I love you!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Trollmother, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Trollmother New Member

All of you of course. But I can't tell you in so many languages. It's S:t Valentines day soon and the children wanted to know how to say I love you in different languages. I can say Ich liebe dich in German, Je t'aime in French, Te amo in Spanish, Minä rakastan sinoa in Finnish and of course Jag älskar dig in Swedish. But they wanted more. Can you help me? And please transcribe it if you use other letters so I can (at least try) pronounce it.

edit spelling
  2. mowgli New Member

:)

Russian: Ya teBYA lyubLYU (lyu sounds like the first syllable in Lucy)

Ukrainian: Ya TEbeh koHAHyu
  3. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:f6d1218d12="Trollmother"]All of you of course. Except Doors But I can't tell you in so many languages. It's S:t Valentines day soon and the children wanted to know how to say I love you in different languages. I can say Ich liebe dich in German, Je t'aime in French, Te amo in Spanish, Minä rakastan sinoa in Finnish and of course Jag älskar dig in Swedish. But they wanted more. Can you help me? And please transcribe it if you use other letters so I can (at least try) pronounce it.

edit spelling[/quote:f6d1218d12]

Fixed.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

In Japanese to say I love you it's usually said like this: [b:67e420db85]Aishiteru[/b:67e420db85]

The [b:67e420db85]Ai[/b:67e420db85] at the beginning means love and is pronounced a lot like '[b:67e420db85]eye[/b:67e420db85]' as in the orbs you see with.

You don't really pronounce the '[b:67e420db85]i[/b:67e420db85]' in [b:67e420db85]shiteru[/b:67e420db85] so it sounds more like [b:67e420db85]shteru[/b:67e420db85] with the [b:67e420db85]sh[/b:67e420db85] being a short [b:67e420db85]sh[/b:67e420db85] like in [b:67e420db85]shoe[/b:67e420db85].

The '[b:67e420db85]te[/b:67e420db85]' is the same as the first two letters in [b:67e420db85]television[/b:67e420db85] and the [b:67e420db85]ru[/b:67e420db85] sound like [b:67e420db85]roo[/b:67e420db85], or perhaps more like the [b:67e420db85]ru[/b:67e420db85] in [b:67e420db85]ruin[/b:67e420db85].

So [b:67e420db85]Aishiteru[/b:67e420db85] = [b:67e420db85]eye-sh-te-roo[/b:67e420db85]

There was a pop song called Aishiteru that played every day on the radio in all the shops for about a month when I lived there years ago, I can still here it now. :)
  5. Cynical_Youth New Member

Dutch:

Ik hou van jou.

"Ik" is pronounced like the end of "thick."
    "Hou" is pronounced like the same letters in "house."
    "Van" is pronounced like ""faun" but with a "v"-sound.
    "Jou" is pronounced like "hou", but with the "y"- consonant sound.

A nice iambic rhyme. :)
  6. Tephlon Active Member

Portuguese: "Amo-te"

The o sounds like the long oo in oops
    "A-moo-te"
  7. Hsing Moderator

"Te iubesc"

Romanian. "Te" like the Latin "Te" more or less, and the iubes like an English speaker might read "you-besque"... no garantuees from [i:68bc5b9590]me[/i:68bc5b9590], though!
  8. Andalusian New Member

70s Australian: "Jeez yerr a beaut shelia (?)" or "Jeez yerr grouse, luv (?)"

Pronounced how spelt, with the raise in pitch at the end. Fair dinkum real Aussie, that is.
  9. koshu New Member

in afrikaans:

Ek as in ak
    Lief as in leef
    na as in naa
    jou as in yo

note: the as in's are said like spelt
  10. Marcia Executive Onion

Yiddish: Ich lieb dir.
  11. Victimov8 New Member

I just played Trivial Pursuits with my friends and had the Afrikaans version of 'I love you' as a question! Cheers Koshu 8)

Not the world's most romantic sounding language methinks
  12. Sir_Gawain New Member

Ti amo is Italian, I believe.
  13. Hsing Moderator

We've got so many nationalities around, there have to be a few more...
  14. Trollmother New Member

What a goldmine this site is - ask and you be answered. But Rinso is a naughty boy :)
  15. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Yes, Rinso is a naughty boy.

Sampanna, what is it in Hindi? I know that love is "prem"

Whatever it is, I bet it ends with 'hai'
  16. koshu New Member

[quote:b728cb1a57="Victimov8"]I just played Trivial Pursuits with my friends and had the Afrikaans version of 'I love you' as a question! Cheers Koshu 8)

Not the world's most romantic sounding language methinks[/quote:b728cb1a57]

It has its uses, glad it came in handy :)
  17. Saccharissa Stitcher

In greek it's Σ'αγαπώ.

Pronounciation tip.

Take the syllable 'ya'. There is a consonant at the beginning, followed by an 'i' and an 'a'. Remove the 'i',

Pronounciation: Sa(ya-i)pO.
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

19. spiky Bar Wench

In bahasa (Malay or Indonesian, doesn't matter its the same):

Saya cinta ku

I love you

Pronounced:

Sai-ya chin-ta koo

There was a dangdut song that went

ABC* Saya cinta ku -- over and over again and made me wnt to go kill someone.

*ABC pronounced in Dutch is Ah - Bay - Chay
  20. mowgli New Member

[quote:060aca12d0="Katcal"]Here's a list of I love you in loads and loads of languages :
    http://www.worldpath.net/~hiker/iloveyou.html

:D :lol:[/quote:060aca12d0]

Awesome find, Katcal ;) . It's amazing, though, how many languages seem to have the same root, judging by how similar their words for "I love you" sound. For example, the Lithuanian and Latvian words sound similar to those from Slavic languages, and I thought they'd be closer to Finnish :p

::wanders off, muttering weird etymological theories::
  21. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:901e761293="mowgli"]Awesome find, Katcal ;) . It's amazing, though, how many languages seem to have the same root, judging by how similar their words for "I love you" sound. For example, the Lithuanian and Latvian words sound similar to those from Slavic languages, and I thought they'd be closer to Finnish :p

::wanders off, muttering weird etymological theories::[/quote:901e761293]
    Most European languages have the same origins. They have been traced back to one common source, which is called Proto-Indo-European. There is no archeological evidence for this language, (it's a purely theoretical language) but there is broad etymological justification for it. Finnish, Basque and Hungarian are the only European languages that are not descendants of this language (supposedly spoken somewhere in Ukraine thousands of years ago as deduced from migratory patterns). :)
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Thanks CY for giving me scientific proof to support my theory that the Basques are really weird bastards. :D
  23. Perdita New Member

I had to look this up because I couldn't think of the right word for love in this context!

My dictionary came up with:

tá mé chomh mór sin I ngrá leat

which means: I love you so much.

ta= 'ta' as in tap
    me= As in 'may'
    chomh= this word sounds like the word 'give' with a 'h' sound instead of a 'g' sound at the start- it does not sound like 'hive'(were bees live) if that makes sense?
    mor= more
    sin=shin
    i ngra = sounds like 'eh gra' with shourt emphasis on the 'eh' sound.
    leat= sounds like 'Latte' (coffee) without the 'e' sound on the end

phew. I would record it and send that if I could -it would be much easier!
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

Err, Perdita, what language is that ?
  25. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:ec3932982c="Katcal"]Thanks CY for giving me scientific proof to support my theory that the Basques are really weird bastards. :D[/quote:ec3932982c]

Heh, it goes even further. Finnish and Hungarian have links to each other. Basque is just completely unexplained. :)
  26. mowgli New Member

[quote:231ff952b4="Cynical_Youth"]Heh, it goes even further. Finnish and Hungarian have links to each other. Basque is just completely unexplained. :)[/quote:231ff952b4]

here's one theory: my High School Spanish teacher told us that the Basques are descendants of Georgians (as in, the former Soviet Georgia, "Sakartvelos", a very interesting culture from the Caucasian mountains),
    who at one point migrated down Europe to escape some kind of persecution. They hit a sea and stopped :p
  27. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:2437ecfd07="Katcal"]Err, Perdita, what language is that ?[/quote:2437ecfd07]

Gaelic I presume, no-one else pronounces 'mh' as a 've'
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:b6fe05f7f6="mowgli"][quote:b6fe05f7f6="Cynical_Youth"]Heh, it goes even further. Finnish and Hungarian have links to each other. Basque is just completely unexplained. :)[/quote:b6fe05f7f6]

here's one theory: my High School Spanish teacher told us that the Basques are descendants of Georgians (as in, the former Soviet Georgia, "Sakartvelos", a very interesting culture from the Caucasian mountains),
    who at one point migrated down Europe to escape some kind of persecution. They hit a sea and stopped :p[/quote:b6fe05f7f6]
    They stopped, the feeling persecuted didn't... :roll:
  29. Perdita New Member

[quote:090fdb5b17="Electric_Man"][quote:090fdb5b17="Katcal"]Err, Perdita, what language is that ?[/quote:090fdb5b17]

Gaelic I presume, no-one else pronounces 'mh' as a 've'[/quote:090fdb5b17]

Sorry for the confusion. It is North-west Irish gaelic!
  30. Perdita New Member

[quote:d5b464b0f6="mowgli"][quote:d5b464b0f6="Cynical_Youth"]Heh, it goes even further. Finnish and Hungarian have links to each other. Basque is just completely unexplained. :)[/quote:d5b464b0f6]

who at one point migrated down Europe to escape some kind of persecution. They hit a sea and stopped :p[/quote:d5b464b0f6]

I would imagine hitting the sea would make anyone want to stop! :D
  31. spiky Bar Wench

Only if they did a belly flop.

Just because they're from Georgia doesn't explain why the language has no European derivations. Georgia is in EUrope of my meagre geography serves me well. This feeling of persecution could just mean that being bloody minded cusses they decided to invent their own language so know one could understand what they were saying and tourists could wonder around looking lost.
  32. mowgli New Member

Hm.... maybe my Spanish teacher was off track after all - according to this wikipedia article, the Basques are more likely to be one of the few ethnic groups never to have migrated ANYWHERE... ever! They stayed in the same spot of land since the paleolythic age, while Spain and the rest of Europe sorta happened around them :)

Oh, and Che Guevarra was apparently a Basque!

edited to remove a stray tag
  33. Ozzer New Member

Sindarin: Im meleth le

Quenya: Ni melme le

:D
  34. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:bbf7d0a80c="mowgli"]They stayed in the same spot of land since the paleolythic age, while Spain and the rest of Europe sorta happened around them :)
    [/quote:bbf7d0a80c]

That's what my teacher of Castellano said as well.