Holy Olympics Batman, it's a... logo !

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

[IMG]So this is the new logo for the 2012 olympics in London.

Here are a few comments : 2012 Olympics logo debuts to whalesong | The Register

Personnally, it took me about 10 minutes and all my logo-designing training to work out the shapes were supposed to make this :

I can has debate ?
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

It is absolutely awful. The urine-coloured shading, the purple, the font, the overall shape of it, the weird diamond in the middle...
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

no more lol-speak outside of lolspecific threads please.

but yeah, that's... that's one big tall order of suck right there. probably cost a few hundred thousand, too.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Sorry Garner...

£400,000 it cost, it did... Remind me to design more logos in the future...
  5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

jesus on a stick!

who do i have to blow to get a graphic design contract with the london olympic comittee?
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Rinso.

(what ? it's worth a try !)
  7. jaccairn New Member

As I said to someone yesterday. Couldn't they find a proper graffiti artist - they at least might have come up with something original.

Also part of the animation they had on their website involved flashing bright colours which set off some people's epilepsy. Seems they hadn't bothered to run it through the gizmo which can test for this.

Of course they could just have had a competition which at least would have got people involved with it and have been cheaper - the BBC has been deluged with alternative designs since the original one was announced.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Quite so, I can remember doodling things that looked very much like that in the mid-eighties. I was 7 at the time.

Oh and Coppe, either your screen is weird or I'm worried about your urine, it's bright pink and flashy yellow, not purple and urine...
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Ah yes, but we're seeing it "out of time", in 2012 it will look absolutely fooking brilliant!
  10. Stercus Stercus New Member

Well what can I say, I'm not artistically minded and even I can see that this is crap. I don't see what was wrong with the previous one.

[IMG]
  11. TamyraMcG Active Member

Mal you are an eternal optimist or you are cynical as hell, I don't know which one I'm hoping for. That logo reminds me a little of some pansies I grew last year but it doesn't make me think of London or the Olympics at all. I hope 2012 isn't as f***ed up as this logo.
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think it's a seriously crap logo that cost too much money, but I don't think it really matters that it's crap.
  13. Electric_Man Templar

I think it was designed purely to get people talking about it and create publicity at a time when the organisation is sliding out of the public eye.

Besides, with all this talking about it, it has become one of the most recognisable logos in the world - and that's what logos are all about, right?
  14. spiky Bar Wench

My favourite part of the logo is the zero which is strangely reminiscent of the Australian continent... Your just so envious that you can't not include us in everything...

This is what you get when art is decided by committee, some half-arsed attempt at modern and cool which ends up looking wanky and very 70s. Makes the Sydney logo look good (this one was chosen by competition).

[IMG]
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hell, it makes ANY other logo look good !
  16. Cynical_Youth New Member

Heh, nah, I have problems distinguishing shades of colours.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, think yourself lucky in this case, I think I would have prefered purple and urine...
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I thought that too.
  19. Tephlon Active Member

Some people say it looks like Lisa Simpson orally servicing Bart.

And lo and behold, the guys at Beta came up with this:
    (http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/20659/1180966335/dothebartman.gif)

(Sorry for the animated gif, but it was just too funny not to post.) - I (garner) edited it out for the delicate sensibilities of those like Plaid, who would be left saying 'um.... gee' for the rest of their life after such trauma.

Other people found out how they
    made the logo by recycling an old familiar one.
    [IMG]

Second edit to change colour of Garner's comments so as to avoid confusion. - Buzzfloyd
  20. Roman_K New Member

Aah! My eyes! My eyes! Is there no horror Man is unable to produce?
  21. Electric_Man Templar

Well, they produced you, so the answer would have to be no.
  22. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's not. Trust me.

Unless of course you are a hot female...sadly garner fails on both accounts.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's about 40°C here, and I'm a female. Does that count ? Actually, I'd rather it didn't.
  24. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I doubt you can provide the paper work to back up either of those facts.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

I would, if it wasn't life-threatening to do so.
  26. Roman_K New Member

I wasn't produced by humans. Count Arthur de Gobineau was quite clear on the matter.
  27. sampanna New Member

Count Arthur de Gobineau should see that logo :)