How I spend my Holidays

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Saccharissa, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Saccharissa Stitcher

(I am in NYC now, but I found a way of going online that does not go through Kinko's so I'll try and catch up with my Philly experiences)

These boots are made for walking

Colour me in love with Philly.

Granted, the first thing I saw when I got off the metro at 5th Street was the Court House and my heart sank. For those of you who haven't seen it, it is a monolithic building. Just watching it made me want to pick up a thigh bone at hurl it at someone. Preferably to whoever paid good money to have this built.

But just a block from Market Street, beautiful two-story houses lined the streets, colourful shutters, brick facades and even some mosaics made of pieces of tile and mirrors.

I saw the most of them that first day downtown. I felt peckish, so I walked all the way from Market Street to Pat's Steak House (thus forever rendering myself bat-shit crazy in the eyes of my uncles) and from there I walked to Penn's Landing and right back up Market Street to the 15th Street station.

What? I could *hear* the cheese-stakes going to my butt before I even took my first bite.

The Old City is absolutely gorgeous. And even the run-down areas only need a lick of paint and a spot of gardening in order to look amazing as well. Philadelphia kept the colonial-style houses (think Victorian without the tons of trimming) and even most of the skyscrapers around the City Hall have an interesting shape.

Philadelphia's motto is "The City that loves you back".

Well, Philly, right back atcha ;)
  2. Tephlon Active Member

You should check out Phables.

Brad Guigar's (From 'Evil, Inc.' and 'Greystone Inn' fame) stories of Philadelphia.