix at college, what was the first sentence I said to her? (Remember we've been together 37 years.)

1 - Let's have breakfast tomorrow. Shall I call you or nudge you?
    2 - Is this lab cold, or are you smuggling peanuts?
    3 - Hello err... err... Is this seat taken?
    4 - Psst, Blueyes! Have you got a copy of the timetable?
    5 - Is this heavenly body, going to the same astronomy class as me?
  42. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm guessing #3, but kinda hoping for the suggling peanuts one. I do hope she's paid you back for that remark by now, though.
  43. spiky Bar Wench

I'm taking number 4 even though 3 seems most plausible. Smuggling peanuts seems like it would have got you punched rather than married...
  44. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba will go with number 2, if only because it's the most amusing.
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Curse Ba, I would totally have gone for 2... In that case I shall pick #5!
  46. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well, then, I shall nab number 1!
  47. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Well, the answer I got back for my comment was...
    "They're not blue, they're brown actually!"
    Probably the second worst line since, "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damn"
    and I still haven't got a copy of that timetable. :sad:

Well guessed Spiky.
  48. spiky Bar Wench

Awwww right!!!! I finally got one right! Woo hoo!

When I was very little what unusual object did I swallow?

A) A screw driver
    B) A tooth brush
    C) A ruler
    D) A rattle
    E) A sock
  49. redneck New Member

I'll go with "E". Talk about cotton mouth.
  50. Hsing Moderator

A tooth brush?
  51. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'll go with #1 the screwdriver. Some of them do look a bit like lollipops. :D
  52. Katcal I Aten't French !

D, then, because it would be funny...
  53. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

These are all hilariously unlikely. I'll go for the ruler.
  54. spiky Bar Wench

And Hsing wins by being disbelieving :) Your turn Hsing.

I swallowed a toothbrush as a kid. Apparently i was chewing on it instead of brushing my teeth, and somehow swallowed it. The family was quite worried and were going to take me to the hospital but I stopped choking to death so they didn't bother. SO I either digested the toothbrush, its still inside me, or it dissolved...
  55. TamyraMcG Active Member

If I was you, I'd mention this to your doctor, they might want check to see if it is in you and get it out, especially if you are planning on having a kid someday. but it might make it harder to balance a wine glass on your belly for a while.
  56. mowgli New Member

Um... Spiky, are you SURE your folks didn't just make that story up to make you buy them a new toothbrush?
  57. spiky Bar Wench

Apparently not, as its been corroborated by others... Mind you it was one of those little kids toothbrushes not a properly sized one and I did nearly choke to death. As to finding it, I have had a number of X-rays and the thing with the gel that they do to look at babies (I didn't have a baby but I had a bad stomach infection) no sign of toothbrush so it should be all good.
  58. mowgli New Member

Glad everything came out okay then!!!

(badumm-ching!) :wink:
  59. Hsing Moderator

Oh, I almost killed this resurrected game! Sorry.
    Hm, okay then.

First best thing...

I am allergic against one of these things:

A) strawberries
    B) a painkiller
    C) latex
    D) bee stings
    E) horses.
  60. spiky Bar Wench

I'm taking A. You can't trust strawberries.