Just don't care for hogwatch film no more

Discussion in 'THE DEATH BOOKS' started by coke_and_chocolate, Dec 7, 2006.

1. coke_and_chocolate New Member

Sky one has a 12 days of xmass thing and film you can watch of Hogwatch. I am loading the Death part now and THE VOICE SUCKS. He sounds like some old grandpa telling a farty xmass story.

THIS SUCKS, man I am pissed. What is so f'n 'tall, dark, and grave' and 'deep as the grave' 'operatic' whatever in this Sir Ian whoever guy??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Now I don't care if I do see the film or not.

:evil: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Damnit.
  2. drunkymonkey New Member

It'll probably grow on you. I imagine Death's voice would be very hard to put on screen. The voice isn't perfect no, but hey, at least we're [i:09dab47ae3]getting[/i:09dab47ae3] a TV show...
  3. Electric_Man Templar

Deep breaths c&c, it's just an adaptation, it won't take away from the magic of the books.

Now, they aren't going to get Death's voice right until they develop the technology that dumps words directly into your brain without needing to use all those unreliable air molecules to transfer the sound. I haven't actually seen the trailers, so I don't know whether it is bad or not, but the important thing for the actor is to convey Death's emotions properly, not the accent he delivers it in. It would have to be a really bad accent (I dunno, a high pitched Mexican voice maybe - though that would be freaking hilarious), to spoil the show as a whole.

So to conclude, my advice is to watch the programme first, then make your decision as to whether it was worth watching or not.
  4. KaptenKaries New Member

I liked the clips presented on SkyOne's Hogswatch page. I'm gonna get the dvd, if/when it becomes available.
  5. Maljonic Administrator

Me too, looks cool. :)
  6. mowgli New Member

Me three :)
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

i don't think the voice was perfect- Not booming enough for me. But it's certainly not bad. And will probably work well. I think the show looks really good.
  8. that was the 1st thing i thought when i saw the ad. they have death's look and voice really wrong... although seeing as it's from a book i don't think anyone will ever be able to get it 100%. tbh i don't know how they're gonna do half the stuff in the book. most of what makes it brilliant is in the writing!
  9. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:99ac398a6b="warning_i_have_a_blanket"]that was the 1st thing i thought when i saw the ad. they have death's look and voice really wrong... although seeing as it's from a book i don't think anyone will ever be able to get it 100%. tbh i don't know how they're gonna do half the stuff in the book. most of what makes it brilliant is in the writing![/quote:99ac398a6b]Well, yes, books tend to be brilliant because of the words (Ooh, the sarcasm!).

[quote:99ac398a6b="KaptenKaries"]I liked the clips presented on SkyOne's Hogswatch page. I'm gonna get the dvd, if/when it becomes available.[/quote:99ac398a6b]It will be a crime against humanity if they don't bring it out on DVD/Vid.
  10. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

That really is the trouble with books. They cause you to use your imagination which, let's face it, is never the same as someone else. I had a few negative thoughts about the BBC adaption of Johnny and the Bomb. It just didn't seem right especially without Guilty but, having watched it a couple of times since, all the main points of the plot were covered.

I'm looking forward to the showing of "The Whole Hog" on Sunday 10th Dec at 8pm (SkyONE) This is the program that is going to show how the Hogfather was actually filmed. It should be an interesting insight into the Director's imagination.
  11. evilswerve New Member

DVD release in the UK will be the beginning of March.

Not sure of date outside of UK.
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Thanks, Evilswerve.
  13. i take back everything i said wrong about the hogfather film... except that teatime got on my nerves. wasn't there an actor about 20 years ago who played a part exactly like that? (can't think of his name at the moment.) but apart from that it blew me away!
  14. KaptenKaries New Member

Could you perhaps be thinking of Alex from Clockwork Orange?
  15. yes i think so. thanks kk, that was annoying me!
  16. coke_and_chocolate New Member

I like Death's look just not his voice. Christopher Lee who did the voice in the animations was better.

I certainly would like to get that DVD.

:)