Macaroons

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by chrisjordan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. chrisjordan New Member

Macaroons!

I have just eaten one.

There are several types of macaroons, or so I hear. However, coconut macaroons are the only ones I have ever tried, and until recently the only ones of which I ever knew. Thus they have a special place in my mouth.

They are delicious. Small and round and flat and covered with lines of chocolate like a small and round and flat coconut zebra, ideal for pocket as well as mouth storage.

What are your thoughts on macaroons? I realise this is slightly more political than the usual topics, but I think that it would make for some intelligent discussion, and will no doubt raise some interesting ethical and moral points.

Also, I am drinking tea.
  2. Angua_rox New Member

How can you drink tea? Ew. (I realise that I am in the minority on this one, but I am also right.)

Macaroons. . . yum.

Shortbread. . . doubletriplequadrupleinfinity yum.
  3. Delphine New Member

Macaroons... meh. I find them politically dangerous in these troubled times when biscuit warfare is such an issue in tins around the world. While not as elitist as the rich tea, and less pandering than the hobnob, I'm not sure I like the suggestion of strong right wing sentiments indicated in those chocolate lines. If you ask me it's indicative of an indecisive political message, possibly hiding potential dictatorship tendancies.
  4. Electric_Man Templar

Ah, but it is through tea drinking that the English became to be the bastion of polite society, and we'll gut the bastards who say otherwise.

Macaroons are not a common tea accompaniment, but are a plausible alternative to that well known tea sidekick - the biscuit. I haven't actually had a macaroon in ages, but the coconut ones bring back fond memories. Maybe I should buy some, maybe I should continue being lazy and cheap.
  5. chrisjordan New Member

*stomps Ella*
  6. Saccharissa Stitcher

I have never tasted macaroons like the ones mentioned. But in Greece we have melomakarona every Christmas, a pastry made of semolina that also has cinnamon, clove, walnuts and is drenched in a honey-based syrup.

And Ella...ROTFLMAO!
  7. chrisjordan New Member

Chris says:
    why isn't ella on msn, anyway?

Ben says:
    dunno, because she's a bich?

Chris says:
    YEAH

Ben says:
    maybe we should post that
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I won't have any macaroons in my house. I think they should all be sent back where they came from!
  9. KaptenKaries New Member

I have no idea what macaroons are. To be true, I thought it was some kind of pasta.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:ebdb5560eb="KaptenKaries"]I have no idea what macaroons are. To be true, I thought it was some kind of pasta.[/quote:ebdb5560eb]
    :lol:

Macaroons are yummy, but there are different types, and the coconut ones are quite different to the almond-based ones (Macarons) that are the most popular in France:

Coconut :
    [img:ebdb5560eb]http://www.seashoretaffy.com/images/35.jpg[/img:ebdb5560eb]

Almond biscuits :
    [img:ebdb5560eb]http://www.urbanpath.com/photos/london/laduree-macaroons.jpg[/img:ebdb5560eb]

The coconut ones are very yummy, especially with those choccy lines on them, but I have a great memory of standing outside a "Macaron" shop in St Emillion (that place where expensive wine comes from) smelling the amazing smell of the fresh biscuits cooking and cooling... You could see people coming up the street guided by the smell, it was quite amazing ! And they were absolutely delicious I must say.
  11. sampanna New Member

I was about to say that coconut macaroons, in particular, are indescribably evil. On the other hand, the ones I have eaten definitely do not look like the photo Kat has put up. Given this, I am inclined to believe that I have eaten a mutant version of the product, something on the lines of the cheese naan.
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:353ef3caab="KaptenKaries"]To be true, I thought it was some kind of pasta.[/quote:353ef3caab]
    Can't quite tell if you're joking or being serious, there, KK. In case of the latter, you're thinking of macaroni.
  13. Cynical_Youth New Member

I have had macaroons!

Just so you know.
  14. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:322e363fd0="Buzzfloyd"][quote:322e363fd0="KaptenKaries"]To be true, I thought it was some kind of pasta.[/quote:322e363fd0]
    Can't quite tell if you're joking or being serious, there, KK. In case of the latter, you're thinking of macaroni.[/quote:322e363fd0]

I was being serious. It's only one letter difference, after all.
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool. I didn't want to ignore you, but I didn't want to be unintentionally patronising either.
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

all in favor of CJ marrying plaid, say 'Aye'
  17. spiky Bar Wench

18. sampanna New Member

Plaid, my sympathies.
    Aye.
  19. redneck New Member

Aye, on the condition that we have a doormencon in the US. One that I might even possibly be able to attend.
  20. KaptenKaries New Member

What does this have to do with anything?
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

we're deciding the fate of two star crossed lovers here, cap'n.

and nate, you've already had one doormancon. don't get greedy.
  22. chrisjordan New Member

*applauds*
  23. Orrdos God

[quote:4d2f9d683a="Buzzfloyd"]I won't have any macaroons in my house. I think they should all be sent back where they came from![/quote:4d2f9d683a]

Along with those accursed Luxemburgers
  24. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:a6ebe6538c="chrisjordan"][quote:a6ebe6538c="Cynical_Youth"]I have had macaroons!

Just so you know.[/quote:a6ebe6538c]

*applauds*[/quote:a6ebe6538c]

Thank you, it was quite an achievement. One of them bit me.
  25. redneck New Member

[quote:349c4a7dc1="Garner"]we're deciding the fate of two star crossed lovers here, cap'n.

and nate, you've already had one doormancon. don't get greedy.[/quote:349c4a7dc1]

Clay, that was a pre-doormencon-con. I just got lucky that you all were available, since I was leaving the day of the real one. I'm still planning on attending an actual con in England sometime, but I wouldn't have an aversion to going to one in the States either. At least in the states I could drive a car to it whereas if it's across the pond, well I'm still working on the James Bond modifications on my little Mazda.
  26. Delphine New Member

Nay! I want to marry plaid. Damn you garner, why is chris always your favourite :doubt:
  27. Garner Great God and Founding Father

because you're already married to om.

and plaid's religion will barely let her marry chris. you're completely out of the question.

and just pray that om doesn't find out you've been cheating on her with doors
  28. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:612e7f4374="Garner"]because you're already married to om.

and plaid's religion will barely let her marry chris. you're completely out of the question.

and just pray that om doesn't find out you've been cheating on her with doors[/quote:612e7f4374]

Too freaking right!!

You're cheating on me with Doors? :shock:

Is this like the woman who married the berlin wall. hehe.