Gorilla Vs Bear?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Who would win?

I say Bear cuase they got more strength and claws. But my flatemate was Gorilla's cuase they're more agile.

What say you?

edit: spelling
  2. Electric_Man Templar

3. Ba Lord of the Pies

The bear. Gorillas really aren't made for killing. They're not predators. Bears are. They're built to kill other animals. A gorilla is more agile, but has little in the way of natural weaponry. It doesn't have the strength or the weight of a bear. A bear could break the gorilla's back with one swing, depending on the species.
  4. sleepy_sarge New Member

Depends on the kind of bear. If it were a grizzly, it would win hands down over a gorilla any day. Grizzlies can be up to 7ft tall and weigh in at anything up to 700lbs with 4 inch claws.

Although a gorilla could certainly emulate a certain wizard and run away sharpish at the first sign of conflict ;)
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think it depends what kind of bear.

I think also that gorillas are intelligent and known to use complex thought processes to achieve their ends, as humans do, so maybe the gorilla would win by intelligence.
  6. Roman_K New Member

Erm, if a gorrila's thought proccess resembles that of a human being in any way, then I'd say that's one dead gorilla. Many a man met an untimely end merely because he considered all the options he had available at the moment.
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Being intelligent doesn't have to mean considering all the options - it can mean instantly seeing the one option that gives you a way out, which a less intelligent creature might not have seen.
  8. Roman_K New Member

Ah, but being intelligent means losing quite a bit of instinct. Sometimes instinct is the way to go.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Nonsense! A truly intelligent person understands and uses their instincts. It's stupid to ignore them. They don't just disappear with the gaining of intelligence either. You've been reading too many justifications of the difference between Int and Wis stats in D&D.
  10. Roman_K New Member

:D That's quite possible.
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

12. Cynical_Youth New Member

Bear wins, I think.
  13. Rincewind Number One Doorman

My flatemate (pro-rilla) says it's down to who gets the first blow (which he thinks the agile gorzilla will get) apparantly they can crush the skull of a leopard with one blow. He says that once the gorzilla gets one blow it won't let up, so the bear won't know what hit it.
  14. sleepy_sarge New Member

Hmm been thinking about this over lunch (yeah it's that time over here) and actually I agree with Buzzfloyd here.

There are many instances in the human world where a mighty opponent has been beaten by the skill, intelligence and agility of a much less "powerful" opponent. For example guerrilla (no pun intended!) warfare in jungles or mountains where local knowledge and survival skills have allowed a small band of people to slowly pick off the members of the larger, more powerfully armed group until that group is forced to withdraw.

Damn I going wayyyy off topic here (so please don't flame me on the human thingy!) Bottom line is I can see circumstances where the gorilla would win by using its intelligence.

(edited because I'm an apostrophe Nazi and committed a cardinal sin)
  15. fairyliquid New Member

I think they are damned either way, no doubt they will both get some type of infury

"It'll all end in tears!"
  16. Ba Lord of the Pies

Gorillas are intelligent, granted. However, they're not hunters. They don't make weapons. They don't drive prey. They aren't generally aggressive. A gorilla might escape, but that's not the same as winning. Even a smaller bear is still better armed than the gorilla, in terms of claws and teeth.

One could argue that chimps might be better equipped, mentally, to deal with a bear. They're not quite as smart as a gorilla, but they're more aggressive, and more inclined to hunt. Still, a single chimp vs. a bear would still be hard pressed to find a way to use its wits to kill its opponant.
  17. Rincewind Number One Doorman

For the purposes of this question: The animals are trapped in a ring and are pre-aggitated, forced to fight for the entertainment in some barbaric future world.
  18. Mynona Member

Still, the bear.
  19. Roman_K New Member

Barbaric future world?

Anyone knows when bear pits officially ceased to exist?
  20. sleepy_sarge New Member

They still do - kinda. Bear Pits. Roadside America
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

In that case, probably the bear. But in the wild, the gorilla would be able to do stuff like climbing trees faster than the bear. Actually, what kind of bears are there that live in the same place as gorillas?
  22. Rincewind Number One Doorman

there could be trees in the ring, and stuff.
  23. sleepy_sarge New Member

Would that be "a tree ring circus" ? *hides*
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Haha! :D I like a good pune.
  25. Ba Lord of the Pies

None. The Atlas bear was the only native bear to Africa, and it's been extinct since the 1840's.

Actually, to be entirely fair, a gorilla might be able to beat a sun bear, the midgets of the ursine world. And giant pandas are technically bears as well. But most other species of bear are at least as big as the gorilla, and much better adapted to fighting. And while gorillas can climb, they're not actually all that good at it. Their main defense is that they're bigger and stronger than most everything else in the jungle, and they travel in groups.

Now, a group of gorillas vs., say, a kodiak, that would be interesting.
  26. Electric_Man Templar

How about a Gorilla versus a Koala Bear?

I bet the Koala would just hypnotise the gorilla whilst chewing Eucalyptus leaves, then eat the gorilla
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Doesn't a sun bear have absolutely colossal, lethal claws?

Edit to add: Koalas aren't bears!
  28. Ba Lord of the Pies

True. They do have those claws, and very powerful jaws. On the other hand, the gorilla would have reach on the sun bear. That's why Ba said that the gorilla might be able to beat it, not would.
  29. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Polar bear is the biggest bear right?

How about 2 giorzilla agianst it?
  30. Electric_Man Templar

In the jungle or on ice?

If it's on ice we could make it into a broadway show!
  31. Ba Lord of the Pies

They're larger on average, but brown bears can get bigger. The kodiak is probably the best bet. And two gorillas aren't going to be enough. Make it five or six, at least. Perhaps more.
  32. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Really?!

NO WAY?!
  33. Ba Lord of the Pies

Though, Polar bears are much more carnivorous, and a lot more dangerous, so if Rinso wants pure carnage, polar bear's definitely his best bet.
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Just thought I'd mention that the second way of spelling gorilla is the correct one, in case you were unsure, Roman.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Kodiak bears are the biggest, I thought. But polar bears are indeed the fiercest. They fight orca whales and walruses! Possibly at the same time!
  36. Maljonic Administrator

I'd go for gorilla, I know chimps can rip your arms clean off no worries, so a bigger ape must be well hard. :)
  37. sleepy_sarge New Member

*reminds self not to drink coffee when reading posts* Where's that spare keyboard??
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

'Anyone' being singular, anyone should 'know' rather than 'knows'. Just to clear that up, Roman.
  39. Ba Lord of the Pies

Kodiak bears are brown bears. They're a subspecies of brown bear, just like grizzly bears, as opposed to a species in their own right.

Actually, brown bears and polar bears are also very closely related, and can produce fertile crossbreeds, though their different lifestyles and territories tend to prevent this from happening.
  40. Roman_K New Member

No problemo. I think I'll load up Word now. Better safe than sorry, and all that. ;)
  41. Electric_Man Templar

Pff, next thing you'll be telling me that Bookworms aren't books!
  42. Ba Lord of the Pies

Again, a lot of the problem here is behavioral. Gorillas simply don't act like predators. Their defense relies largely on bluff and escape. They aren't as agressive as humans or chimpanzees. They're big enough that there aren't too many animals that can harm them. Really, a chimpanzee would probably be better able to defend itself, even though they aren't quite as strong as a gorilla. They act agressive, they think agressively. Gorillas just don't. And while gorillas are strong, so are bears. A brown bear can break a tiger's back in one swipe, easy. And they're tough. They're built fairly compactly, with a lot of thick fur and fat to protect their vulnerable spots.
  43. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Wow. This impresses me. GO BEARS!

What if the Gorzillas had been injected with some kind of rage drug to make them as aggressive as possible.

I don't like chimps, according to channel 5 they eat babies.
  44. Ba Lord of the Pies

Then they might hurt the bears some before the bears wreaked holy vengeance upon them. Bears just don't have enough weaknesses and gorillas don't have enough weapons. One is made for killing. The other isn't.
  45. Splang New Member

I think i'll go with bear. Not that i really have any idea, but i just like bears better :)
    And i think Ba has a good point about bears having better tactics and being more aggressive, so, the bear.
  46. sleepy_sarge New Member

is just waiting for Rincewind to issue the gorillas with AK-47s
  47. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I did argue bears. But my housemate wouldn't have it. I would bring it back up with him. But last time I got pretty obcessive with it.

Rhino would screw them all up though.
  48. Ba Lord of the Pies

That's when Ba would resurrect the giant short-faced bear, a bear designed by nature for hunting rhinos and elephants.
  49. Rincewind Number One Doorman

What!? Tell me more of this bear!

Do you think two normal polar bears would kill a Rhino?
  50. Ba Lord of the Pies

The giant short-faced bear was the largest bear on the fossil record. It hunted large animals like woolly rhinos, mastadons, and sloths. It died out when its prey died out, as did the other hunters of macrofauna, the American Lion and the Sabretoothed Cat.

And it depends on the situation. If the rhino can't charge, then it's going to be an interesting contest.
  51. fairyliquid New Member

oh no, it would turn into our sports.

"Go-go the gorilla has been jailed for use of a new 'rage' drug after controvercy regarding whether it is humane

If charged he will face 2 to 3 years in the zoo."

edit, deleted a line
  52. TamyraMcG Active Member

A friend sent me an e-mail with pictures. I can forward it to anyone who wants them. The message was about a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska.

He was out deer hunting when he was charged by a bear, he emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear which dropped a few feet from him,but was still alive, he reloaded and shot it in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12'6" at the shoulder, 14'to the top of it's head. It was the largest specimen ever recorded of a grizzly bear. It will be on display at the Anchorage airport.

The bear had tissue from two humans in its stomach. One person was found with a .38 caliber pistol nearby, the bear's autopsy revealed the hiker had hit the bear 4 out of 5 times but only suceeded in pissing the bear off, the second person was not found.

I think 3 or 4 gorillas would find it hard to deal with a bear like that.
  53. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Can you send them to me?
  54. TamyraMcG Active Member

Sure, I hope, could you clacks me an e-mail address?
  55. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Woah! I'd like to see that too!

All this animal talk makes me want to go back and read my old Willard Price books.
  56. Roman_K New Member

I want them too, I want them too! Sending my address now, Tamyra.
  57. Rincewind Number One Doorman

that in the picture bear is bloody massive!
  58. Electric_Man Templar

WOW! Somebody else read them too! I thought I was the only one! (apart from my brother)

Those books rocked when I was young, unfortunately my mum gave them all to the charity shop. :(
  59. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I think a bear would win, but I like gorilla's better, so I'm going against my better judgement and voting for the gorilla.

Tamy, I'm sending you my adress too.
  60. Dane New Member

I think that you have all grossly miss-judged the strength of the Gorilla. I think that gorillas are probably stronger. They are certainly more agile and they have opposable thumbs! They’d be able to rip the bear’s bollocks off :badgrin: :badgrin: That would be funny. :D

Plus gorillas are much more intelligent so would be able to out-smart the bear and kill it. So there!
    8)