Half my family have a different name.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

So I was talking to my mother the other day and she said her and my brother have added her grandfathers name to ours, as it's dying out.

Now they have a double barrelled name (only twats have double barrelled names informed her). It's odd becuase now half my family have a different name to me.

She wanted me to change it too, but i don't really want too. A) becuase of the double barrel twat condrum, b) I don't really like the sound of her grandfathers name c) i'm quite attached to my name.

Thinking about that I kinda though it was silly. My name doesn't make me 'me'. Espeically my family name, becuase that only defines where I came from not who I am.

Um, I have no end to this thread.
  2. Hsing Moderator

I think your name sounds quite cool. ;) Don't destroy it.
    I agree to the name bit, at least partially (as someone who recently changed her name I have to belive it). It's a matter of habit, really. On the other side, the historian in me disagrees a little. But only a little, becuase I got a nice sounding [!] name for the German equivalent of "Smith". And also because it's not logical.

I just realized I have nothing smart to say today.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

All of my family has a different last name, though it is a very small family. I don't think there's anything wrong with a double-barrelled name, depends what they are maybe - Damien Farquaad-Dibnah might be quite cool. :)

Anyway all names are just something someone made up at some point. Just seems that people think something has more significance if it's been around for a long time.

Strangely though the same thing doesn't seem to happen when someone owes you money, they'll say things like "You're still bothered about that fifty quid you lent me, that was over ten years ago?" :)
  4. Marcia Executive Onion

Call yourself whatever you want. I don't think there's anything wrong with a double-barrelled name, but if you don't like one, then don't use one.

For some things I use my maiden name, for some I use my married name, and for some things I use my married name as my middle name.

I was thinking of hyphenating, but the combined name would have been so long only one of the names would have fit on forms anyway.

I don't think it's necessary to have the same name as the rest of your family.
  5. Hsing Moderator

No, it's not - or rather, the only significant thing is how you feel about it. i felt i wanted to share my children's name - my aunt kept her name while her husband's name became the "family name" (i.e. the name to be passed on to their children). I think we're both fine. Mostly due to the fact, though, that we did have a choice.
  6. Trollmother New Member

I think you should think about it for a while and then decide. We have different names in our family. I kept my name since my first marriage, I've had it since I was 20, and everybody here knows me with it. Of my eldest daughters Susanne kept her maiden name when she got married and Sylvia took her husband's name. My two youngest has their father's name. and of course he too wears it. (It would be funny if he took another :) When I divorced my first husband I considered taking back my maiden name but it is so many places to change, driver's license, passport, bank accounts, telephone and so on so I gave up the idea.
  7. Sir_Gawain New Member

Families with different names are no problem. Though a bit confusing. My mother did not change her maiden name when she got married, and my sister has my moher's name while my brother and I have our father's. Though it is funny hearing people's voices change when I tell them the person they're asking for is a) dead, or b) living in florida. :badgrin: And my sister and I can get away with pretending we are not sisters.

So you don't have to change your name if you do not want to. It sounds as though the name will live on as it is being added to your brother's.

[quote:b6c2aadd6b="Maljonic"] Anyway all names are just something someone made up at some point. Just seems that people think something has more significance if it's been around for a long time.
    [/quote:b6c2aadd6b]

Actually, names were usally given as staus things. If I could speak Gailick (spelling?) I could probably find out something about my ancestors. For example 'Atwood' means your ancestors may have lived by the wood, or 'Younger' means that one of your ancestors was named after their father. Can anyone guess what the last name 'Smith' means? :lol:
  8. Maljonic Administrator

Yes I know, like I said people made them up. :)
  9. Sir_Gawain New Member

Eh, true, I guess. But I doubt people chose them themselves. Who wants to be stuck with 'Younger' all their lives. And imagine the poor person with a last name like 'unknownson' :lol:
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that everyone made up their own names; just that the labels we give ourselves were just made up by someone, a person, in the first place so that it doesn't have to be a big deal if you want to change it. :)
  11. Sir_Gawain New Member

>< I actually have just been told I was wrong. I was literally held down and given a lecture on the origin of surnames. Tris, (aka LaughingFire) you can post here if you really want to talk that much about it. She probably won't. She just likes to tell me things, even if force is needed. Apearently people did choose them, once having a last name became fasionable. They were just uninventive. To make a long story short.

But no, it isn't a big deal to change it. Sometimes a change is in order, no?
  12. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's a small class grudge I have against double barrelled names. They're for the Arstocrats in mine eyes (i.e twats). And not for the likes of me. If I had one I'd have to start wearing a top hat and enjoy polo, i just don't think I could pull it off.

And also i don't like the sound of the new name, it doesn't flow well.

I am thinking about changing my name anyway, into something newer, bigger, FASTER!
  13. Pepster New Member

I recently did a little investigation into my surnames origins,

It turned out to be a scottish clan name of viking origin. Apparently we invaded the place then decided to stick around.

Edit: oh and I am intending on taking my wifes name.
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

We'll know who wears the pants in that house! ;)

I think it should be decided on who was the best name.
  15. Pepster New Member

[quote:bdffb4bb72="Rincewind"]I am thinking about changing my name anyway, into something newer, bigger, FASTER![/quote:bdffb4bb72]

Damien Nubigunfast perhaps or maybe Damien P Express :)
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Damien BetterthanGodJesusand7ofthe12aposalsputtogetter.
  17. Maljonic Administrator

Just rolls of the tounge, a dodeca-barrelled name. :)
  18. Pepster New Member

Damien "Space for rent Here" :)
  19. Maljonic Administrator

That's a good idea, Damien dream-dating.org :)
  20. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:ac984d27ae]But no, it isn't a big deal to change it. [/quote:ac984d27ae]

Er, yes it is, as Trollmother mentioned. It means changing bank records, tax records, credit cards, passport, driving license, school records, insurance records, job records, medical records, etc.

I spent almost a month and a half at work not knowing how to introduce myself because our IT department changed my name on just one of two email systems, and I don't know which email systems people have.
  21. Maljonic Administrator

No but Gawain doesn't mean it's not a big deal in that way, obviously you have to change all your mundane records, she just means that it's not a big deal from a psychological/sociological point of view if you want to change your name. At least that's what I think she means, that's what I meant anyway. :)
  22. Sir_Gawain New Member

Yes, that i what I meant too. Of course, with civilization and everything you would have to go through mountains of paper work and wanting to strangle people and such, but what I meant was changing your name doesn't makes you a different person or anything such as that.
  23. Saccharissa Stitcher

Pretend you're Spanish, Damien. They all have a double name; the first is the first surname of the father and the second is the first surname of the mother.

All in all, it's up to you.
  24. spiky Bar Wench

Theres been so many marriages and remarriages in my family that at one point in time, 4 people in the one house had 3 different last names. DO you know how hard it is to answer the phone and do the "this is the Smiths-Brown-WIlliams residence" with that many names?

If your mum wanted to do this she should have figured it out sooner, ie before you were born. Now its just too late. Its like homework, without a doctors certificate its too bad so sad.
  25. Electric_Man Templar

I think the real issue here is Rinso's irrational prejudice against double-barrelled names.

It's beyond a joke, what have they ever done to you, Rinso? Did they kill your family? No. Did the they turn you upside-down and flush you down the toilet? No (although they should've done). You have the tolerance of the Daily Mail in an Islamic-German immigration camp.
  26. Delphine New Member

I think the only time I'd change my name would be if I were to get married. Turnbull is a Noble Clan name with its own tartan. :)
  27. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:c19a7e92b5="Delphine"]I think the only time I'd change my name would be if I were to get married. [/quote:c19a7e92b5]

So Turnbull for life then.;)
  28. Perdita New Member

Do you have any 'Mc' or 'O' eg O Malley or Mc Caffery as part of your new or old surname rinso. If you do then I would totally agree that double barrelling would be a annoying.

Also- find out what both names mean before you do anything you could be calling yourself something weird like Damien Flynn-Kennedy
    or Damien bright red- helmet head as it seems to translate as!

When I was checking the translation I also found this statement which I thought was interesting..

'It should be noted that the Scottish Gaels were actually descendants of Gaelic emigrants to Scotland. The word 'Scotus' is Latin for 'Irishman'. Scottish settlers who moved to Ireland (and especially Ulster) may already have been of Gaelic Irish descent.'