I need Help!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by TheJackal, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TheJackal Member

Okay my computer has a 37.2GB capacity but I've only just over 1GB left.
    Now I've looked around the usual places, like for audio & movies files, which would typically take up lots of space. But loads of GBs are still unaccounted for!

Other things I have done:
    1- I deleted all audio & videos files I could find (mainly on Windows Media Player).
    2- In 'ad or remove programs' I even added up the sizes of each program (to see how much space they took up), which only came to 1GB.
    3- I've already used 'Disk Cleanup' and 'Disk Defragmenter' today.

So basically I'm stumped! Does anyone have any ideas where I could look on my computer for these mysterious space stealing files or are there any programs one can download to find this missing space?
  2. chrisjordan New Member

Make sure you've emptied the recycle bin. They still take up disk space in there.
  3. Ba Lord of the Pies

Interesting. Disc clean-up would have deleted all the internet temp files, so that can't be it. The programs aren't the problem. Puzzling.

One thing, does Jackal use Internet Explorer, or Firefox? Ba is not sure, but he thinks that Firefox stores temp files in a different location than Explorer, which may mean that they were not deleted by disc clean-up.
  4. Electric_Man Templar

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest right-clicking on folders, selecting the properties and seeing how much is on each folder. Hopefully this will narrow down where the offending extra files are. Do this recursively, i.e. start with the folders in the C: (or whatever it's called on your comp) drive, then look at the folders in the folder with most stuff and so on.
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

There's a file called hiberfil.sys, usually located at C:\. This can grow pretty large, more exactly to the size of your installed RAM + the size of your pagefile.

This file only makes sense if you use the hibernate mode to suspend your computer. If you don't, follow this guide to disable hibernate mode.
  6. TheJackal Member

[quote:93169a5d12="chrisjordan"]Make sure you've emptied the recycle bin. They still take up disk space in there.[/quote:93169a5d12]

I empty my recycle bin daily- hate wasting space in there!
  7. TheJackal Member

[quote:84f8257c2c="Ba"]Interesting. Disc clean-up would have deleted all the internet temp files, so that can't be it. The programs aren't the problem. Puzzling.

One thing, does Jackal use Internet Explorer, or Firefox? Ba is not sure, but he thinks that Firefox stores temp files in a different location than Explorer, which may mean that they were not deleted by disc clean-up.[/quote:84f8257c2c]

I use Internet Explorer
  8. TheJackal Member

[quote:6050b499ff="KaptenKaries"]There's a file called hiberfil.sys, usually located at C:\. This can grow pretty large, more exactly to the size of your installed RAM + the size of your pagefile.

This file only makes sense if you use the hibernate mode to suspend your computer. If you don't, follow this guide to disable hibernate mode.[/quote:6050b499ff]

Found it. There was 511MB in it. I followed the link's instructions and have now de-selected hibernate mode (which I've never really liked!). Cheers :)
  9. TheJackal Member

[quote:d9d3242f7d="Electric_Man"]If you haven't done so already, I would suggest right-clicking on folders, selecting the properties and seeing how much is on each folder. Hopefully this will narrow down where the offending extra files are. Do this recursively, i.e. start with the folders in the C: (or whatever it's called on your comp) drive, then look at the folders in the folder with most stuff and so on.[/quote:d9d3242f7d]

I had been checking folders randomly, which was probably my problem. I'm now checking each in order; it's tedious but I'm finding big files here & there, and my free space is growing gradually
  10. TheJackal Member

Finished checking all the main folders in the C drive. Found 7GB of songs & album images hiding away on me in 1 file! Currently giving out to those responsible & getting them to delete all songs not needed!

So now I have space again. Happy days!! Cheers for all the suggestions lads :D
  11. Tephlon Active Member

Next time just do a search (All files and folders) and specify a minimum size of 1.000.000 Kb.
    You'll find all the big files with that. :)
  12. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:dd5ff833a8="Tephlon"]Next time just do a search (All files and folders) and specify a minimum size of 1.000.000 Kb.
    You'll find all the big files with that. :)[/quote:dd5ff833a8]

Smartypants and cruel for withholding this peice of information until after he'd manually checked. I like it.
  13. sampanna New Member

You need something like this:
    http://www.silurian.com/win32/chart.htm

Disclaimer: I'm on Linux, and have never used this .. check for reviews. Anyway, there should be plenty more softwares like this.
  14. TheJackal Member

The saga of my computer continues. One of 4 brothers, none of whom is admitting it, did something bad to the computer & it had to be reset.

So basically, a few days after spending ages looking for missing GBs of spce, the whole damn thing was reset to the original settings! What a waste of my time!

And to top things off, I cannot find mthe installation discs for my scanner or printer. For some reason, the computer is not automatically detecting that they are plugged into the computer! I hate PC technology; never works properly for long periods of time!
  15. chrisjordan New Member

Burn it. Burn it all. :rolleyes:
  16. Electric_Man Templar

Don't forget the brothers in that 'it'.

You should be able to find the drivers for the scanner and printer on the manufacturers website(s). Either that or ring them to get a spare disc. But downloading is quicker.
  17. TheJackal Member

[quote:41e023d4d4="Electric_Man"]Don't forget the brothers in that 'it'.

You should be able to find the drivers for the scanner and printer on the manufacturers website(s). Either that or ring them to get a spare disc. But downloading is quicker.[/quote:41e023d4d4]

Yep, got the printer driver earlier & it's just working now. Scanner driver is also downloaded but not co-operating!
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:370da45f51="chrisjordan should have"]Burn [b:370da45f51]them[/b:370da45f51]. Burn [b:370da45f51]them[/b:370da45f51] all. :rolleyes:[/quote:370da45f51]

(stupid quote system and its lousy grammar)
  19. chrisjordan New Member

As a pronoun for 'that stuff' or 'that junk' or whatever collective noun you'd like to pick, it is fine, surely?

Edit: ...unless your post had nothing at all to do with grammar, and you were just trying to make it sound like a big, horrible clichéd quote of doom, in which case: pffffft.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Burn the [b:7693a60220]brothers [/b:7693a60220]Chris, eradicate the cause, not the symptoms !

The grammar comment was about the quote bit at the top "chris jordan should have wrote" instead of "should have written"